Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Cool Kindle Paperwhite Jailbreak (5.2.0 - 5.3.1, 5.3.4, 5.3.5)

The preferred jailbreak method is now HERE.

Original post:
Spoiler:

Here we go - a jailbreak method that works on Paperwhite devices with Firmware versions 5.2.0, 5.3.0, 5.3.1, 5.3.4, and 5.3.5.

UPDATE 2013-03-19: Please make sure that you are using the latest version of the rescue pack! Standalone versions installed before 2013-03-13, and jailbreaks performed before 2013-03-19, contain a rather serious bug in the rescue pack. If in doubt, re-install the rescue pack (see below for a link), or the jailbreak.

FIRMWARE 5.3.3 and 5.3.6 or later:
This jailbreak cannot be installed on firmware 5.3.3 or any version >= 5.3.6.
Downgrade to an older version (e.g., 5.3.1, or any other supported version) first, install the jailbreak there, then update again to the desired version. The jailbreak as such will survive the update (but you have to reinstall the Kindlet developer certificates and the rescue pack - see the "re-installation required" notes below). Downgrading works exactly like upgrading. Put the update_*.bin on the Kindle, and use Menu > Settings, Menu > Update Your Kindle.

Thanks to youtube user Hunyadi Zsolt, here is a video of the jailbreak installer in action:
Spoiler:

Just download the zip file, extract it and follow the instructions in the README.txt.

By default, the following "components" are installed:
  • The actual device jailbreak, i.e., the certificate which allows to install custom update packages.
  • The Jailbreak Bridge.
  • The Kindlet developer certificates. (standalone installer package here - re-installation possibly required after firmware update.)
  • The Rescue Pack. (re-installation required after firmware update - INSTALL IT! One day, it might save your Kindle...).

You can disable individual components by editing the jailbreak.sh file, but this isn't recommended. After all, there is a very good reason for installing every single one of the components, so I recommend to just stick to the defaults.

It is safe to re-apply the procedure as many times as you want - for instance, if you happen to unregister your device, the developer certificates will be deleted. You can simply re-apply the jailbreak to get them back (only on supported firmwares though).

While it is not recommended to remove the jailbreak - after all, it also allows you to debrick the device - , instructions for doing so can be found here.

PS: And here is another, completely unrelated and off-topic, video:
Spoiler:
Yes - completely off-topic, but funny.

Last edited by ixtab; 11-21-2013 at 03:38 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #2
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Great news!

I think you should post the "FINAL NOTE TO AMAZON" too:

Final Note to Amazon:
Spoiler:
Code:
FINAL NOTE TO AMAZON
--------------------

I know you are reading this, because that's part of your job :-)

Please, pretty please, keep your products modifiable by those who want to
modify them. The developers are not your enemies - we are your allies.
Pretty much all of the tweaks and hacks are actually there to add useful
functionality to the Kindles, to make them even better devices.

I understand that part of the Kindle's success lies in the simple fact
that it's superior to the competitors' products, and I understand that
you want to keep your trade secrets secret. Maybe that is the reason for
the ever-more aggressive obfuscation of the Java classes.

I also realize that a very small part of the information that was published
in the "dev scene" could be considered as a threat. I'm talking about
the ad removal (i.e., disabling Special Offers without paying the nominal
fee). I have personally published such information previously, and retro-
spectively, I shouldn't have done that. Mea culpa. I removed all of it,
and I'm not going to publish anything on that topic again. I don't want
to jeopardize the entire dev scene for a few bucks.

That said, and getting back to the point: Please don't render this
jailbreak method useless. All of the previous methods could be considered
a real threat (in the sense of "security hole"), because they - at least,
in principle - could have happened without the user noticing it, via
some "drive-by" attack. So it's fair to close those holes.
This method cannot be automatically exploited: the user has to knowingly
and willingly take action before anything happens.

So, to conclude: please don't attack the developers' scene and users who
just want to use the full potential of their Kindle.
Oh, and feel free to incorporate the developer-contributed enhancements
into the stock firmware. Almost all of them are using extremely permissive
licenses.

And, as a very last statement: feel free to contact me at the email address
provided in the README file.

-- ixtab, December 2012.

We want to make reading that easy for them.

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-03-2012 at 01:03 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
SeNS
Enthusiast
SeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enoughSeNS will become famous soon enough

Device: Google Nexus 7
Great, thanks a lot! Impressive job, whitehats rulezz 4ever!
SeNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
dos1
20% cooler.
dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dos1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Me and my Kindle are both soooo grateful

dos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
great work ixtab , although i don't own a Paperwhite.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
dasmoover
Connoisseur
dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.dasmoover is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
Awesome, you just saved me $120
dasmoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Great news!

I think you should post the "FINAL NOTE TO AMAZON" too:

We want to make reading that easy for them.
Hehe... well, just leave it in your post, it's immediately below the other announcement
Old 12-03-2012, 12:40 PM   #8
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmoover View Post
Awesome, you just saved me $120
How so?
Old 12-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #9
veezh
plus ça change
veezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beautyveezh does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kindle PW2, Voyage
Thank you, ixtab, for your excellent work.
veezh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:02 PM   #10
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
How so?
It's no longer going in the trash
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:03 PM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Thank you.
I can't wait to get home and try it out.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:06 PM   #12
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
AWESOME, ixtab! I knew that hackers will always win at the end

Last edited by dave2008; 12-03-2012 at 01:26 PM.
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:10 PM   #13
atleon
Enthusiast
atleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitatleon with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
What a great new! Thanks Ixtab!
atleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
great work ixtab, and for the message to amazon in your readme.txt (see, I read it completely ). It is a very positive and responsible message you are sending them, I can only hope they will indeed get in contact with you.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:35 PM   #15
ixtab
(offline)

Bugfix

@all: thanks to everyone for the positive feedback!

Please note that I just updated the file, so the 70 people who already downloaded it should probably download it again, just to be on the safe side.

The bugfix is really only relevant for people who decided to modify the jailbreak.sh, to disable some of the components. In that case, the components were still installed, even if they shouldn't have been. This is fixed now.

In other words: if you simply used the recommended default settings, nothing went wrong, and there is no need to worry.

Last edited by ixtab; 12-03-2012 at 07:59 PM.