Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 06-21-2022, 10:19 PM   #1
SuperDerpBro
Enthusiast
SuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with others

Device: Kindle
Adding a books modifies files

Are there any other settings to be aware of if you don't want calibre to modify anything when you add or view a book?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've had the option to store the bookmark file in the eBook turned off for a very long time. I also don't have the editor update metadata when the eBook is loaded and I don't have save to disk modify the metadata.

Never once have I complained about the defaults for these.
Where is that editor setting? I can't seem to find it

Cheers
SuperDerpBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 11:11 PM   #2
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2022-06-21 23-10-32.png
Views:	73
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	194476

bernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDerpBro View Post
Are there any other settings to be aware of if you don't want calibre to modify anything when you add or view a book?

Where is that editor setting? I can't seem to find it

Cheers
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2022, 12:47 AM   #3
SuperDerpBro
Enthusiast
SuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with othersSuperDerpBro plays well with others

Thanks

Still seems to be modifying when adding a book.
Old 06-22-2022, 01:21 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Thanks

Still seems to be modifying when adding a book.
I'm guessing you're referring to the file system Modified timestamp not being preserved when a format file is added. I suspect that's due to the vagaries of dealing with multiple file systems on different operating systems. If you compare the file checksums of the original file and the one in the library I think you'll find they're the same.

The GetFileName plugin can be configured to keep a record of the original modified date in a custom column, see ==>> Index of plugins

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 01:38 AM   #5
SuperDerpBro
Enthusiast

Comparing the sha1 checksum is how I'm able to tell it isn't the same
Advert
Old 06-22-2022, 02:07 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you have the deDRM plugin installed?

BR
Old 06-22-2022, 02:15 AM   #7
SuperDerpBro
Enthusiast

I do. These are not DRMed files though.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:16 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Uninstall it and the sha1 sums will be identical.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 02:21 AM   #9
SuperDerpBro
Enthusiast

Interesting. I'll try it tomorrow.

Guess I'll run a separate portable install for DRM needs. Is this what the cool kids do these days? hehe
Old 06-22-2022, 07:10 AM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Interesting. I'll try it tomorrow.

Guess I'll run a separate portable install for DRM needs. Is this what the cool kids do these days? hehe
This arch bastard oldie deletes the downloaded file once the added book is moved to its destination library and that library has been backed up.
Old 06-22-2022, 02:07 PM   #11
SuperDerpBro
Enthusiast

Thanks. Adding a book with no DeDRM plugin does not modify the file.

Are there any problems running multiple portable versions and an installed version?
Old 06-22-2022, 02:16 PM   #12
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
This arch bastard oldie deletes the downloaded file once the added book is moved to its destination library and that library has been backed up.
This one doesn't care in the least whether Calibre modifies the file or not. I edit the dang things anyway, so it's a moot point for me.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:05 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If it's a Kindle eBook, DeDRM will remove the watermark even if it's DRM free. I'm not sure what else is done to DRM free. I would doubt ePub would be changed.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2022, 04:15 PM   #14
SuperDerpBro
Enthusiast

I've no idea what it was doing but it was modifying epubs with no drm *shrug*

Are there any problems running multiple portable versions and an installed version?
Old 06-22-2022, 05:22 PM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I've no idea what it was doing but it was modifying epubs with no drm *shrug*

As long as ONLY one runs AT A TIME on a Library, you should be good.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote