Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-27-2023, 04:53 PM   #1
pbm160
pbm160 began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
Calibre 7.1.0 not running

I updated to Calibre 7.1.0 on my computer (Windows 11) and I can't open the program when I click on the icon. I tried to repair, to ininstall, restart and reinstall. Tried to downgrade to Calibre 7.0.0 but same thing the program doesn't open. I have use Calibre for years. First time something like that happens. What should I do?
pbm160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2023, 05:33 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm160 View Post
I updated to Calibre 7.1.0 on my computer (Windows 11) and I can't open the program when I click on the icon. I tried to repair, to ininstall, restart and reinstall. Tried to downgrade to Calibre 7.0.0 but same thing the program doesn't open. I have use Calibre for years. First time something like that happens. What should I do?
Go to the calibre config directory and rename the file gui.json to gui.json.bak. Then run calibre. If it works, it's something in that file that's the problem. Calibre will recreate it.

If that doesn't work, make a copy of the config directory and delete the original. Then try calibre again. If that works, it's something else in the config directory.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-27-2023 at 07:14 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2023, 06:38 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
GO to the calibre config directory and rename the file gui.json to gui.json.bak. Then run calibre. If it works, it's something in that file that's the problem. Calibre will recreate it.

If that doesn't work, make a copy of the config directory and delete the original. Then try calibre again. If that works, it's something else in the config directory.
↑ ↑ ↑ ✔

If it is gui.json again, then that would suggest it is not a random event, but something in gui.json that 7.1 can't handle… like maybe a screen geometry setting.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2023, 04:29 PM   #4
pbm160
pbm160 began at the beginning.

Device: Calibre
I solved the problem by downgrading to Calibre 6.29.0. Works fine now. Thanks for the replies.
pbm160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 08:59 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbm160 View Post
I solved the problem by downgrading to Calibre 6.29.0. Works fine now. Thanks for the replies.
Why not listen to the suggestion? It's very simple to check if that's the problem.
Advert
Old 11-29-2023, 03:19 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why not listen to the suggestion? It's very simple to check if that's the problem.
I think people are missing the point.

It appears that the problem isn't something 'bad' in the version 7 installer, but something 'bad' in the configuration left behind by the previous version.

I wonder if @dhowl still has his renamed gui.json, I'll send him a PM and ask him to send to me, if I can't spot something obvious, I'll ask Kovid to take a look.

BTW: where did you get the new leaf, I like it

BR
Old 12-02-2023, 01:15 PM   #7
dunhill
Guru
dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dunhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: moon+ reader, kindle paperwhite
Following this topic, what happens if a person has a backup of the configurations folder from a previous version?
Is it compatible with version 7.1 or what files would be the most important and which ones should be deleted from the backup?
dunhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 02:35 AM   #8
lordthistle
lordthistle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Same problem here on a PC with Windows 10. Ended up installing an old version, that runs fine.

Following advices found here I ran a debug CMD in a shell and the python package apsw was missing. It seems related to SQLlite.
lordthistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 04:49 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I think people are missing the point.

It appears that the problem isn't something 'bad' in the version 7 installer, but something 'bad' in the configuration left behind by the previous version.

I wonder if @dhowl still has his renamed gui.json, I'll send him a PM and ask him to send to me, if I can't spot something obvious, I'll ask Kovid to take a look.

BTW: where did you get the new leaf, I like it

BR
You should also get @pbm160 to send you his gui.json and see if anything funky is in it. Downgrading calibre is not a solution where there's a simple solution to not have to do that.
Old 12-03-2023, 04:51 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordthistle View Post
Same problem here on a PC with Windows 10. Ended up installing an old version, that runs fine.

Following advices found here I ran a debug CMD in a shell and the python package apsw was missing. It seems related to SQLlite.
In the calibre config, rename gui.json to gui.json.bak and see if the current version of 7 runs.
Old 12-03-2023, 12:24 PM   #11
KleineMaus
KleineMaus began at the beginning.

"Downgrading calibre is not a solution where there's a simple solution to not have to do that."

If the solution was that simple, the problem could have been solved by the manufacturer long ago. The advice with the gui.json and all the others don't work. The last version 6.x worked perfectly and the update to version 7 definitely does not. Not for others and not for me either. This must be reproducible and therefore solvable. Blaming the user now doesn't help. I would also like to continue working on my projects and now have to take a break because of such a bug. I also no longer have the installation file for v. 6. Where can I find earlier versions?
KleineMaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 12:29 PM   #12
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
https://download.calibre-ebook.com/
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2023, 03:25 PM   #13
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleineMaus View Post
"Downgrading calibre is not a solution where there's a simple solution to not have to do that."

If the solution was that simple, the problem could have been solved by the manufacturer long ago. The advice with the gui.json and all the others don't work. The last version 6.x worked perfectly and the update to version 7 definitely does not. Not for others and not for me either. This must be reproducible and therefore solvable. Blaming the user now doesn't help. I would also like to continue working on my projects and now have to take a break because of such a bug. I also no longer have the installation file for v. 6. Where can I find earlier versions?
Read posts #26 to #31 in ==>> https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...=356936&page=2

There's a link to previous releases on the calibre download pages, they've been there for decades.

BR
Old 12-03-2023, 06:43 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KleineMaus View Post

Did you try renaming the calibre config directory to calibre.bak and seeing if version 7 runs with a fresh config file? If you did and it didn't work, did you try booking into safe mode to see if something you are running on start is at fault?
Old 12-06-2023, 11:11 AM   #15
RalphGL
RalphGL began at the beginning.

On my System (Windows 10.0.19045) Calibre did not start anymore, after update to 7.1.0.0. Using the repair-button of the setup-programm didn't help.

Quote:
Did you try renaming the calibre config directory to calibre.bak and seeing if version 7 runs with a fresh config file? If you did and it didn't work, did you try booking into safe mode to see if something you are running on start is at fault?
I found the gui.json file on my windows 10 in C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\calibre and have removed/renamed it. After restart, there was an new one, but Calibre didn't start anymore.
What do you mean with "config directory"? There are many files and directories. Which one should I rename?
RalphGL is offline   Reply With Quote