Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-28-2016, 07:07 AM   #1
Michel1
Michel1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle - looking to buy a Nook or Kobo
Kobo or Nook

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on what to buy for my next e-reader.

I have a Kindle, but I am looking to buy a Kobo or Nook to read library books on (I'm in the UK). I am considering buying second hand, but I would like one with a light, so I'm considering the Kobo Aura, Kobo glo or Nook Glowlight. Am I right in thinking all three would do the job?

Apparently Nook accounts are no longer available in the UK - is this a problem with using it to borrow library books?

The Nook would be cheaper second hand I think - is this due to the fact you can't get an account?

Anything else I should bear in mind?

Thanks for reading.
Michel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I don't have any first hand knowledge of this but I remember reading when B&N shut down in England a lot of people were stuck with useless devices.

I have a Nook Glowlight Plus and a Kobo Aura. The Glowlight Plus has a far better screen and for the most part I like the interface better but it has a capacative area right in the middle of the bottom, exactly where I want to rest my thumb, which, if touched even very lightly, sends me back to the home screen. I rarely get through a page without that happening at least once. I've tried work-arounds and nothing helps. That ruins the Nook for me.

Even though the Nook is a far nicer device I'd pick a Kobo because of that problem. I read a lot with my Kobo Aura. It's screen isn't nearly as good as the Nook but it's okay. I've never minded the screen.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Given that you are in the UK, it's a no brainer. It's Kobo. I'd recommend going with the H2O or the Aura One.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:47 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Kobo all the way.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #5
Michel1
Michel1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle - looking to buy a Nook or Kobo
Thanks

Thank you for your replies. It looks like the Kobo is better. Is there a disadvantage to the Kobo Glo compared to the Aura? The only obvious difference I could see was that the Glo only has half the memory, which wouldn't be an issue for me. I'm considering getting it second hand to save money as it's my second e-reader and I may not use it all the time.
Michel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would suggest getting a Kobo Aura H2O. I have one and it is very nice.

If for whatever reason you don't want a 6.8" screen, go for a Kobo Glo HD. Much nicer screen than the Glo and the Aura.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:25 PM   #7
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michel1 View Post
Thank you for your replies. It looks like the Kobo is better. Is there a disadvantage to the Kobo Glo compared to the Aura? The only obvious difference I could see was that the Glo only has half the memory, which wouldn't be an issue for me. I'm considering getting it second hand to save money as it's my second e-reader and I may not use it all the time.
The Aura has SD card which you said wouldn't be an issue. The Aura has a flush screen, which is nice. The screens for both the Glo and Aura are nearly identical, I think. Both are available cheaply used.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 04:48 PM   #8
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
From personal experience B&N has Horrible CS..... Kobo was great! So I go with Kobo. Right Now Kobo has the 6" Aura on sale
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 06:12 PM   #9
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
From personal experience B&N has Horrible CS..... Kobo was great!
I guess you haven't seen the multi-page Worst Customer Service thread in the Kobo forum
Old 11-28-2016, 06:30 PM   #10
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I guess you haven't seen the multi-page Worst Customer Service thread in the Kobo forum
Sad you claim you know how to read but Fail so bad.

What part of PERSONAL EXPERIANCE don't you understand?
Old 11-28-2016, 08:23 PM   #11
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
When we're talking about customer service what is there besides personal experience to go by?

I've had two encounters with Kobo service and actually both turned out pretty well. But both times they were nearly impossible to get on the phone. One time took over two weeks of trying every day. That doesn't speak well of their service.

I bought a Kobo Aura new some time ago and it had a defect but not one I couldn't live with so rather than put myself through that to exchange it I just lived with it.

By the way I've also had a couple of other experience with Rakuten's service from Buy.com and even though both turned out okay, they sure did go out of their way to make it difficult.

That's just my personal experience.

That said, I like my Kobo's a lot. I prefer my Kindles but I use both and if I could only have the Kobo I wouldn't be unhappy.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:48 PM   #12
Barbara1955
Non-Techy

Kobo......I called the very 1st time and the service was Quick & Polite even called CS of Adobe & Stayed on the phone till everything worked 100%. After that I used eMail...prompt polite help.... & they call to make sure I am happy!

B&N I got my 1st eReader from them Got stuck on the phone for Hours! Never received any help. They even Refused to Remove my sons Debit card even when I got to the point of Closing the account! Kevin finally went to the bank & had a new card issued. Poor CS Poor Product! & those on their forum that had problems sent in New eReader got Refrib in return... some several times. 1 person was on their 6th exchange when I left.
Old 11-28-2016, 09:22 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Sad you claim you know how to read but Fail so bad.

What part of PERSONAL EXPERIANCE don't you understand?
Old 11-28-2016, 10:21 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Kobo......I called the very 1st time and the service was Quick & Polite even called CS of Adobe & Stayed on the phone till everything worked 100%. After that I used eMail...prompt polite help.... & they call to make sure I am happy!
I've had a few good experiences like this with Kobo and some truly horrendous ones including an issue that never got truly fully handled after nine months of communication including directly with pre-CEO Michael Tamblyn when he was Kobo's Chief Content Officer. Ultimately I'd happily buy another Kobo device though without worrying.

Quote:
B&N I got my 1st eReader from them Got stuck on the phone for Hours! Never received any help. They even Refused to Remove my sons Debit card even when I got to the point of Closing the account! Kevin finally went to the bank & had a new card issued. Poor CS Poor Product! & those on their forum that had problems sent in New eReader got Refrib in return... some several times. 1 person was on their 6th exchange when I left.
Mostly bad experiences with them myself as well. Although when my Nook HD+ arrived with a faulty screen it was an easy in-store swap so I had a good unit the same day which was great (still have it, still works great).

Even Amazon who generally goes the extra mile isn't perfect on CS.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, library book, nook