Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #1
Popup
Connoisseur
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: kindle3, paperwhite-2012, Oasis-2016
What happened to Landscape setting on Oasis?

I could have sworn that I had an option of switching to landscape mode in the 'menu options', when I first tried my Oasis last week. However, it has since updated the software to 5.7.4, and I no longer see it. The Users Manual says (on page 13) that the menu options may include "Shop in Kindle Store, Vocabulary Builder, Settings, Notes, Portrait or Landscape Mode, About This Book, About the Author, Sync to Furthest Page Read, Reading Progress and Word Wise". Does the book need to have 'Amazon Advanced Typography' (or whatever it's called) enabled for landscape mode to be an option?

I have tried with a couple of different books - including the Kindle Users Manual, but it appears to be gone.

Another thing I find lacking is on the 'home screen'. In the 'list mode', there used to be an indication of the length of each book, in a vaguely logarithmic bar chart. I haven't managed to enable that on the Oasis. Is that a problem in my understanding, or a missing feature of the Oasis?
Popup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:58 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popup View Post
Another thing I find lacking is on the 'home screen'. In the 'list mode', there used to be an indication of the length of each book, in a vaguely logarithmic bar chart. I haven't managed to enable that on the Oasis. Is that a problem in my understanding, or a missing feature of the Oasis?
The row of dots indicating the length of a book disappeared a long time ago in firmware 5.7. Amazon have indicated, though, that it will be back again in a future firmware release because many people have asked for it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:59 AM   #3
Popup
Connoisseur
Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!Popup rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The row of dots indicating the length of a book disappeared a long time ago in firmware 5.7. Amazon have indicated, though, that it will be back again in a future firmware release because many people have asked for it.
Thanks!

I passed straight from an old 1st gen Paperwhite (that hadn't been kept up-to-date) to the Oasis, and it was one of the first things I missed. I'm glad to hear that it will be coming back!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:07 AM   #4
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW 1, 2, and 3, Voyage, Oasis 2, Kindle Fire, Kobo Aura HD, Onyx Lynx
Quote:
I could have sworn that I had an option of switching to landscape mode in the 'menu options', when I first tried my Oasis last week. However, it has since updated the software to 5.7.4, and I no longer see it. The Users Manual says (on page 13) that the menu options may include "Shop in Kindle Store, Vocabulary Builder, Settings, Notes, Portrait or Landscape Mode, About This Book, About the Author, Sync to Furthest Page Read, Reading Progress and Word Wise". Does the book need to have 'Amazon Advanced Typography' (or whatever it's called) enabled for landscape mode to be an option?

I have tried with a couple of different books - including the Kindle Users Manual, but it appears to be gone.

Landscape mode is actually on the "PAGE" in Display Settings. To get to it, while in a book, tap the top of the screen and touch the "Aa" setting. It's the second tab in that pop-up menu.

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:58 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
I can't figure out how to see the list mode in the home screen.

How did you enable it?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you're talking about the separate home screen that was introduced in FW5.7, there is no list mode. The OP is talking about the library list.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:07 AM   #7
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I can't figure out how to see the list mode in the home screen.

How did you enable it?
If it is anything like the Voyage, you go deep into settings advanced and customize. Then disable the recommendations for the new home screen. Then you have the old home screen. Up top somewhere it has option for list or cover view.

Or alternatively on the homescreen page forward and you go from home screen to library.
DuckieTigger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:15 AM   #8
Popup
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Landscape mode is actually on the "PAGE" in Display Settings. To get to it, while in a book, tap the top of the screen and touch the "Aa" setting. It's the second tab in that pop-up menu.

Shari
Thanks!

In a certain light it makes more sense to have it there. But that's not what the Users Manual says. I wish they would update the UM when they change things...
Old 05-02-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
Popup
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
If it is anything like the Voyage, you go deep into settings advanced and customize. Then disable the recommendations for the new home screen. Then you have the old home screen. Up top somewhere it has option for list or cover view.
Yup, that's the one. It took a while to find - but I prefer it to the graphics-heavy default option.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post

Or alternatively on the homescreen page forward and you go from home screen to library.
The thing is, I can choose the old list-style home screen on my Paperwhite. But the Oasis doesn't have the "Personalize your Kindle" menu in the "Device Options" menu.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #11
Bob B
Connoisseur
Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob B ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Thanks HarryT. That is good to hear. Let's hope Amazon comes through.
Bob B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 12:50 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
If you're talking about the separate home screen that was introduced in FW5.7, there is no list mode. The OP is talking about the library list.
There is on my Paperwhite.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:38 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
There is on my Paperwhite.
Are we talking about the same thing here, Nate?

The library screen - the list of books on your device or in the Cloud - can be switched between "cover view" and "list view". The new home screen which was introduced in FW 5.7 to the best of my knowledge cannot; it always shows book covers.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:43 PM   #14
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Are we talking about the same thing here, Nate?

The library screen - the list of books on your device or in the Cloud - can be switched between "cover view" and "list view". The new home screen which was introduced in FW 5.7 to the best of my knowledge cannot; it always shows book covers.
The home screen on my paperwhite (5.7.4) is showing a list of books rather than the ugly new multi-panel home screen. This is an option in the settings menu.

The home screen on my Oasis (5.7.4) will only show me that new multi-panel home screen. I don't know about your device, but my Oasis doesn't have the "Personalize your Kindle" menu in the "Device Options" menu.
Old 05-02-2016, 01:50 PM   #15
odamizu
maniac
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis1 & Voyage, iOS
Quote:
... The home screen on my Oasis (5.7.4) will only show me that new multi-panel home screen. I don't know about your device, but my Oasis doesn't have the "Personalize your Kindle" menu in the "Device Options" menu.
Is your Oasis registered? The "Personalize Your Kindle" menu appeared after I registered mine.
odamizu is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
landscape, oasis