Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 11-11-2022, 09:55 AM   #1
Jahlon
Jahlon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Calibre Companion vs. Calibre Sync (vs. other?)

I have been looking for a universal app for easily syncing my Calibre library to my e-readers (I use an e-ink reader for books and a tablet for comics or other books that require color/illustrations). I discovered Calibre Companion (also using Moon+ as the reader which syncs reading positions). I actually really like Calibre Companion - definitely has some bugs/annoyances, but for the most part it works well and is customizable.

However, it is my understanding that CC has been abandoned, and will no longer be updated. Since that means it may one day just stop working, I decided to check out alternatives, which led me to Calibre Sync. It is very similar and overall very nice, although I like Calibre Companion a little more as it is more customizable. Calibre Sync is not without its bugs (mostly the same as CC), but also the sorting feature seems to be lacking.

So basically, looking for suggestions on which one to use - Calibre Companion, which overall I like better right now but is no longer supported, or Calibre Sync, which is close and appears to still be supported (last update was under a month ago). Does anyone have experience with them? Should I definitely avoid getting too invested in CC (is it expected to just stop working / go downhill eventually)? Or is there another alternative that is even better?
Jahlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:37 PM   #2
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Looking for the same info. I tried Calibre Companion on my iPad but after connecting to Calibre on my iMac, I couldn't find any way to import the 2600 books in Calibre en masse. I then saw Calibre Sync but before I spend $5.41, I wanted to see if anyone else uses it.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2023, 04:56 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Given
  1. the volatility of the platforms Companion and Synch run on (Android and IOS), and
  2. that they interoperate with Calibre, a moderately complex application that runs on different platforms (Windows, MacOS and Linux), and
  3. that Calibre is enhanced and updated every fortnight, and
  4. that Companion was abandoned several years ago and no-one has shown interest in rescuing it, and
  5. that Synch is maintained and enhanced by an active and reportedly user-friendly developer, and
  6. I doubt anyone has swapped Synch for Companion since the latter was abandoned, but quite a few have gone the other way,
In my opinion it's a no-brainer - Calibre-Synch.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:59 PM   #4
romad
U.S. Air Force, Retired
romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!romad , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: iPad Mini 5 & Mini 6
Thanks. I'll play around with it.
romad is offline   Reply With Quote