Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 11-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #1
K8HW
Connoisseur
K8HW began at the beginning.

Device: Galaxy A03s, Galaxy Tab A, Kindle Paperwhite (10th Gen), Nexus 7
Red face Sync problem with Calibre Companion

I am using the latest copy of Calibre (64 bit) and Calibre Companion. When I connect with my Nexus 7 (KitKat) everything goes well. When I next connect with my NookColor (Gingerbread) Companion re sends ALL 1883 books!

I then connected with the Nexus again and guess what. Calibre resends ALL 1883 books. Is this normal??
K8HW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:37 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Did you ensure that the thumbnail sizes are the same on the two devices as was discussed in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho....php?t=225172? It should be sufficient to set the thumbnail size to "large" on both devices, connect and sync each one, then set it to whatever you really want.

The only way to remove the requirement that the thumbnails be the same size is to create a separate metadata cache per device. I am still working on that.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #3
K8HW
Connoisseur

Just checked settings on both devices and they are set the same. The thumbnails are a lot bigger on the Nook Color but are set to normal.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8HW View Post
Just checked settings on both devices and they are set the same. The thumbnails are a lot bigger on the Nook Color but are set to normal.
Some explanation might help...

Early versions of CC used a single size value for a stored thumbnail: 160 pixels square. When the cover grid was added (V3), a second stored thumbnail size was also added: 320 pixels square. This larger value became the default for all new CC installations.

If your original NookColor CC install was earlier than CC V3, then its "normal" stored size was 160 px. It will stay that way until you change the cover size to "Medium" or "Large", at which point it will switch to 320 px and stay at that size. The same is true for the N7.

My guess is that one of the following two statements is true:
1) only one of the CC installs predates CC V3 (August of this year).
2) you set the cover size on one of the CC installs to medium or large, then set it back to normal.

Bottom line (I think): if you set the cover size of both devices to Medium and sync both devices, the stored cover size value will now be the same on both. You can then change either or both back to Normal.

One concern I have: the Nook Color is extremely memory challenged. I worry that making the stored size larger might cause "out of memory" errors. There is no way to put the stored cover size back to 160px once it has been changed.

I hope to have device-based caching in the next calibre release. You might prefer to wait for that.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:43 AM   #5
K8HW
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
Some explanation might help...

One concern I have: the Nook Color is extremely memory challenged. I worry that making the stored size larger might cause "out of memory" errors. There is no way to put the stored cover size back to 160px once it has been changed.

I hope to have device-based caching in the next calibre release. You might prefer to wait for that.
Thanks for the help Chaley. I'm basically a chicken! I will anxiously await the next update.
Advert
Old 11-30-2013, 10:16 AM   #6
K8HW
Connoisseur

Thumbs up Device-based caching

Quote:
Originally Posted by K8HW View Post
Thanks for the help Chaley. I'm basically a chicken! I will anxiously await the next update.
Just installed latest Calibre and I am one happy camper. I got both my tablets all synced up using CC and all is well! Thanks again for a wonderful product.

~Dave