Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-27-2023, 01:56 PM   #511
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
TL;DR: Identify your device, make sure your device is running an appropriate FW version, then install the WatchThis JB.
[/INDENT][/INDENT]

Making sure your JB survives updates.[INDENT]
It's as simple as installing the JB Hotfix.
This will also take care of a few other necessary bits and bobs for the following steps.
Just wondering, while I prepare hoping for the jb tomorrow...
Here you say to install the JB Hotfix to make sure the jailbreak survives updates (until fw 5.15.1 at least), but in the watchlist jb thread there is a step that tells you to install "Update_hotfix_watchthis_custom.bin"

So... are these two pieces of software overlapping? Or maybe doing the same thing?
Do I need to install the JB Hotfix if I install the "hotfix_watchthis" or do I not?

Last edited by Ruskie_it; 03-28-2023 at 11:43 AM.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:11 PM   #512
vatmann
vatmann began at the beginning.

Device: kindle2 b002
jailbreak

help me to jailbreak my kindl2 us b002, when I install it, an error u006 appears, why is my firmware 2.5.8
vatmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2023, 01:36 PM   #513
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@vatmann:

Shockingly enough, you just needed to read the instructions correctly first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
(And, on FW 2.x only, it should FAIL (With a U006 error, in the bottom left corner of the screen). It's completely normal, intended, and harmless).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 01:49 PM   #514
vatmann

I understood it, I made the koul shell, but it does not start, I did it according to the instructions from this forum
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20230404_160659041.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	1.48 MB
ID:	200781  
Old 04-04-2023, 02:14 PM   #515
vatmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by vatmann View Post
I understood it, I made the koul shell, but it does not start, I did it according to the instructions from this forum

I can install this app

Update_KUALBooklet_
Advert
Old 04-04-2023, 05:39 PM   #516
vatmann

I am having difficulties, my book does not see such an Update_KUALBooklet_.bin update, although I downloaded it there, what can you advise?
Old 04-04-2023, 08:14 PM   #517
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
We advise to read the instructions carefully and to gain a better grasp of what hacks and tools are for which generation of Kindle models and firmware branches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUAL instructions
As pretty much anything here, your device will need to be jailbroken. Please refer to the wiki and/or the stickies & index for the appropriate method for your specific Kindle model .

In addition, you may need to install MKK: if your device runs on FW 5.x, and you're using the K5 JB >= 1.11.N (or the associated "hotfix"), you don't need to do anything, MKK is bundled with your JB. If you're using an older device, you will need to install MKK yourself .

Finally, you need to install KUAL itself, by putting the appropriate azw2 file somewhere in the documents/ directory tree of your device.
First, download the latest KUAL archive from the Snapshots thread and unpack it. Then, if your device runs on FW 5.x, use the KUAL-KDK-2.0.azw2 file. If your device is older, use the KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2 file.
So, you don't use KUAL booklet version on Kindle 2, you need to copy "KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2" file into "documents" folder on your Kindle.
And you need to install "MKK" since that isn't included / bundled with Kindle 2 jailbreak.

MKK download link: https://storage.gra.cloud.ovh.net/v1...-r18833.tar.xz

KUAL download link:
https://storage.gra.cloud.ovh.net/v1...0221017.tar.xz

Last edited by shamanNS; 04-04-2023 at 08:18 PM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:46 AM   #518
vatmann

[ QUOTE = shamanNS; 4311818 ] Ми радимо уважно прочитати інструкції та краще зрозуміти, що таке хаки та інструменти для якого покоління моделей Kindle та гілок прошивки.

Отже, ви не використовуєте версію буклета KUAL на Kindle 2, вам потрібно скопіювати файл "KUAL-KDK-1.0.azw2" у папку "документи" на Kindle.
І вам потрібно встановити "MKK", оскільки це не входить / не поєднується з джейлбрейком Kindle 2.

Посилання для завантаження MKK: [ url ] https://storage.gra.cloud.ovh.net/v1/AUTH_2ac4bfee353948ec8ea7fd1710574097/mr-public/Touch/kindle-mkk-20141129-r18833.tar.xz[/url]

Посилання для завантаження KUAL:
[ Url ] https://storage.gra.cloud.ovh.net/v1/AUTH_2ac4bfee353948ec8ea7fd1710574097/mr-public/KUAL/KUAL-v2.7.29-g7750a3a-20221017.tar.xz[/url][/QUOTE]
my k2 cdma device. the last photo shows that all these files have been installed, my device still says that I am not a developer and cannot run the kual shell
Old 04-06-2023, 02:57 PM   #519
SYRIUSDARK
SYRIUSDARK began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE 3 KEYBOARD
hello help i think i have jailbroken i have a k10 generation with firmw 5.13.7 kt4 or kids and i can't get it to work kual or anything else after jailbreaking and hotfixing, can you tell me what i am doing wrong
SYRIUSDARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 08:12 PM   #520
Corvid
Corvid began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Kindle Paperwhite (PW) 5.3.3

I have trouble figuring out if this version of Kindle can be used with any of the JB packages: Original Paperwhite (PW / PW1) aka. Kindle 5th Generation (Serial starts with B024), downgraded from Firmware 5.6.1.1 to 5.3.3 (via https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=264432)

I've tried following the instructions from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=320564 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=346037 but they don't work for me. In the WatchThis thread, no matter what I do, the device doesn't enter demo mode.
Corvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 06:27 AM   #521
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle PW1
@Corvid This is the jailbreak method you need to use:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=186645

Quote:

Download the K5 JailBreak package from the Snapshots thread, and unpack it. In here, you'll find a few files.
Unzip the contents of the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip archive to the root directory of your Kindle.

Now, eject & unplug your Kindle, and go to [HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Update Your Kindle. The updater won't actually ever run, this is normal. After a few seconds, the words **** JAILBREAK **** will appear at the bottom of your screen to confirm that the device is jailbroken . You won't see this message again, it's simply a confirmation message.

And that's it, your Kindle is now ready to install custom hacks!

Since v1.11.N: If you need to use something MKK-powered immediately, be aware that MKK will only be active on the next boot. Installing another package through the Update mechanism will do the trick, or you can manually trigger a device restart ([HOME] -> [MENU] > Settings -> [MENU] > Restart).
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2023, 04:24 AM   #522
n0ukf
n0ukf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Keyboard D00901; Kindle D01100; Kindle Touch D01200
Are any of the available jailbreaks still compatible with v5.3.7.3 or earlier firmware Kindles?
n0ukf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 05:53 PM   #523
Voltinus
Voltinus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
I'm getting:

Application Error
The selected application could not be started. Please try again.

I'm running 5.12.2.2 on PW2. The error I'm getting pops up when clicking "Exit" at the beginning of the step 7. of Jailbreak section. How could I resolve this? I'v triple checked if I uploaded the right files
Voltinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 06:06 PM   #524
Voltinus
Voltinus began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW2
Nevermind, hard rebooted the device, removed .demo, repeated steps 1-6 and now it works ��
Voltinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 04:51 AM   #525
juergen
juergen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Firmware > 15.12 ok now?

New user here. First, thank you all for all the work that went into figuring out the jailbreaks and upgrades, and for making the information available here and keeping it up-to-date!

I want to turn a Kindle into a dedicated web-connected dashboard device. (A smart clock which also displays upcoming appointments, to help an aging relative get their bearings.) Bought a used PW3 with firmware 5.9.x, and intend to update the firmware to a suitable archived version and then follow the process outlined in this thread.

One thing confuses me in the original post here: There are repeated warnings to stay away from firmware versions >= 15.12.x, but all of the supported jailbreaks cactually require a newer firmware?! Can I assume that the warnings are outdated? If I update the PW3 to e.g. firmware 15.4.2, install the jailbreak/MRPI/KUAL and then install renameotabin, will it be safe to enable the WiFi?

Thanks for helping me out, and apologies if this has been asked and answered before in this long thread.
juergen is offline   Reply With Quote