Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 01-08-2015, 05:40 PM   #1
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle; Kindle (10.1.1) for PC; Kindle Cloud Reader
Web-based Format Conversion

Hi. You probably don't recognize me; I am almost always in the "Deals, Freebies, and Resources" forum.

I hope that I'm in the correct forum for this topic. Also, I did not see a thread which really addressed this topic, although I did searches. So, I took the liberty to create one. If I've erred, please kindly let me know.

Has anyone seen the Docsrush website? The site is apparently new--the "about" webpage is "under construction" and the site seems still to need some bugs worked out.

The site claims to let people convert files without the need to download software. There is a huge number of formats that it says that it can convert from and and equally huge number of formats that it says that it can convert to. Among those are a number of ebook formats.

Forgive me if I give a format here which is not actually an ebook format, this is not my forte. The ebook formats that it says can be converted from and/or converted to are these: pdf, ePub, mobi, fb2, tcr, lrf, pdb, and rb. I may have left out a format or two (I direct your attention to the first sentence in this paragraph for the reason).

Now here's a monkey wrench in the works, only temporarily I hope. When I tried several ebook conversions, using several different "from" and "to" formats, I couldn't get them to work. I got a message that "the pdf cannot be converted," or something worded similarly to that. Or, I got a message that the "file is too big." I know that the site can convert some files, because they have a page where they show some recent conversions (but perhaps tellingly none of the examples are apparently ebook conversions). I am not very computer savvy, though, so there is a very real possibility that there is something that I didn't do that I should have done or something that I did do that I shouldn't have done.

As I said, I'm not very computer savvy, but to me this website has a lot of potential. Heretofore, the closest that I've seen to something non-software with this ability and ease of use are some web browser extensions like the well-reviewed Chrome extension EPub to Mobi. These, of course, are very limited in what they can do.

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-09-2015 at 01:50 PM.
GtrsRGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:34 PM   #2
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I always wonder how many of these online conversion sites and the various "create a QR code" sites exist for the purpose of data collection (read: theft).
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2015, 01:26 AM   #3
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I have also seen this one: http://www.online-convert.com/

I suspect they all use calibre under the hood, and not necessarily the latest version either.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer
GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GtrsRGr8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I always wonder how many of these online conversion sites and the various "create a QR code" sites exist for the purpose of data collection (read: theft).
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
I have also seen this one: http://www.online-convert.com/

I suspect they all use calibre under the hood, and not necessarily the latest version either.
Thanks for your responses.

I thought that this book conversion on the Web idea/execution might be a novel (no pun intended. ha) one, but I see now that it isn't. It's just novel to me.

After your responses, I went rummaging around on the Web and found a couple more conversion sites. The first one (supposedly) sends you the converted file via your email address. This sounds fishy. Sounds like maybe a way to harvest email addresses.

I'll try out Online-Convert also.

I don't know what any of these online conversion services could do with DRM-protected books.

Thinking about these supposed online conversion services makes an old saying keep popping up in my head, "If it sounds too good to be true . . . ."

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-09-2015 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:05 PM   #5
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
For grins, I tried both sites with a book from Project Gutenberg. I couldn't find a combination of formats for Docsrush that would even work. Online-Convert uses Calibre, as eschwartz suspected. The metadata says it's Calibre version 2.15.0, though, so it's at least up-to-date .
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2015, 04:21 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just keep in mind that nothing you submit is guaranteed privacy, and that the only thing they offer is the convenience of not having to install calibre yourself -- no doubt useful for those who will only ever convert one thing. (But keeping in mind that you can hardly edit the conversion settings...)

Mostly I just consider them a total waste of time.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:23 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
For grins, I tried both sites with a book from Project Gutenberg. I couldn't find a combination of formats for Docsrush that would even work. Online-Convert uses Calibre, as eschwartz suspected. The metadata says it's Calibre version 2.15.0, though, so it's at least up-to-date .
Very interesting... I know I tried it a long time ago, also for grins, and I got an outdated calibre version showing in the metadata.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:54 PM   #8
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difflugia View Post
Difflugia! So this is one place that you hang out when you're not in the Deals, Freebies, and Resources forum!

Interesting about the results of your DocsRush experiment . . . . Maybe it's just a beta program (or gamma or even delta. ha) and we can expect better results in the future.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:11 PM   #9
GtrsRGr8
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Just keep in mind that nothing you submit is guaranteed privacy, and that the only thing they offer is the convenience of not having to install calibre yourself -- no doubt useful for those who will only ever convert one thing. (But keeping in mind that you can hardly edit the conversion settings...)

Mostly I just consider them a total waste of time.
I don't think that there would be anything that I'd want to convert that I would feel that I needed to be kept private. If I did, I could just not use one of the online services.

Yeah, convenience. That's what I was thinking about. Maybe it would be faster, too, I don't know. Maybe as time goes along the services will start giving (more?) options for editing the conversion settings. But maybe you're right and they are (and always will be) total wastes of time. Maybe I'm just

I've actually installed Calibre on two or three machines in the past 2-3 years. I've opened it and glanced over it. I was intimidated by it a little bit. I know that it has a reputation for being easy to use, but I didn't want anything that had any learning curve to it. ha I guess that I didn't really need to convert any ebooks or I would have learned how to use it, huh?

BTW--One of the similar sites that I found is Zamzar. I tried converting an ePub to a mobi (which would almost certainly be the conversion that I would want to do most often). Well, it told me that I had succeeded. But, I forgot that I am on a backup/standby computer (because my usual one is broken) and I don't have a mobi reader installed. doh! And I don't want to start installing stuff on this computer for the little while (fingers crossed) that I'll be using it. So, I don't know what the output(?) looks like. ack!

Last edited by GtrsRGr8; 01-15-2015 at 12:29 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:38 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Zamzar looks to be calibre based as well.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote