Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 05:45 AM   #1
TicToc
TicToc began at the beginning.

Device: kobo Aura H20 Edition 2
Problem visualizing equations

Hi all.

I am asking for help about visualization of mathematical stuff.
Am the owner of a Kobo Aura H20 Edition 2. Frequently, I read ebooks that contain a lot of mathematics, usually equations, some times diagrams.
Kobo visualizes equations as images but all the times (that is, it is not a problem encountered on a specific book) the image embedded in the text is too small, unreadable. Even tapping on the image for zooming it does not solve: from the one hand, quite often the reader confuses the tapping with the command of shifting pages. For example I cannot tap on images that are close to one side of the page. Furthermore, I do not wish to open the image in a separate window: I wish to have a visual of the equation AND of the text surrounding it.
In summary, I am in search of some tip for making automatically equations to look larger inside the ebook.

Thanks for any help

Fabio
TicToc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 01:20 PM   #2
ps67
Guru
ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ps67 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Elipsa, Pocketbook Color PB633, Inkpad Color
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know if there is a way. If those who created the files used mathml instead of images the equations would look much better (I Just made the experiment, epub3 with mathml converted in kepub). I also noticed the problem with a sample book a lot time ago downloaded for curiosity, but luckily I don't need to read equations.

I have tried to visualize a file with a single equation rendered as an image that I created myself (for which the test is not very significant) with Koreader and Plato and the image, even if it is grainy is bigger. It sucks but it reads. You could try one of them.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=314220

I hope that someone else will have a better solution for You.

edit: Of course Koreader or Plato will not be able to open the books You bought from Kobo because of DRM issues but there is Apprentice Half for that. In this forum it is not allowed to say more.

Last edited by ps67; 09-13-2019 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Of course... - URL for Koreader and Plato
ps67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2019, 03:12 AM   #3
TicToc

Hi.
Thanks for the informations.
I can add another piece: by downloading the Kobo app on tablets and smartphones, the equations display perfectly. It is ironic that the only place where I cannot read ebooks is precisely the ebook reader.
Mah....

Fabio
Old 09-13-2019, 04:01 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Are these books purchased from Kobo? If so, can you post the link to an example. I'd be interested to look at the preview and see if I can see what is going on.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:14 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The problem is a common problem. Whoever created the eBook took a shortcut. Used a scanned graphic image of low-res instead of doing it in SVG.

Here is one site that uses LaTex and you can save the output as SVG.

http://www.tlhiv.org/ltxpreview/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2019, 06:49 AM   #6
TicToc

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Are these books purchased from Kobo? If so, can you post the link to an example. I'd be interested to look at the preview and see if I can see what is going on.
Yes, there is one: "Causality" by J. Pearl
https://www.kobo.com/it/en/ebook/causality-2
Old 09-23-2019, 06:52 AM   #7
TicToc

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The problem is a common problem. Whoever created the eBook took a shortcut. Used a scanned graphic image of low-res instead of doing it in SVG.

Here is one site that uses LaTex and you can save the output as SVG.

http://www.tlhiv.org/ltxpreview/
Thanks. I understand that, unfortunately, there is not practical solution, therefore.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:30 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TicToc View Post
Thanks. I understand that, unfortunately, there is not practical solution, therefore.
Converting the equations to SVG and replacing the poor graphics with SVG is the best way. You can try MathML in the ePub and read it as a kepub, but I have no idea if that would work. Plus, it has to be an ePub 3. So if it's an ePub 2, the best solution is the first one I suggested.
Old 09-23-2019, 10:12 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, there is one: "Causality" by J. Pearl
https://www.kobo.com/it/en/ebook/causality-2
Unfortunately, there isn't a preview for that, so I can't try it.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:22 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
There is a practical solution. Create the math equations as SVG and you'll get readable equations. Kobo does support SVG.
Old 09-27-2019, 10:35 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is a practical solution. Create the math equations as SVG and you'll get readable equations. Kobo does support SVG.
Only if you are creating the book yourself. This is in a purchased book. What you are suggesting is that the OP goes through that book and reimplement the equations as SVG. That isn't practical.
Old 09-27-2019, 03:22 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Only if you are creating the book yourself. This is in a purchased book. What you are suggesting is that the OP goes through that book and reimplement the equations as SVG. That isn't practical.
There are two choices, practical or readable.

Tags
aqua, equations, images