Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2019, 11:13 PM   #1
meRobs
meRobs began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo Touch; Glo HD, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Cool Access Amazon store for Kobo Forma

I prefer the UI and features of Kobo rather than the Kindle. It seems more sensible/logical to me.
So, I am about to buy the Forma.

Unfortunately, the Kobo Store seems poor is some areas. For example, only 13 books by Andrew Wareham were listed at Kobo, whereas, there are 55 at Amazon, and of these the same 13 are about 40% cheaper. It is a similar story for books by Philip K Allan and by David Donachie. Of course, books by many authors would be equally available and similarly priced.

It would be nice if I could buy some books from Amazon, with most coming from Kobo. Once bought, my intention would be to download Kindle non-KFX books to the PC and to manage all books in Calibre.

My question is: is there a convenient way of buying suitable books for Forma from the Amazon store without having to buy a used Kindle device, maybe even broken, just to satisify the need to have a registered Kindle device on the account ??

A side issue is whether I really need a sleep cover. The reviews of the Forma suggest that it is nice and light to hold in one hand without a cover. A cover may be counter-productive and I have no need to throw the Forma into a travel back or drop it onto a hard surface.

Thanks

Last edited by meRobs; 01-06-2019 at 11:17 PM.
meRobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 11:19 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Apprentice Alf is the way to go. Buy where you want ...convert with Calibre.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2019, 11:36 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by meRobs View Post
It would be nice if I could buy some books from Amazon, with most coming from Kobo. Once bought, my intention would be to download Kindle non-KFX books to the PC and to manage all books in Calibre.

My question is: is there a convenient way of buying suitable books for Forma from the Amazon store without having to buy a used Kindle device, maybe even broken, just to satisify the need to have a registered Kindle device on the account ??
Have a look at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=283371. There are several ways to handle this mentioned.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:02 AM   #4
meRobs

Thanks for your suggestions. However, I am aware of how to avoid the KFX format.
I had intended to use K4PC v. 1.17 and or to rename the “renderer-test.exe” file.

The problem is how to actually buy from the Kindle/Amazon store without having a registered Kindle device?

Is there a way around this, apart from buying an old Kindle?
If I must buy an old Kindle, how old or disfunctional can it be?

Thanks
Old 01-07-2019, 02:48 AM   #5
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, HDX 8.9, AuraHD, NookHD+, Kindle 2,3,T, Opus, iPhone 6, +
Quote:
The problem is how to actually buy from the Kindle/Amazon store without having a registered Kindle device?
If you have Kindle for PC installed and registered then you have a registered Kindle "device". You don't need to own actual Amazon hardware.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2019, 02:50 AM   #6
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung tab s , fire HDX 8.9, fire hd 8
you don't need a registered kindle device to buy from amazon!

just go to amazon dot your country option and shop

they will happily sell kindle books to accounts which only have kindle for PC , and probably not even that, as there is also an option to buy and place in cloud.

are you confusing the amazon web site options with the amazon for android shopping app options ?
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:48 AM   #7
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
If you're not in a hurry to buy the ebooks all at once, for the books carried by both Amazon and Kobo which are more expensive at Kobo, there's always the Kobo price guarantee, where they will match the competitor's price less 10 percent in store credit. Buy one, get the credit, buy another one, etc., and you'll pay less at Kobo.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:01 AM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Buy the ebooks> Download to the app on your PC. Go to Calibre app & transfer from Kindle app to caliber [Click on the Green Add a Book upper left> documents > Kindle Content > open ... that puts them into Calibre.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:07 AM   #9
meRobs

It still seems as if I need a physical device (but, no - see below).
For example, if I open Kindle 4 PC > Kindle Store and select an eBook, I can elect to "Deliver to" the Kindle for PC. However, once it is purchased and I wish to download it to my PC, I need to select the Device it is intended for!

At least, I thought so! !!!!

But because you insisted that I didn't need to do that, I tried again and discoverd that the K4PC app displays a number of Downloads. As a ressult, I checked out the PC folder "My Kindle content" to discover that it actually had arrived as an AZW and thus usable in Calibre !!!

Excellent.
Thanks again
Robin

Last edited by meRobs; 01-07-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:18 AM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
You can also just install the free Kindle app on your phone or tablet as well, and that counts as a registered device.

But I bypass using Kindle for PC entirely now. When I purchase a book I select Kindle for PC, but then download it directly under "Accounts & Lists". Select "Content and Devices" (it's under "Digital Content and Devices"). That page is your entire list of all book purchases. Click the button under Actions with the ... and select "Download & transfer via USB" and it will download the .azw3 (or .azw on a few titles, I've run into that with short story compilations) version directly to your computer, letting you select the directory you want to download to. Then you can remove DRM and convert it to whatever format you want in Calibre.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:18 AM   #11
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
But I bypass using Kindle for PC entirely now. When I purchase a book I select Kindle for PC, but then download it directly under "Accounts & Lists". Select "Content and Devices" (it's under "Digital Content and Devices"). That page is your entire list of all book purchases. Click the button under Actions with the ... and select "Download & transfer via USB" and it will download the .azw3 (or .azw on a few titles, I've run into that with short story compilations) version directly to your computer, letting you select the directory you want to download to. Then you can remove DRM and convert it to whatever format you want in Calibre.
Ah, but for that to work, you *do* need a physical Kindle connected to your account. If you only have Kindle4<anything> active, you don't have the 'Download & transfer via USB' option.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #12
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Ah, but for that to work, you *do* need a physical Kindle connected to your account. If you only have Kindle4<anything> active, you don't have the 'Download & transfer via USB' option.
Ah, that's good to know, I never realized that. I do have a PW2 that I bought super cheap as refurbished one year, more to try to it out, and I hated it compared to Kobo readers. So I only use it once a month to download a freebie from the Kindle Owner's Library. And I never use it to send books to, I still only select to send to Kindle for PC.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #13
RobertJSawyer
Evangelist
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Aura HD, Aura, Mini; Kindle PaperWhite
I see you're in Australia. @meRobs. Kobo offers price-matching with Kindle and other vendors; I use it frequently: https://www.kobo.com/au/en/p/pricematch-about
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #14
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Deep in the heart of Texas (whether I like it or not)
Device: Kobo Aura, Nook ST w/Glowlight, Nook Glowlight Plus, Nook Glowlight 3
Quote:
Thanks for your suggestions. However, I am aware of how to avoid the KFX format.
I had intended to use K4PC v. 1.17
Make sure you go into options and uncheck "automatically upgrade without asking me."

Quote:
I don't have a Kindle. You don't need to shop in Kindle for PC or specify where the book is delivered to (at least I don't).

I buy my books from the website or the Android app or whatever. Then I fire up the Kindle for PC app at my leisure every couple of days and the books show in my library. From there, I right-click and download to my PC.
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 05:55 PM   #15
meRobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
If you're not in a hurry to buy the ebooks all at once, for the books carried by both Amazon and Kobo which are more expensive at Kobo, there's always the Kobo price guarantee, where they will match the competitor's price less 10 percent in store credit. Buy one, get the credit, buy another one, etc., and you'll pay less at Kobo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertJSawyer View Post
I see you're in Australia. @meRobs. Kobo offers price-matching with Kindle and other vendors; I use it frequently: https://www.kobo.com/au/en/p/pricematch-about
Thanks. I didn't realise the offer was available in Australia.
I might try that!

Last edited by meRobs; 01-07-2019 at 06:12 PM.