Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2024, 01:29 AM   #1
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
It's TECHNICALLY correct.

Sharing this here simply because it amused me. I recently book that has been on my wishlist for a very long time, Zero Line Par Gulzar, or rather ज़ीरो लाइन पर गुलज़ार Today, I got these in my recommendations,

They do all have ONE thing in common with Zero Line Par Gulzar, they're not in English, so I guess the recommendation tag is correct. Flattering too that Kobo apparently thinks I'm some superskilled polyglot. When the reality is I can't even identify all the scripts - I did decipher enough of the Hangeul to read "Foreign and "Korean", but I am not even sure which Cyrllic script that is, or which language the book in some form of the Arabic script is. Nor will I assume that the book written in Hanzi is ipso facto MSM - as much as the CCP would love everyone to make exactly that conclusion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	similar.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	205630  

Last edited by Uncle Robin; 01-07-2024 at 02:08 AM.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 01:54 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
The Cyrillic script is Russian.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2024, 02:07 AM   #3
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
The Cyrillic script is Russian.
Thanks - I thought it might be, but because I know several languages use Cyrllic I wasn't sure. At least the Hangeul was easy - only Korean uses that one
Old 01-07-2024, 08:13 AM   #4
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Kobo thinks highly of your linguistic abilities! If you can read all of those languages, I’ll be very impressed.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 01:13 PM   #5
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cootey View Post
Kobo thinks highly of your linguistic abilities! If you can read all of those languages, I’ll be very impressed.
Me too! I can't read ANY of them, all I know is enough Hangul to recognise a few words of Korean
Advert
Old 01-07-2024, 01:51 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Me too! I can't read ANY of them, all I know is enough Hangul to recognise a few words of Korean
Being able to recognise all those the writing systems is quite something.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 03:55 PM   #7
lensmann
Zealot
lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lensmann ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Boox Max 2, ThinkBook Plus Gen 2
The Arabic script is Arabic. Also, there's something odd going on with the Devanagari in your screenshot, in that Kobo seems to be cutting off the tops of the vowel markers.
lensmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 05:36 PM   #8
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by lensmann View Post
The Arabic script is Arabic. Also, there's something odd going on with the Devanagari in your screenshot, in that Kobo seems to be cutting off the tops of the vowel markers.
I think it's a line spacing issue, possibly also complicated by the fact I'm using dark mode - something Kobo's website doesn't handle perfectly. I used to have the problem when typing devanagari myself in Google Docs long ago, had to go with 1.5 line spacing just to fit in the vowel markers. The first Hindi book I bought from Kobo was in some proprietary font that was a nightmare to read, but the Gulzar book displays fine Arial Unicode, thankfully.
Old 01-07-2024, 06:04 PM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Arabic script is mostly Arabic. Maybe some Iranian/Persian like Farsi sometimes uses it.
Obviously Russia's invasion of Ukraine highlights that the Ukrainians use Cyrillic for Ukrainian. I think the Turks used Arabic script at one stage?
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 07:07 PM   #10
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
The Arabic script is Arabic.
Thanks for that. I can (mostly) tell the difference between Nastaliq and Naksh, but not which language the script is being used for. I know that besides Persian And Urdu there are many languages using the Arabic script and didn't want to imitate the game developers who angered Pakistanis by putting Karachi street signs in some game in Arabic not Urdu. Close enough is not good enough.