Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 04-10-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Advice on Edit Book function

I always run any added book through the “Edit Book” function to check for problems, with a goal of achieving “No problems found”.

A lot of issues involve “CSS Property: Unknown Property” warnings such as “-webkit-text-fill-color” , “-epub-hyphens”, etc. I generally remove all these references.

Am I wasting my time? Would leaving these cause potential errors? Inversely, would there be benefit leaving them in for possible future epub implementation, or other reasons?

Thanks for any insights.
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
IMHO
No!
There is garbage out there. If only the people releasing this would check first.
I also take the time to clean unused classes from the CSS. (If this is a 'house' stylesheet, there is nothing to lose, except byte count, if doing a cleaning before release. If the later find they need a 'deleted' class, just replace the CSS with a fresh copy , then clean that.) BPH stylesheets can lose over a 1000 lines, cleaning the unused ones.

Do be aware of those warnings, and get used to the regulars like you mentioned. There will be others that crop up , that just might need attention because your device does have issues with that one.
OTOH these checks wont report valid code, that your device screws up on
eg a HR of 50% width is supposed to center, but does not on older RMSDK. You need to work around this (margin_left: 25%)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2019, 09:49 PM   #3
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Thank you for your insights, but I'm a little confused by your "NO!" I'm hoping that's to the question "Am I wasting my time?"

If so, I will continue to strive to achieve a clean response.

I never used to use this function, but probably one or two out of 10 books would cause me issue (lockups, failure to even load, etc.) No problems since doing the checks.
Old 04-10-2019, 11:18 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
No means I do not think it is a waste of effort.
It takes about a minute to Load and run the Bug check. If no issues: Exit. (I have a T/F (T/F are Tri-state) column I mark if it passes or Fails, and I did not have time to fix)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:23 AM   #5
VelvetElvis
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
No means I do not think it is a waste of effort.
It takes about a minute to Load and run the Bug check. If no issues: Exit. (I have a T/F (T/F are Tri-state) column I mark if it passes or Fails, and I did not have time to fix)
Thank you. Will continue to spit shine everything.
Advert