Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 09-07-2019, 08:45 AM   #1
MrJamesEMcBride
MrJamesEMcBride began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Can I stop Calibre while it is reading my Kindle Fire?

Hello,
When I connect my Kindle Fire, Calibre starts to read it and will not stop, even after 9+ hours. I know from experience that this is because I need to configure that device so that Calibre is not reading a lot of extra folders on it and just read the Books folder.

Is there a way for me to stop the reading of my device so that I can configure it properly? It needs to be attached to configure it, but it will not quit reading so that I can configure it properly.

Thanks in advance for the help,

--James
MrJamesEMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: lLenovo Yoya tab plus , fire HD10 HDX8.9,
er - disconnect the cable.

or close calibre with task manager

or both

then read up on how to configure calibre to not read everything, before starting over

you must have a lot of stuff on it, or there is some other problem, as I am pretty i have connected fire to calibre without such lengthy 1st time run delays

even if its 32gb and full, it should not take 9 hours to scan that.

do you have a large capacity SD card also installed , or some AV either on PC or on tablet that is interfering and slowing everything down ?
stumped is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #3
MrJamesEMcBride

Yeah, I have a 128 GB SD card installed that has a lot of apps and comic book (CBR/CBZ) files. I guess you could call it a little excessive :O
Old 09-07-2019, 10:57 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

maybe you can take that SD card out for the initial scan, if calibre does not need to know about that stuff. Then you can configure the device for what calibre is to ignore.

then put it back in for 2nd connect and hope calibre does not decide to scan it anyway
Old 09-07-2019, 10:12 PM   #5
MrJamesEMcBride

As it it, I am not going to fight it. I plugged it back in and will just wait it out so that I can configure my device after it is finished reading it. The last time I did this, I just had to tell it to only look at the BOOKS folder (and to set all uploads to go to the BOOKS folder)

This is just another pain of having to reformat my computer this past weekend

BTW...I tried your advice about removing the card. It is set up such that it is included as part of the internal memory, and the tablet does not want to operate without it.
Advert
Old 09-08-2019, 01:53 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJamesEMcBride View Post
As it it, I am not going to fight it. I plugged it back in and will just wait it out so that I can configure my device after it is finished reading it. The last time I did this, I just had to tell it to only look at the BOOKS folder (and to set all uploads to go to the BOOKS folder)

This is just another pain of having to reformat my computer this past weekend

BTW...I tried your advice about removing the card. It is set up such that it is included as part of the internal memory, and the tablet does not want to operate without it.
i thought that fire tablets did not have that use card as adopted storage option.My Huawei tablet is set up like that but my fire HD10 has its card as removable-

anyway - if you wait it out, do let us know how many hours it takes
Old 09-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #7
MrJamesEMcBride

OK, in the end, the whole process clocked in at 28+ hours !!

OK, Stumped, now that that is over with, in your first post you suggested that I 'read up on how to configure calibre to not read everything'

As far as I know, that is done on a device by device basis. What you are suggesting is that can be done with a set of global settings, if I am reading you correctly?

Where would I read up on that.....I have been looking, but I cannot find it.

Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 09-08-2019, 06:59 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
It is done on a device per device basis (each device could have different folders. This include when you change the SD card). With the device connected and settled. It will be on the Device view pulldown menu. If you device has more than 1 device view (think sd cards). There is one for EACH VIEW
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 07:44 PM   #9
MrJamesEMcBride

Thanks 'theducks'. I thought that was the correct answer.
I am still waiting for an answer from Stumped....they seem to know something that we do not.
Old 09-09-2019, 02:24 AM   #10
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJamesEMcBride View Post
Thanks 'theducks'. I thought that was the correct answer.
I am still waiting for an answer from Stumped....they seem to know something that we do not.
all I was suggesting was search the forum for what can be done.. I don't have any secret solution - sorry.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:41 AM   #11
stumped
Wizard

just a thought
i know that with some apps and devices, you can exclude folders by placing a file called .nomedia therein

[https://fileinfo.com/extension/nomedia
What is a NOMEDIA file?
A NOMEDIA file is a file stored on an Android mobile device, or on an external storage card connected to an Android device. It marks its enclosing folder as having no multimedia data so that the folder will not be scanned and indexed by multimedia players. NOMEDIA files have no filename prefix and are simply named .nomedia.

More Information
The use of NOMEDIA files helps boost performance by excluding folders that do not need to be scanned. For example, a folder that has thousands of songs or images can be excluded. NOMEDIA files can also be used to hide ads featured in free apps when placed in the same directory of the ad. Many Android audio and video players as well as image browsers (Gallery, MP3 Player, Video Player, etc.) recognize NOMEDIA files.]

I wonder if there is any mileage in requesting a calibre enhancement to have it ignore all folders that contain some such trigger file name- and thus greatly speed up initial device scans ?

unfortunately - one useful place to put a .nomedia file is in a calibre library to stop book covers from cluttering photo galleries !
so maybe calibre would need its own trigger - e.g. a .nocalibre file ?

Last edited by stumped; 09-09-2019 at 05:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2019, 05:44 AM   #12
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What I really need to do is just scan the folders on first connect not the rest of the filesystem and give the user an opportunity to pick folders to scan fully then.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 05:51 AM   #13
MrJamesEMcBride

Kovid,
That would be INCREDIBLE!! If you can do that, I would (and most people would!) appreciate it very much.

I DID find another setting under Miscellaneous that might have helped a lot. It is the setting that says 'Abort jobs that take more than x minutes'. Does that include 'on device' jobs as well? That would have saved me A LOT of time (about 27 hours and 50 minutes or so )

Thanks all!
--Jim
Old 09-09-2019, 05:53 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can just pull the plug on it. MTP devices like this one are extremely slow, but the upside is that it is safe to just yank the cable on them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 06:06 AM   #15
MrJamesEMcBride

Also, Stumped, your idea is interesting as well.

In the end, if Kovid is willing to make an enhancement to Calibre like he suggested, that would be the BEST solution. I can imagine probably a new button in the GUI that would kick of the reading of the device after the folders are initially scanned and the user has had a chance to change the 'by device' settings.