Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 11:23 AM   #1
Douglas Spauding
Douglas Spauding began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Uploading TED Talks transcripts to paperwhite?

Those of you familiar with the expansive series of TED Talks lectures https://www.ted.com/talks may also know a handy transcript is available for the majority of the presentations. I am trying to find a way I can upload these to my Kindle Paperwhite. (TED does not support this functionality for the Kindle Paperwhite as this time.)

I've tried converting the text to .PDF and uploading that. The result is extremely small print that runs past the physical margins and, as such, is unreadable.

Can someone well-versed with Calibre (and perhaps TED), let me know if the former offers a way of taking these text transcripts and converting them in such a way that that they are easy/easier to read on a Paperwhite? Of course, instructions would be helpful, too.

With thanks,
Douglas
Douglas Spauding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:30 AM   #2
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Copy the text, save it is a compatible format such as txt, then use the Personal Documents service to send the file to the Kindle.

Personal Documents info:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...0634925&sr=1-1
Deskisamess is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:58 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nooks, Kindles, Sonys, Kobos, Tolinos and others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Spauding View Post
I've tried converting the text to .PDF and uploading that. The result is extremely small print that runs past the physical margins and, as such, is unreadable.
I just tested the following and it works — if you don't mind using a Courier font. I used 'afterwriting, which is designed for screenplay format (which is why it only offers Courier). You can save to PDF, but one of the "extra" choices is saving to Kindle friendly PDF (i.e., it cuts the margins to fit in a 6" Kindle eReader).

What I did is went to the English transcript on TED, hit CNTR+A to select all text and pasted it in a new document at 'afterwriting (https://afterwriting.com/). Then I deleted the superfluous stuff at the top and bottom, chose save to Kindle friendly PDF and read that file into Calibre and transferred it to the Kindle. Hopefully the screenshots make it clearer.

(The first (and last) images are the screenshots of the resulting PDF document from my Voyage — so, if you don't like the result you ignore the rest.)

EDIT: The 'afterwriting images are not in order. The second image should be the first, the first should be the second, the fourth should be the third and the third should be the fourth. The fifth is actually in the right position! (I don't know how I messed this up. Sorry.)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	17
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	174091   Click image for larger version

Name:	new.png
Views:	13
Size:	639.6 KB
ID:	174092   Click image for larger version

Name:	open.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	174093   Click image for larger version

Name:	paste.png
Views:	11
Size:	766.7 KB
ID:	174094   Click image for larger version

Name:	pencil.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	174095   Click image for larger version

Name:	save.png
Views:	8
Size:	462.4 KB
ID:	174096   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot2.png
Views:	18
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	174097  

Last edited by rcentros; 10-09-2019 at 08:08 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
Douglas Spauding
Douglas Spauding began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thank you for letting me know about this!

Thank you for letting me know about this application! True, it is a little extra preparation work--as opposed to converting the transcripts to .txt and just dropping them in the Kindle .doc folder--but the latter doesn't seem to allow me to put the accumulated articles into a Kindle "Collection."

I am hopeful your suggestion will.

My thanks to the other respondents as well.

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. -- Mark Twain
Douglas Spauding is offline   Reply With Quote