Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 01-30-2006, 12:08 PM   #1
mschayna
mschayna began at the beginning.

Device: palm tungsten t3
Unhappy non-western encodings

There are two main encodings for czech language, "windows-1250" and "iso-8859-2". Output (PDA) encoding is usually first one, but huge number of web pages is written in second one.

Latest version of Sunrise XP couldn't handle this -- for example site http://www.root.cz/ ends with error in update log: type="text/html (iso-8859-2)", status="error: Error transcoding characters".

Sunrise 0.42 works like a charm.

Best regards,

Martin Schayna
Old 01-30-2006, 01:47 PM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Looks like a bug. Will look into this for alpha 4.
Advert
Old 02-01-2006, 07:49 AM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Fixed for alpha 4. I've loaded Piloc Czech on my Palm and the output of this site seems alright. I can't read the language, so I can't really verify that it's working completely, though.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:57 AM   #4
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Unhappy Bad news

I have some bad news for you: the next Sunrise XP alpha will no longer support non-Western language encodings.

The current alpha 3 release has problems handling character encodings due to the way the character transcoding library (libiconv) is built. I have a working solution for this, but it requires that the libiconv be linked statically into the application. However, libiconv is licensed under the LGPL, which, would require me to make the object files and linker scripts available as well. (Which I'm not going to do.)

The good news is that Windows comes with its own libraries for converting between character encodings. This is, however, going to take some time to implement. I'm too far in the v2.0 development to retrofit this functionality at this stage. Therefore I'm removing the non-Western language encoding support altogether and will reimplement it for v2.1.

Sorry to disappoint you, and all other people. Your best bet is to stick with the Java version for now.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:46 AM   #5
mschayna

Thank you

So I'll be looking forward to v2.1.

Martin Schayna
Advert
Old 06-07-2006, 06:15 AM   #6
Laurens
Jah Blessed

I've looked at the encoding problem in detail over the past few evenings and can't find a satisfactory solution. The built-in Windows libraries for converting between characters sets don't seem to work very well.

I'm not going to spend any more time on this, so non-Western language encoding support is now definitely out of the picture. Sorry to disappoint people.
Old 06-08-2006, 04:58 AM   #7
mschayna

It's a pitty, but never mind. I've had to downgrade to JPluck...

Maybe you'll change your mind on non-western charsets in the future.

Thanks and see you in better times.

Martin.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #8
ojarux
ojarux began at the beginning.

Device: treo650
I'm glad to see a new version of Sunrise XP(v2.0 beta 10a) with non-Western language support.

But it still doesn't work. I can't see no double-byte characters in plucker viewer even if I set the language "Japanese". Sunrise 0.42 works well using "SHIFT-JIS" for output-encoding.

I'm looking forward to fixed version.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:09 AM   #9
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Turns out non-Western encodings still don't work. There's not going to be any fix for this either. Sorry.
Old 10-03-2006, 05:29 AM   #10
danielbu
danielbu began at the beginning.

Device: Tungsten E|2
Unhappy non-western encodings :-(

HELP! I would really like to be able to use Plucker in HEBREW! Can anyone Help me, if not SunriseXP?
Old 10-03-2006, 08:06 AM   #11
Laurens
Jah Blessed

The Java version of Sunrise should work with Hebrew, provided you have the international version of Java installed. (I.e. with support for Hebrew character encodings.)
Old 10-25-2006, 05:09 PM   #12
danielbu

Thanks, Laurens.

Two problems: There's something weird in the conduit: I have to locate the pdb file and push it through PalmQuickInstall...

And, of course, the encoding problem. There are at least 6 possible encodings for Hebrew (windows-1255, visual ISO-8859-8, ISO-8859-8-I, IBM 862, MacHebrew, and UTF-8) only windows-1255 seems to work on the output, but the word order is backwards (each word is in the right direction, but each row is backwards) when I use the autodetect input setting. Every web page, unfortunately, uses its own settings, so setting the encoding manually means reading the source for every page...

I guess it's back to ISilo for the time being...
Old 10-30-2006, 03:32 PM   #13
jont
JonT
jont began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone
I have had some success with Hebrew documents in Plucker by changing the text alignment. Under the Options menu, select "Preferences". For "Alignment", choose "Force Right".

Documents are still readable in English, though the right alignment is not as pretty. But it does seem to fix the word-order problem with Hebrew documents. Of course, YMMV.

I use the Java version of Sunrise, by the way.

JonT
Old 10-31-2006, 05:35 PM   #14
danielbu

Much better! Thanks, JonT! What a life saver. Now, on to fonts - any help there? Where can I find smaller Hebrew fonts for plucker?