Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
boca-kun
boca-kun began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
[Kobo Clara HD] Romanian UI keyboard

Hello!

Is there any patch for adding Romanian characters to the UI keyboard of a Kobo Clara HD? I have managed to add a Romanian dictionary to it, but I am still not able to search for words containing the caracters Ș or Ț.

Thank you in advance for your help!!
boca-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 11:31 AM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
You might want to look at the Instructions for patching firmware 4.26.16704 thread in the Kobo Developer's Corner subforum. The libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml has patches for Cyrillic, Greek and Bulgarian keyboards which you might look at using as the basic for a Romanian keyboard to replace the extended Latin keyboard.

Download the patch file from the link in the first message in that thread, unzip it and take a look through the files.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2021, 05:54 PM   #3
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
try

Click image for larger version

Name:	02b738c1291b47e291535fc3b39feba0.png
Views:	301
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	186209

Spoiler:
Code:
Romanian Phonetic Keyboard (GloHD/ClaraHD/AuraOne/H2O2/Forma/Libra):
  - Enabled: no
  - PatchGroup: Keyboard alternatives
  - Description: |
      Replaces keys on the Extended Latin keypad with Romanian alternatives.

Note that after the device boots, the keypad might just show blank squares
      until after the first book has been opened.
      Also note that long-pressing keys on the base keypad will no longer show
      the appropriate list of Extended Latin keys.
  # Replace layout sign
  - FindBaseAddressString: "ÉÀÇ"
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0, Find: "ÉÀÇ", Replace: "RON"}
  # Change keyboard layout
  - FindBaseAddressString: "ý\0\0ÿ\0\0š\0\0ž\0\0"
  # Top row, left to right (10 keys):
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x00, Find: "ý\0", Replace: "ă"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x04, Find: "ÿ\0", Replace: "â"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x08, Find: "š\0", Replace: "ș"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x0C, Find: "ž\0", Replace: "ț"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x10, Find: "æ\0", Replace: "<"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x14, Find: "œ\0", Replace: ">"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x18, Find: "þ\0", Replace: "?"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: -56, Find: "ß\0", Replace: ","}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x1C, Find: "ij\0", Replace: "."}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x20, Find: "ŀ\0", Replace: "/"}
    # Second row, left to right (10 keys):
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x28, Find: "à\0", Replace: "q"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x2C, Find: "á\0", Replace: "w"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x30, Find: "â\0", Replace: "e"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x34, Find: "ä\0", Replace: "r"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x38, Find: "ã\0", Replace: "t"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x3C, Find: "å\0", Replace: "y"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x40, Find: "è\0", Replace: "u"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x44, Find: "é\0", Replace: "i"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x48, Find: "ê\0", Replace: "o"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x4C, Find: "ë\0", Replace: "p"}
    # Third row, left to right (10 keys):
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x50, Find: "ò\0", Replace: "a"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x54, Find: "ó\0", Replace: "s"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x58, Find: "ô\0", Replace: "d"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x5C, Find: "ö\0", Replace: "f"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x60, Find: "õ\0", Replace: "g"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x64, Find: "ø\0", Replace: "h"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x68, Find: "ì\0", Replace: "j"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x6C, Find: "í\0", Replace: "k"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x70, Find: "î\0", Replace: "l"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x74, Find: "ï\0", Replace: ";"}
    # Fourth row, left to right (8 keys):
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x78, Find: "ù\0", Replace: "î"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x7C, Find: "ú\0", Replace: "z"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x80, Find: "û\0", Replace: "x"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x84, Find: "ü\0", Replace: "c"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x88, Find: "ñ\0", Replace: "v"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x8C, Find: "ç\0", Replace: "b"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x90, Find: "đ\0", Replace: "n"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x94, Find: "ł\0", Replace: "m"}

System fonts must be updated to display glyphs ș and ț.
more about the update

Last edited by issybird; 03-29-2021 at 02:05 PM. Reason: Oversize image attached as thumbnail. Please read the guidelines.
Semwize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:59 AM   #4
boca-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You might want to look at the Instructions for patching firmware 4.26.16704 thread in the Kobo Developer's Corner subforum. The libnickel.so.1.0.0.yaml has patches for Cyrillic, Greek and Bulgarian keyboards which you might look at using as the basic for a Romanian keyboard to replace the extended Latin keyboard.

Download the patch file from the link in the first message in that thread, unzip it and take a look through the files.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
You might want to look at the Instructions for patching firmware 4.26.16704 thread in the Kobo Developer's Corner subforum.
Thank you for your guidance! I've been able to add them, but they still appear as boxes with a question mark inside, even after I have opened some books on the device. Also, when I search a word in the Romanian dictionary containing those characters, it doesn't recognize them as being the same as the ones added.

After some time I have realized that there are 2 types of characters: Ș vs Ş & Ț vs Ţ. The second ones are recognized by Kobo, but unfortunately, the ones used in the dictionary I have are the first ones, so if I search a word using the last ones, the search would fail to find the respective word.

I have thought that I furtherly have two variants: either change all the Șs into Şs and the Țs into Ţs in the dictionary I have, or make the other pair visible on the keyboard.

For the first one I would need a StarDict editor. Do you know one that I could use?

For the second one, which seems much easier to do, I have no idea of how I should proceed.. All the information you have regarding this, I'd be grateful to receive.
Old 03-27-2021, 04:54 PM   #5
Semwize
Guru
Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Semwize ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boca-kun View Post
I have thought that I furtherly have two variants: either change all the Șs into Şs and the Țs into Ţs in the dictionary I have, or make the other pair visible on the keyboard.

For the first one I would need a StarDict editor. Do you know one that I could use?

For the second one, which seems much easier to do, I have no idea of how I should proceed.. All the information you have regarding this, I'd be grateful to receive.
You were given an answer in the next topic what to do. To fully reflect these glyphs everywhere, the best option is to replace the system font. You, apparently, did not do this and again ask the same question.
Advert
Old 03-29-2021, 07:09 AM   #6
boca-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Semwize View Post
You were given an answer in the next topic what to do. To fully reflect these glyphs everywhere, the best option is to replace the system font. You, apparently, did not do this and again ask the same question.
There is no sense in replacing the system font when the characters in books don't match the ones in the dictionary. I'm in the process of creating a new dictionary. Thank you for your help, anyway.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:32 AM   #7
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
the characters in books don't match the ones in the dictionary.
So you're trying to convince me that all your e-book publishers are using the wrong glyphs? In all the books? I don't read Romanian, but I still don't believe it at all. Correct just like in your dictionary: ș (U+0219) and ț (U+021B)
https://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfabetul_limbii_române

And change correctly in those books where other, similar glyphs are used.

Edit:
I was so surprised by your explanation that downloaded a couple of books in Romanian and looked - the correct symbols are used there. You are clearly confusing something. Or I downloaded it wrong and not there.

Last edited by Semwize; 03-29-2021 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:20 AM   #8
boca-kun

Quote:
So you're trying to convince me that all your e-book publishers are using the wrong glyphs? In all the books? I don't read Romanian, but I still don't believe it at all. Correct just like in your dictionary: ș (U+0219) and ț (U+021B)
https://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfabetul_limbii_române

And change correctly in those books where other, similar glyphs are used.

Edit:
I was so surprised by your explanation that downloaded a couple of books in Romanian and looked - the correct symbols are used there. You are clearly confusing something. Or I downloaded it wrong and not there.
No, I did not try to convince you of anything. All the books I have downloaded, though, use the Ş & Ţ pair, not the Ș & Ț one. They might not be correct ones, but it is what it is.
Old 03-29-2021, 07:50 PM   #9
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
No, I did not try to convince you of anything. All the books I have downloaded, though, use the Ş & Ţ pair, not the Ș & Ț one. They might not be correct ones, but it is what it is.
What has to do with convincing or proving something? The correct action is to either correct these symbols in the books, or choose another source for downloading the books.
Since it is correct
U + 0218 Ș
U + 0219 ș
U + 021A Ț
U + 021B ț

And you do the opposite and call on others to do it. This will lead to more confusion in the future. When all the publishers (sites) fix it - and they will definitely do it.

https://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipe...hi_și_noi

Massively, you can fix it, for example, using kepubify from geek1011 or other programs, I do not know what format of books you are using.
In general, the publisher should deal with this, if a single standard has been adopted in Romania. That is why I find it strange that you have such books.

And changing dictionaries, confusing more and more, is generally a fail, IMHO. There is a single standard. And both books, and dictionaries, and reading devices must comply with this standard. Otherwise, such confusion will grow for a long time. What is not good, do you agree?

For yourself, you can change anything and how you want. But for other Romanian users, your changes may be completely wrong, and even harmful. That is why 0219 and 021B are used on site dexonline.ro, not your version.

Last edited by Semwize; 03-29-2021 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2021, 03:59 AM   #10
takfarinas
takfarinas began at the beginning.

Device: kobo h2o libra
hello Semwise

Quote:
try

Attachment 186209

Spoiler:
Code:
Romanian Phonetic Keyboard (GloHD/ClaraHD/AuraOne/H2O2/Forma/Libra):
  - Enabled: no
  - PatchGroup: Keyboard alternatives
  - Description: |
      Replaces keys on the Extended Latin keypad with Romanian alternatives.

Note that after the device boots, the keypad might just show blank squares
      until after the first book has been opened.
      Also note that long-pressing keys on the base keypad will no longer show
      the appropriate list of Extended Latin keys.
  # Replace layout sign
  - FindBaseAddressString: "ÉÀÇ"
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0, Find: "ÉÀÇ", Replace: "RON"}
  # Change keyboard layout
  - FindBaseAddressString: "ý\0\0ÿ\0\0š\0\0ž\0\0"
  # Top row, left to right (10 keys):
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x00, Find: "ý\0", Replace: "ă"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x04, Find: "ÿ\0", Replace: "â"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x08, Find: "š\0", Replace: "ș"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x0C, Find: "ž\0", Replace: "ț"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x10, Find: "æ\0", Replace: "<"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x14, Find: "œ\0", Replace: ">"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x18, Find: "þ\0", Replace: "?"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: -56, Find: "ß\0", Replace: ","}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x1C, Find: "ij\0", Replace: "."}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x20, Find: "ŀ\0", Replace: "/"}
    # Second row, left to right (10 keys):
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x28, Find: "à\0", Replace: "q"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x2C, Find: "á\0", Replace: "w"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x30, Find: "â\0", Replace: "e"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x34, Find: "ä\0", Replace: "r"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x38, Find: "ã\0", Replace: "t"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x3C, Find: "å\0", Replace: "y"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x40, Find: "è\0", Replace: "u"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x44, Find: "é\0", Replace: "i"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x48, Find: "ê\0", Replace: "o"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x4C, Find: "ë\0", Replace: "p"}
    # Third row, left to right (10 keys):
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x50, Find: "ò\0", Replace: "a"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x54, Find: "ó\0", Replace: "s"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x58, Find: "ô\0", Replace: "d"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x5C, Find: "ö\0", Replace: "f"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x60, Find: "õ\0", Replace: "g"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x64, Find: "ø\0", Replace: "h"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x68, Find: "ì\0", Replace: "j"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x6C, Find: "í\0", Replace: "k"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x70, Find: "î\0", Replace: "l"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x74, Find: "ï\0", Replace: ";"}
    # Fourth row, left to right (8 keys):
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x78, Find: "ù\0", Replace: "î"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x7C, Find: "ú\0", Replace: "z"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x80, Find: "û\0", Replace: "x"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x84, Find: "ü\0", Replace: "c"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x88, Find: "ñ\0", Replace: "v"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x8C, Find: "ç\0", Replace: "b"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x90, Find: "đ\0", Replace: "n"}
  - ReplaceString: {Offset: 0x94, Find: "ł\0", Replace: "m"}

System fonts must be updated to display glyphs ș and ț.
more about the update
hello Semwise
plse i need help i upoaded 3 dictionaries in epub and zipjp2 and i need to convert them to my kobo but i cant use penelope its complicated for me
plse i need them plse
takfarinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 05:21 AM   #11
Semwize
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by takfarinas View Post
3 dictionaries in epub and zipjp2 and i need to convert them to my kobo but i cant use penelope its complicated for me
plse i need them plse
Not epub and mobi dictionarys. There are only pictures that you must convert into recognized text and correct. This has absolutely nothing to do with Penelope or even PyGlossary.

You have already posted a bunch of posts, but apparently have never opened epub - there is garbage inside. This can be seen even by the size of epub and mobi files.
Old 04-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #12
takfarinas
takfarinas began at the beginning.

Device: kobo h2o libra
aaah ok
thanks for the answer
so first i need to convert photos to text than i convert the text using penelope ??
a developper told me that he cans convert this files ...
in your opinion will he ?
takfarinas is offline   Reply With Quote