Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-13-2017, 12:55 AM   #1
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Instructions for patching firmware 4.6.9995

See the Kobo Firmware 4.6.9995 discussion thread for information about what has changed in this firmware version.

See the Index to the Metazoa firmware patches thread for a description of what some of these patches do.

Before starting:

1. Check Settings > Device information to make sure your Kobo ereader is already running firmware version 4.6.9995 (5c036c4fb5). If not, then you need to upgrade before applying this patch.

2. Check that your battery is well charged.

Patching from Windows, Linux (i386/x86_64), or Mac (OS X 10.8-10.9, i386/x86_64):

1. Download and extract patch_kobo_4069995.zip (attached).

2. Download the Kobo firmware archive version 4.6.9995 for your device (See this thread) and copy it into the 4.6.9995_source/ subdirectory that was created in step 1. (Don't unzip the firmware archive.)

3. Read and edit all the *.patch files in the 4.6.9995_source/ subdirectory in order to: choose which patches to enable (patch_enable=`yes`) or disable (patch_enable=`no`); and to change some of the replacement values to suit your device and preferences.

4. In Windows run 4.6.9995.bat (double-click); For Linux/Mac run 4.6.9995.sh (double-click, or right-click + run, or execute 4.6.9995.sh from the command line, or drag 4.6.9995.sh into Terminal, depending on your particular OS/desktop.)

5. If there were no errors, a new 4.6.9995_target/ subdirectory will be created. Copy the KoboRoot.tgz file from this subdirectory to the .kobo directory on your ereader.

6. Safely eject and unplug the device, which will then update and restart.

To return your ereader to its original unpatched state:

1. Edit all the 4.6.9995_source/*.patch files to disable all patches (set patch_enable = `no` for every patch).

2. Repeat steps 4-6 of the procedure above.
Attached Files
File Type: zip patch_kobo_4069995.zip (510.9 KB, 604 views)

Last edited by GeoffR; 11-19-2017 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Updated attachment to fix `Custom font sizes` patch for AuraHD/H2O
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:58 AM   #2
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Notes and other patches

Notes:

None of the patches are enabled by default anymore.

The following patches are still missing since version 4.5.9587, I'll update the attachment in post #1 if/when they become available:

Missing from libnickel.so.1.0.0.patch:
* `Custom page refresh options`

In libadobe.so.patch:
* `Preserve PDF pan position across page turns` has been reported as not working (see post #32.)

These patches have changed since firmware version 4.5.9587:

`Custom Sleep/Power-off timeouts` now works like it did in 3.x.x firmware versions, i.e. all values can be changed, maximum 255 minutes.

`Freedom to advanced fonts control`: It no longer makes any difference whether the device/book language is Japanese or not.

`Custom reading footer style`: The firmware now uses larger font sizes for the footer, by default the patch changes back to the old sizes.

`Fix page breaks bug` name changed to `Disable orphans/widows avoidance`

Other patches:

`Increase headlines font`

`New home screen subtitle custom font`

`New home screen footer rename`

`New home screen removing the footer (row3) and increasing cover size`

tshering's BAD EYES adaptation

`sickel reboot timeout`

`Cyrillic Phonetic Keyboard`

`Increase delay before clock is replaced by reading progress`

If you know of any other patches for firmware 4.6.9995, post them in this thread and I'll add a link above.

Last edited by GeoffR; 12-07-2017 at 03:56 AM. Reason: Added link to `Increase delay before clock is replaced by reading progress`
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 02:11 AM   #3
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks GeoffR!, you forget to mention that the other patches from 4.6.9960, will work on this firmware.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 02:23 AM   #4
boriar
Evangelist
boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boriar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: bq Avant XL, Kobo Aura H2O, Onyx Boox M96C Plus
Thanks for a new update. You rocks!!!!
boriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:12 AM   #5
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Thank you very much, @GeoffR an also you @oren64. The patcher works fine on my H2O.
Martina Schein is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2017, 03:21 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Thank you very much!, I'll test them this evening
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:28 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Very fast. Thank you!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:55 AM   #8
vjjustin
Enthusiast
vjjustin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Did anyone had an error while trying to enable, patch_name = `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins`?

I get a message saying 'find base address is not found' or something similar and the batch execution fails.

@JSWolf, the 'popup dictionary size' css stream seems to be different and the old patch (my custom changes) does not work. But when I try to edit and patch nickel-modified (using patch.py), the patch says no changes (0 css streams modified) even though nickel-modified is updated. nickel and nickel-modif both remain the same. Any idea what I might me doing wrong?
vjjustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:08 PM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
the 'popup dictionary size' css stream seems to be different and the old patch (my custom changes) does not work. But when I try to edit and patch nickel-modified (using patch.py), the patch says no changes (0 css streams modified) even though nickel-modified is updated. nickel and nickel-modif both remain the same. Any idea what I might me doing wrong?
Regarding your personalised 'popup dictionary size' css stream ...

Just to clarify, have you applied the nickel patch using the pipcat-method directly or have you used GeoffR's makepatch utility to create an entry for the GeoffR nickel.patch file?

Depending on your reply I can give you an idea of the pitfalls to look out for.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #10
David0226
David0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watchDavid0226 is clearly one to watch

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Nook Glowlight Plus, Kobo Aura One
Applied to my Aura One this morning, so far so good.

Thanks for your excellent (and fast) work.
David0226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 01:54 PM   #11
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjjustin View Post
Did anyone had an error while trying to enable, patch_name = `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins`?

I get a message saying 'find base address is not found' or something similar and the batch execution fails.
I'm using that patch myself. Check:
Code:
#
# The following three patches are mutually incompatible,
# don't enable more than one.
#
# `ePub fixed/adjustable top/bottom margins`
# `ePub fixed top/bottom margins`
# `ePub disable built-in body padding-bottom`
#
Old 10-13-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Line spacing issue..... I used the line spacing patch
"
<Patch>
patch_name = `My 24 line spacing values`
patch_enable = `yes`
# patch_group = `Line spacing values alternatives`
#

and it does not work. I am going to try the first option and see if there is change.

Applied alternate option... no change...

REgards

Jack

Last edited by jackastor; 10-13-2017 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Additional information
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:30 PM   #13
oren64
I need a chapter break
oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oren64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
"
<Patch>
patch_enable = `yes`
#

and it does not work. I am going to try the first option and see if there is change?

REgards

Jack
It works for me, are you sure you didn't also enable the patch`My 10 line spacing values`?
Code:
# The following two patches are alternatives, don't enable more than one.
#
# `My 10 line spacing values`
# `My 24 line spacing values`
Can you post the error.
oren64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 03:34 PM   #14
GeoffR
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
"
<Patch>
patch_enable = `yes`
#

and it does not work. I am going to try the first option and see if there is change.

What do you mean by not working? Does the spacing not change when you move the slider, or does it change but can not be made any smaller than when unpatched?

If the line spacing does not change at all when you move the slider, then that is a problem with the book. You might be able to solve it by using the `Force user line spacing in KePubs` or `Force user line spacing in ePubs` patches.
Old 10-13-2017, 03:36 PM   #15
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Slider moves Text does nothing stays the same.
No error msg to post. It simply does nothing. There is no issue with the book. All options worked fine in the previous firmware patches. I will tweak it some more and see what happens...

Update: Ok I reprocessed the book, using Calibre and replaced it on the device. It does seem that that there may have been an issue with it.
Thank you for your suggestions Geoffr it does seem to have helped immensely.

Regards

Jack

Last edited by jackastor; 10-13-2017 at 04:00 PM. Reason: updated information following Geoffr suggestions.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote