Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-05-2023, 12:46 AM   #1
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Every time it updates ....

It Wipes my E-Books??? I updated to 32 gig storage & have 10,000 ebooks!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:49 AM   #2
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
It Wipes my E-Books??? I updated to 32 gig storage & have 10,000 ebooks!
Since you plan on selling it, I wouldn't worry about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955
I am too old for this new mess. But with 8,000 ebooks and counting I forced to use their eReaders. My Kobo Clare is up for sale
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2023, 12:27 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^

Perhaps true.

However, when/if she decides to post on the Flea Market Forum, it would be wise to bring up this issue.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 01:03 PM   #4
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I would tend to suspect that she has a database corruption issue. The easiest solution is to sign out on her Kobo which will not remove the side-loaded books and then sign back in. At that point her side-loaded books will be re-imported. Hopefully, she has been saving the reading status using the KoboUtilities plugin so the status can be restored.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 09:33 AM   #5
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I would tend to suspect that she has a database corruption issue. The easiest solution is to sign out on her Kobo which will not remove the side-loaded books and then sign back in. At that point her side-loaded books will be re-imported. Hopefully, she has been saving the reading status using the KoboUtilities plugin so the status can be restored.

Excellent advice. I hope she takes it. Database corruptions make ANY electronic device difficult to use. From what she said, though, it seems that her books have already been deleted. Your advice should fix the db corruption, and then she can sideload the books back onto the device. If the DB corruption survives a logout, then she’ll probably have to factory reset.
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2023, 12:25 PM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Since you plan on selling it, I wouldn't worry about it.
nice advice NOT
Old 02-07-2023, 12:25 PM   #7
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
^

Perhaps true.

However, when/if she decides to post on the Flea Market Forum, it would be wise to bring up this issue.
Old 02-07-2023, 12:30 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Quote:
I have rebooted couple times Is this what you mean?

OK Found the Sign Out Sing in went thru that. Zero ebooks... ALL my ebooks are DeDRM and Sideloaded

Last edited by Barbara1955; 02-07-2023 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:43 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I have rebooted couple times Is this what you mean?

OK Found the Sign Out Sing in went thru that. Zero ebooks... ALL my ebooks are DeDRM and Sideloaded
Once you signed back in, your sideloaded books should have been found and re-imported. The only exception is if you stored them in a Kobo reserved directory which gets wiped (the kepub directory in the .kobo directory as an example.
Old 02-08-2023, 10:22 AM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

All that they didn't come back ugh

Is there a way to stop them from disappearing in the 1st place? Adding them back is a pain! I have 3 formats per eBook so it's like 3x the total to look thru to put the correct format back on the device. Right now, I up to Cs at 500 eBook's
Old 02-08-2023, 12:26 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Where are you placing the books on your Clara HD? In a separate directory in the root of the exposed partition? Inside on of the Kobo created directories? I have my sideloaded books stored in a directory called with great originality, eLibrary in the root of the exposed partition and have never lost one when doing a sign out/sign in.

As for placing the correct format back on the device? I store epub format only in my library and create kepub or azw3/KF8 format on the fly as/when needed.

If you have the configuration in the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver set up correctly, you should not be needing to choose formats. For me, I have the KoboTouch driver set to send epub, the KoboTouchExtended to send kepub and the KindleTouch driver set to send azw3 as the primary format with the latter two doing conversion from epub.
Old 02-08-2023, 12:34 PM   #12
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Where are you placing the books on your Clara HD? In a separate directory in the root of the exposed partition? Inside on of the Kobo created directories? I have my sideloaded books stored in a directory called with great originality, eLibrary in the root of the exposed partition and have never lost one when doing a sign out/sign in.
Could be this. Sideloaded books in one of the directories updated by Kobo will certainly be wiped out when that directory is updated.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 03:54 AM   #13
Cootey
Absentminded Reader
Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cootey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Clara HD, Elipsa; Kindle Paperwhite 3 & 4; iOS eReader apps
Quote:

As for placing the correct format back on the device? I store epub format only in my library and create kepub or azw3/KF8 format on the fly as/when needed.

If you have the configuration in the KoboTouch or KoboTouchExtended driver set up correctly, you should not be needing to choose formats. For me, I have the KoboTouch driver set to send epub, the KoboTouchExtended to send kepub and the KindleTouch driver set to send azw3 as the primary format with the latter two doing conversion from epub.

These are great suggestions. I haven't thought to put all of my sideloaded books into their own folder to survive the logout process. I don't know why I never tried that before. Didn't Kobo used to wipe everything?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Cootey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 10:39 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

I have a custom column that I use to decide if I want ePub or KePub. In the KoboTouchExtended driver, I have code to send ePub or KePub based on that column. It means only having to use one driver and I can choose what I want easily.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 08:41 PM   #15
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

I have no clue what you are talking about. I could not petition the 32 gig to begin with! Had someone in Canada do that for me No way I going to mess it up!

Last edited by Barbara1955; 02-09-2023 at 08:45 PM.