Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-16-2014, 11:14 AM   #121
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Should this have affected all devices? There are three reports, all for Kobo devices. The others just haven't connected their devices, or am I doing something wrong in the driver?
I had tested that change with the folder device, where it did not cause any issues. And from looking at the code, it should only be triggerred if restore_state() is called for a device view, which as far as I can see only happens if you change libraries while a device is connected, but that area of code is fairly complex, so there is probably something I am missing.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #122
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Looks as if that fixed the issue here.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2014, 01:20 PM   #123
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Firstly, I need to add a traceback to show exactly where that error was thrown. It is in code that creates a book object when the book isn't in the metadata.calibre. Or when that file doesn't exist. Does your driver configuration have the option to read metadata from the files set? If so, does that book have an author in its metadata?
I checked several versions of Calibre (1.46, 47, 48, 1.204, 1.205 and 1.206) and they all have the same error with that book. I removed and reloaded the book and still the same error. The metadata looks okay when I view it. Oddly Beau Geste shows the error while Beau Ideal and Beau Sabreur which have virtually identical metadata other than title and series number do not. The entry for it in metadata.calibre does exist and the author entry is in it.

I think I may have a project for this weekend!

Regards,
David

Last edited by DNSB; 08-17-2014 at 12:21 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 08:14 PM   #124
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I checked several versions of Calibre (1.46, 47, 48, 1.204, 1.205 and 1.206) and they all have the same error with that book. I removed and reloaded the book and still the same error. The metadata looks okay when I view it. Oddly Beau Geste shows the error while Beau Ideal and Beau Sabreur which have virtually ideal metadata other than title and series number do not. The entry for it in metadata.calibre does exist and the author entry is in it.

I think I may have a project for this weekend!
Are there books missing from the device list? Or books on the device and in the library that are not marked? Looking at the code that printed the line, it might be a bit more brutal than it should be. Can I get a copy of the book to test with?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #125
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Yep, that fixed it. Should this have affected all devices? There are three reports, all for Kobo devices. The others just haven't connected their devices, or am I doing something wrong in the driver?
I don't see this error with my Kindle, even before checking out the latest commits.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2014, 10:56 PM   #126
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@davidfor

You can try putting in

import traceback
traceback.print_stack()

to see where restore_state() is being called from when you plug in your kobo.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:59 AM   #127
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That gives:

Code:
DeviceJob: 2 Get list of books on device done, calling callback
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: Starting set_books_in_library
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library: books to process= 140
DeviceJob: set_books_in_library finished: time= 0.0149998664856
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: updating views
  File "site.py", line 132, in main
  File "site.py", line 109, in run_entry_point
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\debug.py", line 220, in main
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 461, in main
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 326, in run_gui
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 444, in dispatch
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1104, in metadata_downloaded
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 1125, in set_database
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 637, in restore_state
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 461, in main
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 326, in run_gui
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\__init__.py", line 444, in dispatch
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1108, in metadata_downloaded
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 1125, in set_database
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\library\views.py", line 637, in restore_state
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre\src\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 1112, in metadata_downloaded
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: syncing
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: refreshing ondevice
DeviceJob: metadata_downloaded: sending metadata_available signal
I can see why it gets there, but I can't see why the Kobo devices are different from the others.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:22 AM   #128
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The problem happens in metadata_downloaded(), because of the error, the device_metadata_available signal is never emitted. Most device drivers dont use this signal, presumably the kobo one does.
Old 08-17-2014, 03:49 AM   #129
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The problem happens in metadata_downloaded(), because of the error, the device_metadata_available signal is never emitted. Most device drivers dont use this signal, presumably the kobo one does.
The driver doesn't, but my Kobo Utilities does. So do the Reading List and Kindle Collections plugins. Not getting the signal makes sense with the earlier error. But, what I couldn't see was why only the Kobo devices where getting that error when the device was connected.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:55 PM   #130
KeithJ108
KeithJ108 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Library Quick Switch from main toolbar

Hi,

When I click the main toolbar icon showing the current library's name, mouse-over "Quick switch" and choose another library nothing happens in Calibre 1.206.1 on OS X 10.9.1. Choosing the library name from the menu bar and following the same steps switches library successfully.
KeithJ108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #131
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@KeithJ108: I dont see this behavior on my OS X 10.9 machine. The menu entries in the Quick Switch sub menu work both from the toolbar button and the entry in the menubar. Can you post the log from running calibre in debug mode (right click the preferences button to restart calibre in debug mode).
Old 08-19-2014, 08:27 AM   #132
KeithJ108
KeithJ108 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
@KeithJ108: I dont see this behavior on my OS X 10.9 machine. The menu entries in the Quick Switch sub menu work both from the toolbar button and the entry in the menubar. Can you post the log from running calibre in debug mode (right click the preferences button to restart calibre in debug mode).
I tried the same thing again today and it worked. No idea why, I tried the obvious before posting, including upgrading 1.205.1 to 1.206.1.

No bug, my bad.
KeithJ108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:54 AM   #133
beedaddy
Groupie
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Tolino Shine 5th Gen
It's a bit late for the beta thread, but before opening a bug report...

With some (not all) eBooks, the ebook viewer shows spaces in words, that is, there are spaces between the syllables. I've never noticed this with the Qt4-based calibre.

I've not (yet) found a copyright-free eBook affected by this, but I've attached a screenshot which shows the problem. Is this a known problem or can anyone confirm it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken_hyphenation.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	127136  
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 04:00 AM   #134
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Whatever font that book is using probably has a space character for the soft hyphen, causing that problem. But it's hard to be certain without access to the book.
Old 08-22-2014, 04:23 AM   #135
beedaddy
Groupie
beedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoonbeedaddy knows that there *is* no spoon

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Tolino Shine 5th Gen
Quote:
Whatever font that book is using probably has a space character for the soft hyphen, causing that problem. But it's hard to be certain without access to the book.
Now I've found an example file. What makes me wonder is: Opening it within calibre (or directly via the file manager) shows the problem. Saving the file to disk and opening afterwards via the file manager does not show the problem. Not sure what calibre does while saving to disk.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Effie Briest - Theodor Fontane.epub (501.0 KB, 205 views)
beedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote