Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #1
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo,Aura H2O,Glo HD,Aura ONE,Clara HD,Forma;tolino epos
Firmware 4.11.11976 Released

Kobo have released firmware version 4.11.11976. This is only going out to the Forma. It is to fix some problems reported with version 4.11.11911.

The problems I know of that it is fixing are:
  • Hanging as reported here.
  • Importing sideloaded kepubs with errors causing a reboot as discussed here. I think they might have fixed some other import related problems.

The update will be rolled out Forma devices. I think it will be rolled out faster than the usual schedule.

NOTE: There is a bug with kepubs. They appear to ignore any stylesheets and use the default styles. This affects both sideloaded and purchased kepubs. It does not affect epubs.

Last edited by davidfor; 11-03-2018 at 08:12 PM.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura Edition 2, Moto G5
Firmware 4.11.11976

Workaround for kepub stylesheet issue.

Kobo Firmware 4.11.11976

Kobo firmware 4.11.11976 has been released. As of November 2, 2018, it has been released to the Kobo Forma. It has not been released to the Kobo Touch A/B, Kobo Touch C, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Touch 2.0, Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2 v2, Kobo Aura ONE, Kobo Aura ONE Limited Edition, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v1, Kobo Aura Edition 2 v2, and the Kobo Clara HD. The affiliates used to check these firmware versions were: kobo, bestbuyca, fnac, beta, rakutenbooks, and the walmartca.

Download Links

Official Links: You can also try the generic links at your own risk:
Generated by kobofirmware by Patrick G (geek1011). Source Code

Last edited by geek1011; 11-04-2018 at 04:06 PM.
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2018, 09:51 PM   #3
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I will release patches sometime this weekend.

This release should be installable on any kobo, provided that you delete the drivers folder from KoboRoot.tgz before installing.
Old 11-02-2018, 09:53 PM   #4
geek1011
Wizard

Oh, we posted at the exact same time. Now what?

Edit: I looked at the thread numbers, you were just a few seconds before me. Which post do you want to keep?

Last edited by geek1011; 11-02-2018 at 09:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 10:50 PM   #5
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, GloHD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Oh, we posted at the exact same time. Now what?

Edit: I looked at the thread numbers, you were just a few seconds before me. Which post do you want to keep?
I've merged the threads, respecting the time stamps. Hope that's ok with both of you.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2018, 11:18 PM   #6
rashkae
Guru
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
I will release patches sometime this weekend.

This release should be installable on any kobo, provided that you delete the drivers folder from KoboRoot.tgz before installing.
I tried installing the previous version, 4.11.11911 on the A1 (minus Drivers and Update folder.) it did not go well. Using full screen mode, ended up with all kinds of artifacts on the bottom edge of screen where the footer would traditionally be.

Reverting worked fine, however.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:09 AM   #7
jiminrussell
JimInRussell
jiminrussell My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!jiminrussell My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!jiminrussell My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!jiminrussell My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!jiminrussell My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!jiminrussell My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!jiminrussell My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!jiminrussell My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!jiminrussell My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!jiminrussell My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!jiminrussell My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: kobo Aura HD, H2O, Glo HD, Aura One, Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Kobo have released firmware version 4.11.11976. This is only going out to the Forma. It is to fix some problems reported with version 4.11.11911.

The problems I know of that it is fixing are:
  • Hanging as reported here.
It figures they have fixed the hanging issue after I sent my device back because of it hanging. But it is good to know that they have it fixed so I won't have the same issue with the new one once it gets here. I am still waiting on my replacement, between the Canada Post strike and Kobo putting my replacement on hold for a couple of days for reasons unknown, it is taking a long time to for the replacement to get here. I just hope the screen on my new one is as good as the one I sent back.
jiminrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:11 AM   #8
tschucha
Enthusiast
tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.tschucha knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle 3
Have they fixed that awful Swipe to unlock workaround (feature)?
tschucha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 02:51 AM   #9
MGlitch
Guru
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by tschucha View Post
Have they fixed that awful Swipe to unlock workaround (feature)?
I’ve not installed the update (waiting on patches) but I’ve heard that the swipe is still there

Of course this seems to be a update specifically for the two bugs mentioned which made using the Forma impossible. The swipe thing is annoying but ultimately just inconvenient.

I do hope that if they keep it around that they at least make it a little classier. The Nook swipe to unlock was a slim bar at the bottom of the screen
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 05:26 AM   #10
k9reeder
Groupie
k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.k9reeder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Galaxy Tab S2, PW3(7th) Kobo H2O (1st), Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
I’ve not installed the update (waiting on patches) but I’ve heard that the swipe is still there
I've installed it, it's still there. I'm going to test it a good bit over the weekend as I've been having a few problems before this update.
k9reeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #11
geek1011
Wizard

I have released the patches for firmware 4.11.11976.

And also, this time, I recorded myself updating the patches, if anyone is interested in how it works. Send me a PM if you are interested.

Last edited by geek1011; 11-03-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 11-03-2018, 02:31 PM   #12
mathil
Addict
mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.mathil can do the Funky Gibbon.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O/Glo HD, Kindle Paperwhite 3
I tried installing it on my Glo HD, after removing the 'drivers' folder from the .tgz file and the 'upgrade' folder. It worked fine for me as well. I had one problem however, in that my sideloaded .kepubs (I tried the two I had already opened, not sure about the rest) had white lines between paragraphs. I'm not sure if it's due to 1) the .kepubs being sideloaded, or 2) the firmware not being supported, but since the proper update for the Glo HD is supposed to come out shortly I've decided to roll back and wait.

I really like the new full-screen reading mode, though. With the old/unsupported one I always get a big margin at the bottom, this one is much more even on all sides (it might be a CSS thing but I normally don't read in full-screen mode, so I don't really want to spend the time to change it).

Last edited by mathil; 11-03-2018 at 02:47 PM.
mathil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:18 PM   #13
jackie_w
Wizard
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony:PRS-350, Kobo:Aura6"/H2O/GloHD/KA1/ClaraHD/Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathil View Post
I had one problem however, in that my sideloaded .kepubs (I tried the two I had already opened, not sure about the rest) had white lines between paragraphs. I'm not sure if it's due to 1) the .kepubs being sideloaded, or 2) the firmware not being supported
It's not 2). I sideloaded/installed 4.11.11976 on my Forma (no Kobo patches installed) and had the same problem with sideloaded kepubs. It looked, to me, as if the whole internal CSS file was being ignored. This resulted in all text being left-aligned and all paragraphs having, what looked like, a 1em top & bottom margin.

ETA: I've just tried an official Kobo kepub, synced via Kobo Desktop. I have exactly the same problem, i.e. kepubs are unusable. Back to 4.11.11911 for me.

Last edited by jackie_w; 11-03-2018 at 04:31 PM. Reason: ETA
jackie_w is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:26 PM   #14
JasperBeardly
JasperBeardly began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo H2O2 & Forma
I came on to report the same thing about sideloaded kepubs on my Forma. It's adding a blank line between paragraphs and making the right margin unjustified. I like both margins justified, but at least I can change that while reading.

The blank lines are very annoying as it adds a line after every hard return. It makes lists very long and poems unreadable. And they still didn't get rid of the slide to open. Is anyone doing any QC on their updates?

I ended up doing a factory reset and going back to the previous FW.
JasperBeardly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 04:29 PM   #15
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Same here in my Aura Es 2
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote