Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-16-2020, 04:19 PM   #1
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I accidentally updated Calibre while Calibre was running.

I have Calibre running in the system tray/notification area when I'm not actively using it. At some point the icon got moved to the overflow section, so I thought I'd exited it before running the new installer.

I didn't get any errors about files in use. Restarting Calibre shows 4.21 in the status bar.

Would running the 4.21 installer again be enough to fix this, or should I uninstall/reinstall?

Last edited by ownedbycats; 07-16-2020 at 04:22 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 05:26 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I have Calibre running in the system tray/notification area when I'm not actively using it. At some point the icon got moved to the overflow section, so I thought I'd exited it before running the new installer.

I didn't get any errors about files in use. Restarting Calibre shows 4.21 in the status bar.

Would running the 4.21 installer again be enough to fix this, or should I uninstall/reinstall?
Run the 4.21 installer again (without Calibre running) and if you get the option fix Calibre, select that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2020, 05:31 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I ran the installer again and used Repair. This time I made sure Calibre was off.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I ran the installer again and used Repair. This time I made sure Calibre was off.
You are good to go.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

I'm a little surprised that I didn't get any errors. Most installers complain if I'm running a program I'm trying to update.
Advert
Old 07-16-2020, 06:19 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
How did calibre get to the tray, via the setting in Prefs->Look and feel or via a 3rd party utility, e.g. the one you use for Stay on top.

I just changed the L&F setting to minimise to the tray, restarted and minimised calibre - I didn't change the Windows setting to show on taskbar, so it was in the tray, and then did an install an got this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2020-07-17 080020.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	180689

My extra buttons utility has a minimise to tray feature that has given me grief. I used it once inadvertently and the task disappeared into the wilderness, had to kill it with task manager, so I have that option disabled. I limit my tray icons to tasks that are run at startup, Programs I run on demand that pop things in there irritate me - task manager, outlook etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 06:25 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Outlook is no longer a bother because I stopped using it since it doesn't work properly with GMail. I use Thunderbird and that works with GMail no problem. The problem with Outlook and Gmail is that when you delete email, all that happens is the tags get removed and the email is still there taking up disk space. U tried to find a solution and there isn't one and this is an issue that a lot of people have. I did read of one person's solution and that was to move to Thunderbird and when I did, all was well.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:36 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
How did calibre get to the tray, via the setting in Prefs->Look and feel or via a 3rd party utility, e.g. the one you use for Stay on top.

I just changed the L&F setting to minimise to the tray, restarted and minimised calibre - I didn't change the Windows setting to show on taskbar, so it was in the tray, and then did an install an got this:

Attachment 180689

My extra buttons utility has a minimise to tray feature that has given me grief. I used it once inadvertently and the task disappeared into the wilderness, had to kill it with task manager, so I have that option disabled. I limit my tray icons to tasks that are run at startup, Programs I run on demand that pop things in there irritate me - task manager, outlook etc.

BR
I use the option in preferences. I do have 4t Tray Minimizer, so I suspect that I might've hit their button by mistake which sent it to the overflow section instead of its usual spot.
Old 07-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Outlook is…
Irrelevant Jon.

I use outlook with hotmail, gmail, isp mail, even lavabit before the NSA stole what I had there. I only my use gmail account for semi spam, i.e. mail I don't keep - most of it gets deleted as soon as I open it, or even before that. When I look at my Gmail account via a browser it reflects exactly what I see in Outlook - I don't know why deletes work for me and not you, maybe we get a different Gmail down here, or I ticked a box you didn't.

Please don't tell me outlook doesn't work again - it has worked for me for decades.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-16-2020 at 06:43 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 07:10 PM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Gremlins, likely.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Usually the Windows installer balks if Calibre is running. (been a while, I just got used to closing before running the MSI)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:32 PM   #12
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Usually the Windows installer balks if Calibre is running. (been a while, I just got used to closing before running the MSI)
The last time I installed calibre while it was running, I got a message about needing a restart to replace files in use during the install.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 12:43 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
the installer checks for runnig calibre.exe and if some files ould not be updated then it will do so automatically on next reboot.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote