Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-06-2021, 12:01 PM   #1
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Help! Can't open Kindle Reader for PC

My Kindle reading app for PC on my desktop suddenly won't open for some reason.

I click on the Kindle link in my start menu and it starts initializing with a spinning donut for a few seconds, then stops.

I tried rebooting my computer a few times (thinking Kindle maybe just wasn't loading up properly) but to no avail.

I'm on Windows 7 32-bit
Kindle reader version 4.8.1.10 (it says this version is 2018)

Appreciate any advice.
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:56 AM   #2
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
I'm unfamliar with that version number. The "Kindle for PC" Windows versions released by Amazon all have version numbers like 1.X, and not 4.X.X.X

Have you tried downloading the latest version 1.30.0 at https://www.amazon.com/kindleapps?
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-07-2021, 06:27 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Kindle 4.8.1.10 is a version for Android.

It could be that because this is from 2018 that it's time to update to the latest version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #4
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookchin View Post
I'm on Windows 7 32-bit
Kindle reader version 4.8.1.10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Kindle 4.8.1.10 is a version for Android
"Houston, we have a problem."

Are you using Android Studio or some other emulator to run Android software on Windows?
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 06:53 AM   #5
IsabellaMeekins1
IsabellaMeekins1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Check on Google Kindle Reader and you will find a website where you can log in and read the books you have purchased. It's more convenient and better than the app in my experience. No emulator or other things needed that often don't work as I want, just a reliable web browser
IsabellaMeekins1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2021, 07:45 AM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsabellaMeekins1 View Post
... Kindle Reader and you will find a website where you can log in and read the books you have purchased. It's more convenient and better than the app in my experience. No emulator or other things needed that often don't work as I want, just a reliable web browser
1) Google isn't the only search engine.
2) Presumably it's Amazon's Cloud reader. Tells Amazon what you are reading and how much of it. Bad idea. No search needed, there is a link in Manage my Devices and Content, AKA Kindle Cloud Library in your Amazon account. Which you need to buy Amazon Kindle ebooks!
3) just a reliable web browser: An oxymoron. There is no such thing and also it needs an always on Internet connection.
4) Not really portable. Totally inferior to an eInk Kindle.
5) What do you use the web browser on? An LCD screen on a phone, tablet or laptop?
6) No emulator needed to read Amazon ebooks. Either use the app on a phone or tablet, or get an eink Kindle.
7) If you have an eink Kindle and Download to PC for USB transfer you have a backup. Also can read with no internet. Very little extra work you can then read the ebook in any ereader app or any eink ereader.

Using a web browser is crazy way to read. I even copy & paste big web articles in LO Writer, quickly fix styles and images and make an ebook to read off-line and in comfort.

Last edited by Quoth; 02-08-2021 at 07:48 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:11 PM   #7
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post

Using a web browser is crazy way to read. I even copy & paste big web articles in LO Writer, quickly fix styles and images and make an ebook to read off-line and in comfort.
I read all articles in a web browser, no matter how long. Pretty comfortably. Not books, though. It all depends on one's personal preferences. As articles are a quick read compared to books, generally under an hour, I would never waste time on styling and formatting them.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 11:33 AM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I'd only bother for BIG articles.

I maybe should have bolded big.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 01:09 AM   #9
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salty-horse View Post
I'm unfamliar with that version number. The "Kindle for PC" Windows versions released by Amazon all have version numbers like 1.X, and not 4.X.X.X

Have you tried downloading the latest version 1.30.0 at https://www.amazon.com/kindleapps?
I was going by something I saw when I did a Start Menu search for 'Kindle'.

I just went to my programs now to check it that way, and I see that the version is: 1.30.059056 I also noticed in the programs that it says it was installed on Feb 6, 2021. But I never installed it.

Does Kindle do automatic updates?

If it was recently updated why can't I open it?

Last edited by Bookchin; 02-12-2021 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:41 PM   #10
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Does Kindle do automatic updates?
Yes. In fact it will update even if you select the option for it to not do so.

Quote:
If it was recently updated why can't I open it?
Possibly something went wrong with the update process. I suggest you uninstall it, reboot, and then reinstall the version you want. Also see the section "Preventing undesired app updates" in this post.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:36 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Yes. In fact it will update even if you select the option for it to not do so.

Possibly something went wrong with the update process. I suggest you uninstall it, reboot, and then reinstall the version you want. Also see the section "Preventing undesired app updates" in this post.
When my Kindle 1.17.x was force updated, I didn't uninstall and reinstall. I just installed on top of and it worked.
Old 02-12-2021, 05:02 PM   #12
Bookchin
Connoisseur

Well, I tried uninstalling and re-installing it three times. Still not opening.

I opened a chat with Amazon and they set up a support ticket. I will let you know if the situation gets resolved or not within 48 hours.

In the meantime they said I could use the cloud.
Old 02-27-2021, 01:05 PM   #13
Shykat
Groupie
Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shykat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, iPad Mini, my PC and Galaxy Tab A :)
I also have found that my Kindle for PC will not open. Unfortunately I don't remember what version I was using but I do remember turning the Auto Update off. Because of that, I'm assuming there was an attempt at forcing an update which now has caused the program to not even open.

I did look at the files and saw that it was installed 1/21/17 if that helps anyone help me figure out if I was actually using version 1.17.

Where can I find Kindle 1.17 to attempt to install over what is currently there or to delete my current version and reinstall the program..... and then where do I find the instructions on turning OFF auto update again?

Thank you!
Shykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:40 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post
I also have found that my Kindle for PC will not open. Unfortunately I don't remember what version I was using but I do remember turning the Auto Update off. Because of that, I'm assuming there was an attempt at forcing an update which now has caused the program to not even open.

I did look at the files and saw that it was installed 1/21/17 if that helps anyone help me figure out if I was actually using version 1.17.

Where can I find Kindle 1.17 to attempt to install over what is currently there or to delete my current version and reinstall the program..... and then where do I find the instructions on turning OFF auto update again?

Thank you!
Read the following thread. Yes it is a long thread, but the answer of where to get KIndoeForPC 1.17 is in there.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371
Old 03-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #15
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shykat View Post

Thank you!
If you want to know what version you are runniing and you using running windows:

1) Find the exe
2) right click on it and pick properties
3) go to the details tab
John F is offline   Reply With Quote