Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-11-2023, 09:03 PM   #1
MReader67
MReader67 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Running calibre.exe --shutdown-running-calibre does *NOT* terminate the E-book Viewer

I want to be able to fully exit Calibre and all of its child processes (including things like the E-book Viewer that is built into Calibre for example) using the command line.

My problem is that when running calibre.exe --shutdown-running-calibre *if* I have any ebooks open in the E-book Viewer then those E-book Viewers do not get automatically closed.

This seems to be a bug, because as per the developer Kovid Goyal at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=257495 :
"Worker processes are used for many things in calibre, but they are always killed when quitting calibre. If that is not happening on your system there is something wrong with your system."

This same issue takes place on two different computers so I do not believe this is an issue with my computers. i.e. I think it is a bug.

Steps to reproduce:
1) In Calibre, open an ebook in the E-book Viewer
2) In a command prompt, run the Calibre shutdown command, i.e. calibre.exe --shutdown-running-calibre
3) The ebook will still be open on the screen in the E-book Viewer. Also, if you look in the Task Manager (built into Windows) or use Process Explorer (also a Microsoft product) and you will see that an instance of calibre-parallel.exe continues to be running along with a few child processes.

My Questions:
1) calibre.exe --shutdown-running-calibre
1a) When you run calibre.exe --shutdown-running-calibre should the child processes (including the E-book Viewer instances) be getting exited?
1b) If so, I think this would mean there is a bug in Calibre. Can that bug be fixed?

2) Is there another way to make these child processes close using the command line?
2a) Maybe by passing some python code to calibre.exe as a command line option?
2b) Maybe by passing a command line option to calibre-parallel.exe (which seems to be the E-book Viewer process or its parent) ?
2c) Maybe some other option?

fyi, I have also added this as a bug in the bug tracker here incase it really is a bug:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/calibre/+bug/2023498

As per the calibre bug reporting guidelines:
Question: * The calibre version (get this by looking at the bottom of the main calibre screen)
Answer: Calibre 6.20

Question: * The operating system you are running calibre on (Windows, OS X, Linux)
Answer: Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19045 Build 19045

Question: * If you are reporting a conversion problem, attach the input file and the output file and describe exactly what the problem is.
Answer: No, it is not a conversion problem.

Question: * If you are reporting a problem with a device not being detected in calibre, follow the steps described here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ted-by-calibre
Answer: No, it is not an issue with a device not being detected in calibre.

Question: * If you are reporting a problem with the user interface, describe a set of steps to perform to reproduce the problem.
Answer: No, it is not a problem with the user interface.

Thank you, any help is appreciated!
MReader67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 09:55 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The viewer is an independent program it is not shutdown when quit calibre. Same is true for the editor. This is by design.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2023, 11:45 AM   #3
MReader67

Thank you for the quick response Mr. Goyal. Follow-up question:

"The viewer is an independent program it is not shutdown when quit calibre. Same is true for the editor. This is by design."

Is there a way to automate closing the Viewer and Editor and any other separate apps that calibre launches? Maybe via the command line? Or some other way?

Thanks again!
Old 06-12-2023, 12:32 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Send them the kill signal. How you do it depends on your OS tools.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2023, 01:53 PM   #5
MReader67

Ok Mr. Goyal, thanks again!
Advert