Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-12-2020, 04:13 AM   #61
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
This might be worth a Look:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corel

Corel isn't really Corel by now.
It's a more like Computer Associates, the last stop of once great software, milking the installed base with minimally upgraded releases. I'd forgotten they ended up taking over Micrografx. I used to love DESIGNER. CorelDraw, not as much.
Corel is owned by KKR, the same people who just bought Overdrive from Kobo in December. (Also part of the consortium that sucked the marrow from the bones of Toys-R-Us.)

https://americanlibrariesmagazine.or...rs-what-means/

https://media.kkr.com/news-releases/...oration-vector

But Corel was already owned by another investment firm, Vector Capitol (and who knows whom before that.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 04:16 AM   #62
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I've always used the Atlantis Word Processor whenever I wanted to create an epub. It's had that capability since at least 2010, when I first put it on a computer.
I tried a very simple document in LibreOffice Writer and Calibre seemed to handle it fine. I might try something more complicated (not like I know what I'm doing anyhow).
Advert
Old 05-12-2020, 05:55 AM   #63
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
I tried the epub plug in for the older LibreOffice years ago. Then the built in epub export on 6.x.
It's poor compared to Save As "docx", import to Calibre and convert to epub2, then convert epub2 to azw/kf8. Using that route gives an ebook on supporting Kindles and all epub based ereaders almost identical to the deskktop view on LibreOffice. Windows or Linux makes no difference. Only the kepub is different because it seems to render margins in "points" different to "ems". Manually editing the css from points to ems (12 pt = 1em) works perfectly for kepub. LibreOffice can't do "ems", but the "points" work fine on every epub based ereader, old kindles using Mobi and later kindles using KF8, all converted from epub2 converted from the LibreOffice "docx".
However DON'T OPEN or edit the docx in LO, only edit in ODT format and do an extra "Save As" in docx as importing docx or doc to LO does a conversion.

The question is not "Can Wordperfect save in epub format" but "Can anything save Wordperfect". Lack of language support killed the original Wordstar, it was 7 bit ASCII! Then the bought in Wordstar 2000 wasn't actually compatible.
Eurdora email client died for various reasons in 2003 (that's when a lot of users inc the company I worked in then and a lot of our clients changed to Thunderbird). One major limitation was only one code page. Basically only Western / Latin / Windows text.

I'd guess the only people using WP now are people that feel locked into it.
I'd wonder too about people using IIS, DB2, Oracle Database etc on regular x86 web servers. When MS started seriously attacking Linux in 1998 (Halloween Papers) it had 5% server share on the Internet. It's now over 90% of the servers the public access and the most popular on MS's Cloud, Azure. MS uses Linux for their edge routers.
ARM licensees sell more CPUs in a week than Intel in a year, most run actual Linux or Android which apart from the GUI and app framework and VM for apps is mostly Linux.

Wordperfect is a museum piece. I was clearing the attic this last week and chucked out manuals for Apple Mac (68K ROM version) and its 800K floppy drive, 6800 assembler, Quarterdeck, Crosstalk Communicator, DOS WP and WS and many others inc discs too. Old DOS games are more worth keeping. Many even work on a phone or tablet in DosBox (and did even in 2006 on Symbian), or in Dosbox on Linux. I downloaded official Daggerfall from the developer of Morrowind/Oblivion / Skyrim. It has instructions to run it in Dosbox.

I've been using LibreOffice Writer + Calibre for actual ebooks for four years and back then stopped using MS Word on XP and was using LibreOffice on XP. I used Win7 and Win10 briefly and now only Linux Mint.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:38 AM   #64
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I've been using LibreOffice Writer + Calibre for actual ebooks for four years and back then stopped using MS Word on XP and was using LibreOffice on XP. I used Win7 and Win10 briefly and now only Linux Mint.
Linux Mint exclusively for me for about 10 or 11 years now, though I currenly use LibreOffice rarely. When I do use a processor that's what i use, though. So LibreOffice Writer, export to DOCX and then convert to ePub in Calibre. That's the way I'll do it (if I ever learn anything about creating ePubs).

I picked up one of your books you promoted at Smash Words. I haven't read it yet, but the layout is good. I'm guessing it was created in LibreOffice and Calibre as described?
Old 05-12-2020, 09:16 AM   #65
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
It was fun reading you fine folks relittigating the past. I didn’t participate this time, but enjoyed it nonetheless
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #66
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
I've always used the Atlantis Word Processor whenever I wanted to create an epub. It's had that capability since at least 2010, when I first put it on a computer.
Y'know, I have AWP, licensed and I've played with it. it's not a terrible word processor. I've recommended it to DIY self-publishing authors, for that reason--they can write whatever they want in Word or Scrivener or Bob's Big Word Processor, then put it into AWP and kablammo!, instant ePub, even with fonts.

BUT, having said that, the code underneath is fairly yucky. It works, yes and it's not like it's a plague on humanity or anything like that, but if you write HTML for eBooks, it's a bit unpleasant. {shrug} Offered FWIW.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:59 AM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How well does AWP work making ePub if you use styles properly?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #68
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It has a 30-day free trial.
Give it a shot and see how you like it.
Lots of people like it but since tastes vary...

https://www.atlantiswordprocessor.com/en/

Here's a review from 2015:

https://download.cnet.com/Atlantis-W...-10057477.html

Last edited by fjtorres; 05-12-2020 at 11:23 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:15 PM   #69
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Jon, dear boy, do you really think I'd test it on a file that didn't have properly-deployed styles?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 12:33 PM   #70
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Jon, dear boy, do you really think I'd test it on a file that didn't have properly-deployed styles?

Hitch

fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 02:06 PM   #71
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I picked up one of your books you promoted at Smash Words. I haven't read it yet, but the layout is good. I'm guessing it was created in LibreOffice and Calibre as described?
Yes. I avoid anything complicated and then the CSS doesn't need edited. PM me or use the contact form if you have any technical problems. That one would have been imported to LibreOffice from MS Word originally. You always have to fix page styles, headers and paragraph styles when you do that. So never use "doc" or "docx" as the edit format, only "odt". An extra copy is saved as docx for Calibre. The Calibre conversion of odt is um strange. If the styles, TOC, headings, anchors etc are done properly then the epub2 (and AZW/KF8 from epub2) are looking like the original. I change page size to be more like an ereader view too when I first import them. Curiously azw/kf8 direct from docx has the "first paragraph" style (where there is no indent) with a slightly different font size. Using docx -> epub is fine and docx -> epub -> azw is fine.
I only use "dual mobi" for Smashword's Kindle format. Amazon KDP uses the exact same epub2 file as Smashwords gets. I test the "dual mobi" on a DXG, kindle keyboard (both views) and PW3. If there is a new style used I test also on 5" phone ereader apps, Sony PRS350 and Nook Simple Touch as well as the Kobo. I also test that non-latin characters are sensible. Mostly avoided.

We don't rely on the file KDP offers. Test purchases are done.

Also there is a guide in preparation for our small group of writers. One part is filling in stuff not clear in Trask or Eat Shoots and Leaves and our "house" style guide on those issues. The other is the process from gathering fragments of text, to LibreOffice and simplest approaches to chapters (if used), footnotes (please don't!), contents, images, different sorts of scene breaks.
<-- See Ray beside wall in avatar image?

Last edited by Quoth; 05-12-2020 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-12-2020, 02:17 PM   #72
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I heard GRR Martin still uses Wordstar! I gave that up in about 1996, out of arrogance. I wrote a text editor for audio typing and imported all the Wordstar stuff into it.
Old 05-12-2020, 03:17 PM   #73
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I've had Atlantis since it was first released as "Atlantis Ocean Mind" shareware (BEAUTIFUL splash screen), and relevant to this discussion, it too was slow to adopt Unicode. As one of the first 100 purchasers, I kept asking them about it and kept getting told "tables first". As a result, I stopped using it as my primary, and am not sure where it's at with Unicode now. It's effectively a feature-rich Notepad for me now, my goto is LibreOffice which I know handles my Unicode needs fine.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 05:04 PM   #74
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post

Hitch
I was thinking it was maybe one of your clients "messy" files. I've seen what can come from Word and it can be an abomination.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 11:28 AM   #75
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I think the problem was that the Wordperfect team sat on their respective butts and were late to the game when it came to developing a Windows version.
Corel is where software goes, not to die, but to be mummified. Ask any photographer about how much they love Corel and what they do to the software they buy.

A new feature of substance in ANY Corel product is so rare that any sort of celebration will go for naught because none of us may live long enough to see another!
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote