Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-22-2017, 08:22 PM   #1
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BQ Cervantes 4
Bought a broken unit: IR doesn't work, Screen is OK

I exchanged my 2nd aura hd (working) for a broken aura hd and some cash. The "new" unit came with IR broken, but IR is ok. The problem is the case, because the inners are broken and IR touch driver can't get any signal from the plastic part.

The exciting part:
The screen of the "new" device is A LOT OF better than my other device (which had, until this moment, the best aura hd screen I saw). So I replaced both motherboards and now I have an "great aura hd" and a spare kobo without touchscreen (again, because the plastic frames, not the IR) to use for a project.

I don't know, but I would like an alarm clock with an e-ink screen and a big snooze button to turn on the lights during a few seconds...

Please share your ideas about repurposing an ereader. Thanks
pazos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The "inner" black plastic has no parts, that can fail. It is a solid piece of IR transmissive plastic, shaped so that it can direct the IR emitted, on the edge of the PCB, through the scalloped part then bounce on the corner, to send it through the plastic to the internal edge and then across the gap to go on to the scallops the opposite side where it gets bounced into the IR receivers on that side of the PCB.

If something obstructs that path the touchscreen can stop working. If the parts are not aligned properly, the touchscreen can stop working.

I once spray painted the bezel of my AuraHD and got some residue on the black plastic, it was only after repeated cleaning was I able to get the touchscreen back working.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 03-23-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
pazos
cosiñeiro
pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pazos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I finally went and made a clock with my kobo (without touchscreen). I'm finishing with the software (ahem, this kind of hacks never end) and then build a proper wood frame and install a big "snooze" button.

The application is built against SDL, SDL_ttf and freetype. I use some lua code to fetch the weather from the internet.

The device has wifi disabled by default. a crontab will trigger the wifi to allow syncing the time and fetching new weather info.

I'm pretty sure I'll release this application in github sometime soon
Old 06-18-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
Hypernova
Hyperreader
Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.Hypernova solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Current: Boox Leaf2 (broken) Past: H2O, Kindle PW1, DXG;Pocketbook 360
Quote:
Originally Posted by pazos View Post
I finally went and made a clock with my kobo (without touchscreen). I'm finishing with the software (ahem, this kind of hacks never end) and then build a proper wood frame and install a big "snooze" button.

The application is built against SDL, SDL_ttf and freetype. I use some lua code to fetch the weather from the internet.

The device has wifi disabled by default. a crontab will trigger the wifi to allow syncing the time and fetching new weather info.

I'm pretty sure I'll release this application in github sometime soon
I have a second H2O that I rarely use, so I'm looking forward to this!
Hypernova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 02:22 PM   #5
pazos
cosiñeiro

The clock looks good to me and works ok in my environment, which is a buildroot rootfs built for the ocassion. AFAIK it should work OK on both Aura HD and Aura H2O with the stock OS.

Sadly, it isn't ready for distribution yet. Sharing the source wouldn't be useful without refactoring and I don't remember where I got the icons so I don't know if I'm allowed to bundle them with the software.

Right now it looks like this:

The clock is displayed always, and updated each minute with partial refresh on the e-ink screen.

The weather panel is displayed when we got the weather info from the internet (which happens at boot and each hour o-clock since booting. The weather panel is updated only when the information changes, which happens once or twice a day.

To avoid ghosting a full update of the e-ink screen is triggered each 15 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170627_200035.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	157578  
Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 PM   #6
pazos
cosiñeiro

Hey, a year ago I uploaded the source to github but forgot to update the status

https://github.com/pazos/kobo-clock

It could be nice for people who wish to run SDL applications on kobo. (E-ink handling is crappy, no input support (because I can't test).

Last edited by pazos; 03-13-2019 at 04:32 PM.