Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2022, 01:33 PM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
kobo Elipsa for reading?

For those who own an Elipsa and use it primarily for reading novels, how do you like it? What are you getting for battery life?

This would be a gift for my mother. She currently reads on a Forma with a large font size. The battery is showing it's age, and needs to be charged daily.

Weight is less of a concern as she will ge resting it on something.

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 01:42 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
One acquaintance of mine is using an Elipsa for daily reading. She suffer sfrom eyesight issues so the Elipsa lets her have a decent amount of text on the screen. She does use a custom holder for the Elipsa which one of their sons made for them so rarely holds it by hand. Battery life hasn't been mentioned to me so not sure what it is like for the use case.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2022, 02:17 PM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Needs to use the cover to prop it on the table to read novels. I only use it to proof PDFs. I find the Sage far better for novels and do use about x2 the font size of other people I know with Kobo & Kindle ereaders.

I do agree that the 10.3″ 227 eink readers such as the Elipsa are superior to a Large Print format hardback as it's about the same size, but much lighter. This use case doesn't need the 300 dpi of the Scribe, but the 150 dpi 9.7″ Kindle DXG is rubbish compared to the Elipsa (I have that too).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2022, 02:27 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The Kindle DXG is as bad as the first iPad.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 12:12 PM   #5
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I use mine solely for PDF/CBZ use-cases, and far prefer the Sage for novels, FWIW.

The main strike against it is the weight, so if that's a non-issue, good for you .
The other possibly not inconsequential one is the lack of warm LEDs: it's... less of an issue for comics, but I would possibly be annoyed at the lack if I were reading novels on it, as I tend to prefer a warmer frontlight than the Elipsa's fairly harsh blue.

I concur that battery life is mostly not an issue on it, mostly thanks to its gigantic double-cells . (As long as you don't use the pen, pen drawing murder batteries).

If she's happy with the form-factor of the Forma, I would possibly not rock the boat and go with a Sage instead? But if you feel like the extra screen size would help, sure, why not.

(Keep in mind the Elipsa screen is *lower* density than the Forma/Sage, which is a strike against it for novel reading in my book, but is admittedly a fairly moot point at large font sizes).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 11-12-2022 at 12:15 PM.
NiLuJe is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2022, 02:12 PM   #6
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I use mine for reading epub novels and love it. The cover that comes with it makes it heavy so if you get it for your mother you should suggest she remove it from the cover case. I'm not sure about the battery life; certainly more than a day or two but I don't keep an eye on it and plug it in when I notice it's below 50%. I have auto sleep set at 5 minutes and wifi is turned off since I sideload everything with calibre.
hobnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 05:42 PM   #7
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
I use my Elipsa exclusively for reading (both fiction and nonfiction) and I love it. I recently replaced the case that came with it with one that opens horizontally like a book (rather than vertically), and that has made it my favorite ereader. I can't give you specifics on battery life because I don't keep track of how long I read versus how quickly the battery drops, but I read anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour or two every day and usually charge it once a week. I was considering going back to a smaller reader before I replaced the original cover, but now I would not go back. I do wish it was waterproof, but that's my only (very minor) complaint.

Edited to add: I keep wi-fi turned off. I'm not sure how much it would affect battery life if turned on.

Last edited by icallaci; 11-12-2022 at 05:46 PM.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2022, 11:39 PM   #8
hobnail
Running with scissors
hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hobnail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallaci View Post
I recently replaced the case that came with it with one that opens horizontally like a book (rather than vertically), and that has made it my favorite ereader.
Can you provide a link to the case you bought? Does it put the Kobo to sleep when the cover is closed?

Last edited by hobnail; 11-12-2022 at 11:44 PM.
Old 11-13-2022, 11:57 AM   #9
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobnail View Post
Can you provide a link to the case you bought? Does it put the Kobo to sleep when the cover is closed?
https://www.amazon.com/kwmobile-Case...s%2C149&sr=8-9

It does put the reader to sleep when the cover is closed. I chose this one because it does not fold or flip or bend to transform the case into a stand. If you want a case that turns into a stand for reading, this one won't do that. I have a separate stand that I use when I want a stand, but I haven't used it in ages. Here's a link to the separate stand:

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-...%2C165&sr=8-29
Old 11-13-2022, 02:25 PM   #10
hobnail
Running with scissors

Thanks, I'll give that a try.
Old 11-13-2022, 02:38 PM   #11
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Thank you for all the input.

I really like the Kobo software, but the lack of Comfortlight Pro and lower resolution have me seriously considering the Amazon Scribe.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2022, 11:35 PM   #12
icallaci
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Thank you for all the input.

I really like the Kobo software, but the lack of Comfortlight Pro and lower resolution have me seriously considering the Amazon Scribe.
I thought I would notice the difference in resolution (I had been using a Kobo Forma until I switched to the Elipsa), but I really haven't. The increase in screen real estate is very noticeable and makes up for the (unperceived by me) loss of resolution. You're right about the comfort light. I would like Kobo to consider adding that to the next iteration of the Elipsa.
Old 11-14-2022, 12:05 AM   #13
hobnail
Running with scissors

I thought I would but I don't miss the comfort light at all. I didn't realize that it was lower resolution and haven't been bothered by the resolution at all. If I lost my Elipsa I would buy another one without hesitation.
Old 11-14-2022, 02:27 AM   #14
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
I regret the lower resolution and the lack of buttons, so I only use the Elipsa for most PDFs, books that need the real estate and those that need the bigger RAM.
Some PDFs, meant for 6" screens, look ridiculous on Elipsa.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote