Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #1
tbomachines
Edge User

Issue with some APKs installing, including Amazon mkt

I am one of the infamous wooters and I just got my PE today. I've been fiddling with it and already upgraded to Ermine. My problem is that I am having trouble with some APKs. I've installed the Amazon marketplace app, no problem. However as soon as I try to install Angry Birds (I'm a geek, I know) it says the install will not work. Before installing it says "Allow this application to:"
- Network communciatoin
full network access

Now thats fine, I click install. It quickly says "Application not installed" with just the done button at the bottom, no details or anything. I also tried to sideload the apks downloaded from several of the many free app sites, and none of them work. The Weather Channel app I downloaded didn't work either and gave the same error. I was however, able to get the Skype and Kindle APKs to work from the 3rd party app sites so some are successful and some are not. Is there a trick to getting this stuff to work?? It sure would be helpful if there was some kind of error log or error details to give the slightest clue as to why it wouldn't work.

Edit: I should also add that I've downloaded these multiple times

Last edited by tbomachines; 05-12-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:26 PM   #2
obsessed2
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomachines View Post
I am one of the infamous wooters and I just got my PE today. I've been fiddling with it and already upgraded to Ermine. My problem is that I am having trouble with some APKs. I've installed the Amazon marketplace app, no problem. However as soon as I try to install Angry Birds (I'm a geek, I know) it says the install will not work. Before installing it says "Allow this application to:"
- Network communciatoin
full network access

Now thats fine, I click install. It quickly says "Application not installed" with just the done button at the bottom, no details or anything. I also tried to sideload the apks downloaded from several of the many free app sites, and none of them work. The Weather Channel app I downloaded didn't work either and gave the same error. I was however, able to get the Skype and Kindle APKs to work from the 3rd party app sites so some are successful and some are not. Is there a trick to getting this stuff to work?? It sure would be helpful if there was some kind of error log or error details to give the slightest clue as to why it wouldn't work.

Edit: I should also add that I've downloaded these multiple times
Many users on this forum, myself included, have not been able to run Angry Birds. Because Ermine is a beta release there is no guarantee that all Apps will work with it. Some Apps require full flash support which the PE does not have as of now. Basically, if an App says Application not installed it is a safe bet to say it won't work with the PE. I wish I could give you a better answer but for me it has been trial and error. This is not to say there aren't some terrific Apps out there. First, start with the Entourage Store. They have many hand picked Apps for both the EE and PE. Also, check out my post for new PE owners. I detail several excellent Apps that will work on the PE. http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...et-Edge-Owners

Advert
Old 05-12-2011, 09:24 PM   #3
tbomachines
Edge User

Thank you for your response, I have found your posts very useful in getting to know my PE. I am surprised that our Ermine installs vary enough for some apps like AB work and some do not (I have read experiences saying the app is successfully installed). I have tried every version on a basically virgin Froyo install with no luck bummer! I have gone through the entire Entourage app store and found a couple that I've downloaded with no issues. I bought this thing to store my articles and take notes anyways so its probably a good thing I can't play Angry Birds...I'm still trying to find a PDF app that lets me annotate right on top of a PDF on the e-ink side and save those though, rather than going to the LCD for notes.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:26 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Repligo or ezpdf reader, both terriffic apps for the LCD. To annotate on the eink side just add to library.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #5
loonacres
Edge User

New question same subject. A couple of the apps I downloaded require a GPS (which I didn't know when I downloaded them). So they are wnloaded but won't install. Since they aren't installed, I can't "uninstall" them, how do I delete them, or at least get them off of the Amazon appstore "My Apps" page. There doesn't seem to be a way to delete them.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #6
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonacres View Post
New question same subject. A couple of the apps I downloaded require a GPS (which I didn't know when I downloaded them). So they are wnloaded but won't install. Since they aren't installed, I can't "uninstall" them, how do I delete them, or at least get them off of the Amazon appstore "My Apps" page. There doesn't seem to be a way to delete them.

Thanks in advance for any guidance!
All that means is that you own that app and can download and install in the future. Maybe you will get another Android device someday.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #7
loonacres
Edge User

Thanks for answering cheyennedonna. But my question is how do I get it so it doesn't keep showing up on my PE?

Old 05-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loonacres View Post
Thanks for answering cheyennedonna. But my question is how do I get it so it doesn't keep showing up on my PE?
There really is no way. I have the Amazon Appstore on my phone, PE and EE. All my apps show in my apps. The ones I don't have installed have the word install after them.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:36 PM   #9
alex_edge
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomachines View Post
.I'm still trying to find a PDF app that lets me annotate right on top of a PDF on the e-ink side and save those though, rather than going to the LCD for notes.
This is a native functionality of the eink side of the PE. Why would you need a separate app?

Old 05-15-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
loonacres
Edge User

Oh, OK. Thanks. I was afraid that was going to be the answer. *sigh*

Old 05-15-2011, 10:44 PM   #11
netrobot
Edge User

I've also found .apk files that give "error while parsing" responses, while downloading from other sites produces an installable file.

I also spent several hours today I'll never get back installing the stupid "emulator", only to find out that "Market" doesn't download the .apk files when it installs even FREE apps, so there is no benefit in trying to get at Market apps that way. Oddly enough there is a whole thread on people doing it, but no one has actually reported success AND detailed how they did it! (more frustration)

Old 05-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #12
Glow
Edge User

I have not tried the emulator method, but FYI, once you have an app installed you can use an app like Astro File Manager to make .apk backups. Titanium Backup also does this (and I believe supports protected apps), but requires root.