Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #1
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3/G
Comprehensive List of Kindle Hacks/Modifications

This thread is mainly for Kindle Keyboard (Kindle 3) hacks. There's a whole wiki page for Kindle Touch hacks! Check it out ->here!<-

I noticed that there seems to be no thread that compiles all the hacks into one topic. So, to make things easy to find, I've decided to make this list of all the Kindle hacks I could gather. I will update it as new ones are made.

If I miss any, please feel free to post them here and I will add them. If you think a hack should go into a different category or there should be a new category, please go ahead and say so.

To install any of these hacks, you will first need the jailbreak.

Also, it's a very good idea to make a folder in your Kindle's root for the uninstallers of the hacks you install, because if the hack is upgraded, the new uninstaller won't work and you won't be able to get the old hack off your Kindle.

I put the hacks into general categories so they'll be easy to find, but if you can't seem to find what you're looking for, you can try searching with Ctrl+F. If you still don't see it, it may not be on this list. You should probably try searching the forums. If you find it, post it here so I can add it!

Here's the current list of tags for hacks that are installed on the Kindle:
NJ - No jailbreak needed to install or use these hacks.
UN - USB Networking is required to use these hacks.
LP - Requires Launchpad.

Screensaver, Font, and Layout Hacks
Font and Screensaver Hacks - The current jailbreak and USBNetworking hacks are also included here.
NJ Changing Fonts Without Hacks - Only reader.pref needs to be edited.
NJ How to Change the Margins - Only reader.pref needs to be edited.
NJ Allow Justification Changes - Only reader.pref needs to be edited.
NJ, UN Change Screensaver Timeout
Readability Mod - Changes "Article Mode" in the browser to make reading better and easier.
Stamping Screensavers - How to add Amazon's "Slide and release the power switch to wake" message on custom screensavers.
Fonts For Body Text - A small study on what fonts are best for reading devices.
Georgia2 - A bolder version of the Georgia font, made specially for the Kindle.
LP Launchpad Prevent Screensaver Ini - Disallows automatic activation of the screensaver.
UN Remove Ads on the KSO
LP Kaffiene - A sleep management utility. Features include preventing standby/screensaver, locking the keyboard, and going to sleep/standby without changing the screen.

Music, Sound, and Audio Book Hacks
LP MPlayer - An excellent audio player for Kindle. Supports OGG, WAV, MP3, FLAC, AAC, streaming and much more.
LP Music Shuffler - For use with the built-in music player.
LP Dictaphone Mod - A Launchpad command that lets you record audio with the microphone.
Audiobook Player - An alternate audiobook player that allows bookmarks.
UN Kindle Voice Control - Control the Kindle with voice commands. Still beta and not completely independent, needs a PC for voice recognition.
LP Kinamp - An Mplayer-based audio player with an on-screen progress bar.

Keyboard and Button Hacks
Physkeyb - A keyboard localization hack. Allows alternate keyboard layouts and symbol shortcuts. (It's recommended to get dsmid's version that includes a timeout. Link)
Launchpad - An internal program launcher; required for some hacks.
Next/Previous Page Using Any Buttons

eBook, Collection, and Clipping Management (All are NJ unless stated otherwise)
calibre - An excellent, free ebook manager for all e-readers. Also converts many, many file formats.
Kindle Book Browser - A Chrome web app that makes it easier to look through the Kindle bookstore.
Kindle Collection Manager
Kindelabra
Automatic Kindle Collection Generator - Uses structure of "Documents" folder
calibrekindlecollections - Makes collections based on metadata from calibre.
Web-Based Kindle Collection Maker
calibre plugin Kindle Collections
Clippings Parser - An application for Windows that converts the clippings file into XML.
Clippings Parser GUI - Same as above, but with a GUI to make things much easier.
Klippings - An application to view clippings much more easily.

Web and Browser Hacks
Kindle HTTP Server
UN Mutt e-mail Client
UN Change Default Google and Wikipedia Searches
FreeDownload Hack - Allows the browser to download any filetype, instead of only the default .mobi, .txt, .azw, and .prc filetypes.
NJ eMonitor - Kindle as an Additional PC Screen - No Kindle hacks required. This only needs a PC to host the live content feed for the Kindle.
KindleVNC - A Kindle VNC client. Supports passwords, mouse, and keyboard control.
Kindle VNC Viewer - Another VNC client; supports passwords, does not support keyboard or mouse control.
UN Use a Local Operator SIM in Kindle 3

Development Tools
UN Merged Developer Keystore - Very useful: contains all the keystores of current software developers. Install this, and you should be able to run all kindlets from this forum.
UN Merged Terminal/Launchpad/Web Server
UN Kindle Terminal App
UN Quick Kindle Root Shell via USB
UN KindleTERM - An SSH Client Kindlet
UN Full Screen Native Kindle Terminal
UN Guide to SSH into the Kindle with USBNetworking
USBNetworking - For those who know what they're doing.
How to Write Kindlets
UN Java Interpreter for Kindle
UN, LP Accessing the Kindle 3 Through WiFi
Kindle 3.1 Kernel Config File
Kindle 3 Serial Plug Design
fbout - Debugging tool, pipe sdout to eink.
UN Bash for Kindle
Perl for Kindle
fbprint - Write text to the eink display at a position (good for feedback with launchpad commands).
mntusb - A script to enable connecting multiple Kindles to a Linux PC, where they will all be usable at once.

Reading Environments and Firmware
NJ How to Install Debian on a Kindle
NJ Installing Debian with a Pre-built Image
FBreader and fbkindle - Alternate book readers for Kindle. Both have epub support
NJ Duokan English Translation
NJ Duokan Lite - An alternate Kindle OS. Supprts PDF, TXT, and EPUB.
Duokan FAQ
Frotz - An interactive fiction reader for Kindle.
KIF - Kindle Interactive Fiction, another interactive fiction reader.
LP CoolReader 3 on Kindle - Supports fb2, txt, html, rtf, chm, epub, and mobi.

Alternate Languages
Language Localization - This one's complex; it's a good idea to read the whole thread.
Keyboard Localization - Also see physkeyb above.
NJ Chinese Duokan - For Kindle 2 only.
UN Google Translate on eBook Search Menu

Manga
Mangize - Manga converter for Kindle
Mangle - Manga viewer for Kindle
Mokle - Manga optimizer for Kindle

Miscellaneous
OptWare for Kindle
UN Disable Log Sending to Amazon
NJ How to put the Kindle 3 in Diagnostic Mode
UN Disable Indexing
NJ Kindle 3.1 FW on Kindle 2 - Still under development, but worth a look.
KindleNote - A free notepad application.
Updates Provider Hack - Should not be used with older jailbreaks or NiLuJe's jailbreak.
UN Calculator App - Scroll down for updated versions. Requires installing (included) developer keys.
NJ Add an Icon When Plugged In
LP Launchpad Rotate Screen Ini - Change screen orientation with a keyboard shortcut.
UN Stop the Kindle from Automatically Flashing the Screen
LP K3Chess - Not really a hack, but cool nonetheless. Free, open-source chess for Kindle.
List of Kindlets

Last edited by Mario1up; 01-02-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Mario1up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
yifanlu
Kindle Dissector
yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yifanlu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Nice list! I hope this gets stickied.
yifanlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 01:29 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
You might want to consider updating/maintening this similar wiki page.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:06 AM   #4
TaureanBull
Guru
TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.TaureanBull can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle 3-3G
Great Job! I was looking for something like this. Thanks.
TaureanBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Nice list. I believe dividing the hacks into groups (eg terminals, screensavers&fonts&layout modifications, music&audio, manga, full alternative reading environments etc) would make it even more useful.
I did not look thoroughly through the list but I think the following hacks might be missing:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=122000
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=126023
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=121008
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119969
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 07:35 AM   #6
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre for organising/converting books:
http://calibre-ebook.com/

Screensaver Stamp:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=108068

Readability Mod:
http://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comme..._for_kindle_3/

KIF (Kindle Interactive Fiction machine):
http://adq.livejournal.com/108011.html
Tanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
Dumbfrotz, another player of Infocom text adventures:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=dumbfrotz
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Music Shuffler
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=113197
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Mario1up
Connoisseur
Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mario1up has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks for the kind comments, guys! And the sticky is great. I added all the hacks you guy posted. I took javanmarr's advice and made sections. I will add a collection manager section later.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
Tanga
Zealot
Tanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toysTanga shares his or her toys

It is a great idea for a thread Mario. It saves trawling through posts looking for something useful (how I found some of the hacks I used).
Old 04-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #11
Mario1up
Connoisseur

Thanks. I love feedback.

NiLuJe, I added a bunch of hacks from the wiki page, thanks. And do you think, instead of having to update both pages, I should just link to this thread on the wiki page?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:01 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Mario1up: Do what you feel most comfortable with, I just wanted to point out a similar endeavor in the Wiki in case you weren't aware of it .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #13
janvanmaar
Addict
janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.janvanmaar has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, Samsung SIII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario1up View Post
Updates Provider Hack - NOT NEEDED ANY MORE because of the 3.1 jailbreak.
Not exactly; the latest yifanlu's jailbreak does not provide this feature anymore and Updates Provider Hack should be used instead. It is not needed and should not be used with older yifanlu's jailbreaks or with NiLuJe's jailbreak.
janvanmaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 11:53 PM   #14
Tanga
Zealot

I think it's worth noting that the FreeDownload hack is especially useful when used in conjunction with other hacks. For example:
  • you can set your epub downloads to be saved to the Documents folder and then view them in fbkindle (or FBReader)
  • you can download ogg, wav, flac, etc files to the Music folder to play with MPlayer
  • you can save z5, z6, z7, etc files to the /developer/kif/work/ folder and play them in KIF.

Being able to download files on the fly really adds to the value of these applications.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #15
PoP
 curly᷂͓̫̙᷊̥̮̾ͯͤͭͬͦͨ ʎʌɹnɔ
PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3₃.₄.₃ PW3&4₅.₁₃.₃
kindlecontrol a windows GUI to turn pages and use the kindle joystick from a PC window https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...Kindle+Control

KJS a java script shell/interpreter kindlet https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...vascript+shell

and a few arm executables I came across...

nano a curses(?) file editor http://android.modaco.com/content/so...r-for-android/

shellinabox ajax terminal emulator providing shell access from a browser https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=shellinabox

bozohttpd
the already listed "webserver" with cgi support https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ight=bozohttpd

mc a curses(?) midnight commander to navigate directories, view, edit, copy, move, erase. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...mmander&page=2

tcpdump to record ip packets (which can be interpret with Wireshark on the PC). http://junxian-huang.blogspot.com/20...1-android.html

tcc the tiny c compiler which can compile on-the-fly (small) c programs on the Kindle itself. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&highlight=tcc

... there is got to be many more
PoP is offline   Reply With Quote