Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 03-10-2020, 08:36 AM   #1
halloleo
Groupie
halloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: iPad
Best of 3 options to Serve calibre libray in the cloud and edit library locally

I'm sold on calibre. My library is small, but growing. I like the organisational features and that I can access the content remotely (OPDS/HTML).

So now I'd like to setup a sustainable system: I want to edit the calibre library locally on my Mac and serve the library via OPDS in the cloud so that I can access it even when I switch my Mac off. The Cloud instance will probably live on a Linode CentOS VM, the local instance on a 2015 MacBook Pro.

What is a good setup for this? I saw quite a few forum threads touching on this, but I figure there are 3 options:

1. Have on the local Mac a master library which I edit with a local calibre for Mac and which is synced to a library in the the cloud instance where a calibre-server serves it to the internet. (Question here: How to trigger the sync? On change or periodically? )

2. Have one library in the cloud instance which is edited as remote library from my Mac and which is served at the same time via a calibre-server on the cloud instance. ( Question here: How do remote libraries work? - The term occurs in the manual, but I didn't find much explanation about it. )

3. Have one library in the cloud instance and a calibre for Linux on the cloud instance too which shows its UI via X11 on my Mac and serves the library to the Internet. ( Question here: How good is a remote GUI on an (outdated) Xquartz on my Mac?)
halloleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:05 AM   #2
mdclanahan
Connoisseur
mdclanahan began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPad 6th Gen
I just set up the Calibre server on a Raspberry Pi, personally. My implementation is a bit different (my secondary library isn't in the cloud), and it sounds like you have more Linux experience than I do, so this shouldn't be a difficult project for you.

That said, #1 sounds the most like my setup. I have my master libraries on my Mac Mini, from which I do all my library maintenance. As for syncing, I am periodically using FreeFileSync to one-way mirror my Mac libraries to an external drive, which I then disconnect from the Mac and connect to the RPi. This software scans the source directory, scans the destination directory, and only copies anything that is new/changed. I plan to only take the server offline long enough to do maybe a monthly sync.

This implementation is much more simple that what you're planning, but perhaps FreeFileSync could be of some use to you.
mdclanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2020, 10:16 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i was about to recommend free file sync, i see that's already done. i run sync manually ( 1 way mirror) to cloud copy of my local calibre library in dropbox. I never looked into automating that. It updates changes very quickly
MOON READER + gives multiple options: it can directly access dropbox folders if configured or via an app like calibrebox. I have that on android tablets
if your local library mac with ODPS is alive, moon reader can access that directly also, if configured for the ODPS server location
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 03:43 AM   #4
halloleo
Groupie
halloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterhalloleo can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Thanks for the details about option 1 (Syncing two libraries).

I'm still curious about option 2 (Remote library), but I better ask taht in the Library forum.
Old 03-11-2020, 10:43 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by halloleo View Post
Thanks for the details about option 1 (Syncing two libraries).

I'm still curious about option 2 (Remote library), but I better ask taht in the Library forum.
2. Doesn't really work for main Calibre GUI and is a recipe for library corruption if you try it via mounted FTP folder or something. If there's a reference in the manual to remote library, that likely means via Calibre content server.

Edit:
Yep, found the reference.
Code:
 --library-path, --with-library
Path to the calibre library. Default is to use the path stored in the settings. You can also connect to a calibre Content server to perform actions on remote libraries. To do so use a URL of the form: http://hostname:port/#library_id for example, http://localhost:8080/#mylibrary.

Last edited by ilovejedd; 03-11-2020 at 10:52 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2020, 07:30 PM   #6
halloleo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
2. Doesn't really work for main Calibre GUI..
Indeed. See Kovid's reply in the Library Managment sub-forum: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3962655

Tags
calibre library, calibre server, synchronization