Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-14-2020, 10:45 AM   #1
seantmitch
seantmitch began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Viewing Kindle personal document highlights in context

Is there a way to view highlights and annotations made on personal (non-Amazon) documents on a computer, and in the body of text? I've been clippings.io to export the text of my highlights and annotations, but I would love to see them in the context of the entire books and articles that I am reading. Is this possible? I have a Kindle Oasis (9th Generation) and use a Windows computer. I know that Kindle highlights and annotations have been discussed here a lot, but I'm finding it confusing to figure out whether there is an answer to my question, so I appreciate in advance any help you all have.
seantmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:11 AM   #2
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
buy the books and sync to Kindle for PC
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #3
seantmitch

I think the union-busting Jeff Bezos is already doing just fine, thanks. But I'm not only talking about books but also articles that I read on the Kindle.
Old 04-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am pretty sure that anything you feed into the ecosystem as a personal document, using "send to Kindle" will sync . but I am not sure if K for PC can see such documents.
so take your sideloaded book, use send to kindle to send a.mobi version to a kindle address.... that's accessible wherever you are logged into same amazon account, and I think any applied highlights, annotations that you apply to that version will travel with it. test it
doesn't solve the access issue for those you have already made though

https://www.reddit.com/r/kindle/comm...s_and_reading/
Old 04-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #5
seantmitch

Thanks, Stumped. I'll give that a try.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:29 AM   #6
seantmitch

Unfortunately, personal documents don't seem to show up in Kindle for PC. But thank you, Stumped. So I still can't figure out a way to view highlights in personal documents, in the broader context of the text, and on the PC. If anyone else has additional suggestions, I'd be obliged.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The azw3r highlight and note extraction info thread has some software that might be of use to you.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 01:43 PM   #8
stumped
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by seantmitch View Post
Unfortunately, personal documents don't seem to show up in Kindle for PC. But thank you, Stumped. So I still can't figure out a way to view highlights in personal documents, in the broader context of the text, and on the PC. If anyone else has additional suggestions, I'd be obliged.
I thought that might be the case, but they do show up in kindle for android apps.

Longer term ,if you mostly sideload, kindle may not be the best suited reader for you though TBH it not simple to get highlights from kobo to pc either. There are lots of patches and hacks for Kobo though.

Last edited by stumped; 04-15-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 09:21 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You could perhaps install Android Virtual Machine (e.g. for VirtualBox), install Kindle for Android and use that to export notes from your personal documents. It’s been awhile since I played with it, but ‘in theory’ it should be possible.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #10
seantmitch

Thanks, all. I appreciate the suggestions.

Tags
annotations, highlights, kindle