Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-06-2020, 09:00 AM   #1
pavel-s
Enthusiast
pavel-s began at the beginning.

Device: PW3/4
Question Restore Broken USB Port in Kindle Paperwhite 4?

Hi,

I was tinkering with my jailbroken Kindle Paperwhite 4 quite a long time ago over ssh. The device was connected via a USB cable with a magnetic head. Occasionally, it fell on the floor and stopped detecting by the PC. Luckily, it hadn't lost the charging ability, and the USBNetwork hack was configured with WiFi, and id_rsa.pub was written to the device. Immediately, I wrote a couple of big files to the kindle storage (/mnt/us, left around 60MB of free space) using dd util to prevent OTA updates. But the burden was too hard to use the device itself, and I left it on a shelf for a very long time.

A couple of days ago, I dug the dust from the kindle and read a book on it. Today, I decided to open KOReader and attempt to update it. There was no free space on the device. So, I cleaned around 260MB from the storage and run the OTA update. The KOReaded update was unsuccessful because, again, of not available free space. But the kindle's silent update was successfully installed in the background because I saw the "restart your device" message. I prematurely did what the message asked, the device restarted, and I lose the jailbreak. Ironically, I was also left with 260MB of free space that I can't free without USB and USBNetwork.

Is it possible to restore jailbreak without USB access? Or fix/replace the USB itself? Or at least clean the available space (most likely device reset can do the job)? Or any combinations of the above?
pavel-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@pavel-s: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...63#post3961863
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2020, 10:54 AM   #3
pavel-s
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Thanks, but the USB port on the device isn't working, and the unpacking to the USB storage isn't possible. Well, at least without soldering. I though about soldering another micro-usb temporary but it seems like my cheap SMD station isn't capable of melting the solder on the circuitry of the device during low temperature (480 ℃ max).

Last edited by pavel-s; 08-06-2020 at 11:06 AM. Reason: add details
Old 08-06-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Oops, I mistakenly thought you still had ssh access, my bad ;p.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:46 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How did the USB cable with magnetic head break the USB port on your Kindle?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2020, 01:26 AM   #6
pavel-s
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How did the USB cable with magnetic head break the USB port on your Kindle?
The kindle just fell on the floor - the cable detached from its head, the head left sitting in the port, and hit the floor (the main point of the hit went directly to the head which protrudes a bit). Visually there is no damage, but the kindle stopped detecting by any devices. Changing cables does not solve the issue.

Spoiler:

Old 08-07-2020, 02:39 AM   #7
Winkelschraube
Connoisseur
Winkelschraube began at the beginning.

Device: The (orly) amazing Kindle Oasis 3
I have such an magnetic usb plug on my smartphone. That is great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavel-s View Post
Thanks, but the USB port on the device isn't working, and the unpacking to the USB storage isn't possible. Well, at least without soldering. I though about soldering another micro-usb temporary but it seems like my cheap SMD station isn't capable of melting the solder on the circuitry of the device during low temperature (480 ℃ max).
That is strange. I opened my Kindle (PW2) two weeks ago and took a look at the device. There was nothing riveted or anything. Did you check the connections with a multimeter? A micro usb cable cut off, that multimeter on the cable and behind the USB port on the PCB?
Winkelschraube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #8
pavel-s
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winkelschraube View Post
I have such an magnetic usb plug on my smartphone. That is great.

That is strange. I opened my Kindle (PW2) two weeks ago and took a look at the device. There was nothing riveted or anything. Did you check the connections with a multimeter? A micro usb cable cut off, that multimeter on the cable and behind the USB port on the PCB?
Yeah, and it works perfectly with micro-USB as well as with USB-C.

No, I haven't checked it with a multimeter because I don't have a spare micro-USB cable to cut (yet). But sure it should be the next first step. Thanks.

I'm also wondering which temperature needed for a soldering iron on PW4.
Old 08-22-2020, 02:50 PM   #9
AbdulHamdy
AbdulHamdy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW4 10th Gen 8GB
Not much.. Scraping the coating is the issue here.. Once your remove the waterproofing coating... Everything is easy
AbdulHamdy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hardware repairs, jailbreak kindle pw