Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
richy1989
Connoisseur
richy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & Kindle 4 Black
Lightbulb Disable Kindle Indexing

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
If you have found a way to disable the indexer, please let us know.
It is part of the system that you never see.
I have got a way to disable the indexer,
you can have a try it.
Wish it is nice to solve this problem!

------------------------------------------------------------------
1.Install the Jailbreak and usbnetwork

2.Use the Winscp to make a ssh to the Kindle

3.Edit the file etc/upstart/framework

4.Find the line 'DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=true',
edit it,make it be 'DENABLE_SEARCH_INDEXING_THREAD=false'

5.Save it and exit.

6.Restart the Kindle
------------------------------------------------------------------
Tips:
If you still want to use the indexer and make it work better,
you also can edit the file etc/upstart/framework
Find the line '-Xmx20m',
edit it,make it be '-Xmx30m'.

It will be higher efficiency to index the ‘larger’ document which is with a lot of word inside .

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1204101325bc1df60b1fb27c6a.png
Views:	4293
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	109723   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	4223
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	109724  

Last edited by twobob; 08-23-2013 at 04:09 AM.
richy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:39 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
seems like that could be made into a button with a bit of love.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2013, 02:35 AM   #3
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Touch (5.3.7)
A beginner question - would one use
Code:
mntroot rw
in a script to copy an original and modified file back and forth? And can I just issue
Code:
restart framework
after to make the change? Is there a safer/better way?
brianinmaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 03:42 AM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I would probably back up the original file to copy

awk the changes to the original inline

add a failsafe in the event of total disaster to restore the original file

then restart the framework.
(This would be for buttonified operation)

However, all that said. "Yes", in answer to your original question.
Old 08-23-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
brianinmaine
Evangelist
brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brianinmaine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

button included to extract to extensions - MIGHT NOT BE GOOD/SAFE YET - USE AT OWN RISK!!!

Code:
#!/bin/sh
if [ ! -f "framework.orig" ];
  then 
    cp /etc/upstart/framework /mnt/us/extensions/indexing/framework.orig
fi

if grep -q INDEXING_THREAD=true /etc/upstart/framework; then
  mntroot rw
    sed -i 's/INDEXING_THREAD=true/INDEXING_THREAD=false/g' /etc/upstart/framework
    sed -i 's/\soff\s/ on /g' /mnt/us/extensions/indexing/menu.json
else
  mntroot rw                                                                       
    sed -i 's/INDEXING_THREAD=false/INDEXING_THREAD=true/g' /etc/upstart/framework
    sed -i 's/\son\s/ off /g' /mnt/us/extensions/indexing/menu.json
fi

restart framework
mntroot ro
Attached Files
File Type: zip indexing.zip (1.3 KB, 239 views)

Last edited by brianinmaine; 08-23-2013 at 03:08 AM.
Advert
Old 08-23-2013, 04:20 AM   #6
twobob

I think I would

mntroot ro
restart framework

Just to be safe

Nice work!
Old 08-23-2013, 04:54 AM   #7
brianinmaine
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I think I would

mntroot ro
restart framework

Just to be safe

Nice work!
I did that, but it kept complaining about re-mounting read only. try it, you will see. works like it is, even changes the menu item (I like that part).

Any other suggestions? If not, I'll index it in the next few days to
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=205064

Last edited by brianinmaine; 08-23-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
mthodmn101
mthodmn101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
tried this, but its still indexing, and my search indexes folder is ballooning up.
mthodmn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
twobob

tried disabling the thread?

what does showlog -f show you? (when you watch for a bit) still indexing activity?
Old 09-07-2013, 10:23 PM   #10
brianinmaine
Evangelist

maybe restarting framework isn't enough - maybe have to reboot?
Old 09-08-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
mthodmn101
mthodmn101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianinmaine View Post
maybe restarting framework isn't enough - maybe have to reboot?
tried reboot as well. As soon as device goes to sleep, it starts indexing. Double-checked in terminal, and the setting is set to false but no go. The Search Indexes folder was over 100mb and it really slows down searching.
mthodmn101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:37 PM   #12
twobob

hmm.... interesting. Good info.

I did note a PW going screensaver does, at that moment, begin the indexing.
Unmodified with this hack of course.

Can ANYONE confirm that this actually works?
Would be helpful
Old 09-08-2013, 11:42 PM   #13
brianinmaine
Evangelist

Hm - I have it turned off on my Touch. I watched it go to screensaver and I'm not sure what to look for? I see 'wifid: spectator: scan start' What is the indexer called? As you can see, I have VERY little knowlege of this stuff!

Edit - I deleted the indexes, watched it go into screensaver, and saw it start the indexer. FAIL!! Oh well, I guess this was all just a waste of time - again. Although, I did learn a bit

Edit 2: it didn't create the files I had deleted, it just failed. Maybe if the script does a tar.gz of the directory first, then delete/restore at will? (I did, of course have them backed up before I deleted, so I can restore if I want.)

Last edited by brianinmaine; 09-09-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #14
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
Quote:
Tips:
If you still want to use the indexer and make it work better,
you also can edit the file etc/upstart/framework
Find the line '-Xmx20m',
edit it,make it be '-Xmx30m'.
Could you explain what does this actually do? Any side effects by modifying it? (battery drain, etc.)

Last edited by Aeris; 09-17-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
twobob

allows 10 megabytes more to the process, far as I can tell.
Unsure of actual impact that might have.

the OP's implication is that it will "speed the job up".