Notices

Old 12-31-2015, 01:46 PM   #1
Older
Older began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Can I fix a corrupt .mobi file?

Hi,
Happy New Year.
Hope I am in the right place to get an answer.
When I try to open a .mobi book in Calibre, I get... 'calibre, version 2.46.0
ERROR: Could not open ebook: Unknown book type: '\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00'

The complete error message is:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\viewer\main.py", line 37, in run
File "threading.py", line 763, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 112, in __enter__
File "site-packages\calibre\customize\conversion.py", line 241, in __call__
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\conversion\plugins\mobi_in put.py", line 33, in convert
File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\mobi\reader\mobi6.py", line 79, in __init__
MobiError: Unknown book type: '\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00'

Is there any way I can get into the file to rectify the book type and what would I put instead of all the noughts? I tried Winrar and Winzip without success and changing from mobi to pdc didn't work either.

I'm on a PC with Windows 7.

Thanks for any help.
Older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Try opening it in hex editor or notepad. Compare the header and end to several healthy mobi files and change it to that. back up file first oviously.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2015, 05:08 PM   #3
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
File Signatures

'\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00\x00' might possibly be a File Signature.

File signatures are data used to identify or verify the content of a file. Such signatures are also known as 'magic numbers'.

Example: ico 00 00 01 00
Example: jpg FFD8
Example: pdf \x25\x50\x44\x46

It is possible that the extension is .mobi but it is not at all a real .mobi file.

What I suggest is to open the binary ebook file with a text editor (e.g. Notepad), and inspect the first line for an indication of what the file type really is.

A few examples from one of my libraries:

epub: mimetypeapplication/epub+zip PK

mobi: BOOKMOBI

pdf: pdf

cbz: PK

Based on what you find, try renaming the file extension to what it seems to really be, and opening it with an application that can open that file type.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:16 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you have Alf in place do ensure its up to date; I'm sure people have seen corruption in the past from Alf's tools.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 09:44 AM   #5
Older

Unfortunately the file won't open in Notepad and in Dreamweaver it's all gobbledygook, so I can't decipher any code at all. It seem that it's pretty well corrupted.
Any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted and thanks both for your help so far.
Advert
Old 01-01-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older View Post
Unfortunately the file won't open in Notepad and in Dreamweaver it's all gobbledygook, so I can't decipher any code at all. It seem that it's pretty well corrupted.
Any other suggestions would be gratefully accepted and thanks both for your help so far.
Mobi is a compressed format. It will look odd with a standard editor.
(And saving from an TXT editor, will probably damage it more)

The instructions called for a HEX editor. That allows Byte level edits
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:41 AM   #7
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
if you need a good simple hex editor, I like xvi32 at http://www.chmaas.handshake.de
phossler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:46 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Dumb question; where did the mobi originate?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 11:54 AM   #9
Older

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Dumb question; where did the mobi originate?
P2P download
Old 01-01-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
Older

Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
if you need a good simple hex editor, I like xvi32 at http://www.chmaas.handshake.de
Thanks. Downloaded it and unfortunately all I get when opening the file is 00 in every box. I reckon thid file is a bit of a no hoper.

Thanks all the same, thus will be useful another day.
Old 01-01-2016, 12:33 PM   #11
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Older View Post
P2P download
Well, now, that almost sounds like a pirated book.

And, you have now discovered one of the lesser reasons to avoid torrents.
(At least you didn't get a virus. Better luck next time. )
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 11:10 PM   #12
BeeTee-Ess
Addict
BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeeTee-Ess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4NT, KPW2, Voyage, iP4, iP6, iPad Mini, HP TouchPad, Kobo Mini
I think the clue is in the ERROR line - all those zeros in the book type.

The file may have a .mobi extension, but I think you will find it is not actually a .mobi file at all.
BeeTee-Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2016, 08:47 AM   #13
Older

Thanks, I'll try varios and see where it leads me.

Tags
mobi error, unknown book type