Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-23-2015, 04:21 PM   #1411
Fenrir007
Fenrir007 can extract oil from cheeseFenrir007 can extract oil from cheeseFenrir007 can extract oil from cheeseFenrir007 can extract oil from cheeseFenrir007 can extract oil from cheeseFenrir007 can extract oil from cheeseFenrir007 can extract oil from cheeseFenrir007 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Glo
I have a jailbroken PW2 9017 with 5.4.5 (downgraded it to JB then updated to 5.4.5).

I followed these install instructions:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Duok...4_Installation

Everything went seemingly smoothly (no error messages or anything), but there is no Duokan anywhere in sight. Kindle continues behaving as it did before, booting to the Kindle OS. I installed the Duokan launcher from this thread, but using it does nothing.

Anyone knows what could be happening?
Fenrir007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 07:35 AM   #1412
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Install KOreader, ignore Doukan.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #1413
Fenrir007
Fenrir007 can extract oil from cheeseFenrir007 can extract oil from cheeseFenrir007 can extract oil from cheeseFenrir007 can extract oil from cheeseFenrir007 can extract oil from cheeseFenrir007 can extract oil from cheeseFenrir007 can extract oil from cheeseFenrir007 can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Install KOreader, ignore Doukan.
Does that mean its not possible to use Duokan on a PW2 5.4.5? And is this KOreader the same in functionality as Duokan?

Also, if that is how it is, how do I remove the traces of Duokan I just installed?
Old 05-24-2015, 01:50 PM   #1414
Dexmaster
Connoisseur
Dexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle PW5 (11th gen, 6.8in)
Generally speaking a lot of people here don't like Duokan ) It's big, it's often flawed and their developers often steal code from this forum without acknowledgements. That's why developers are annoyed.

Duokan has no English support or forum(known to me) but you can find a lot of related info using Google Translate and their current thread on MIUI.

Duokan is an alternative operating system.
Duokan does not delete the typical Kindle OS, so you can dual-boot back and forth as necessary.
But there are drawbacks:
Encrypted DRM AZW files from Amazon's Kindle store cannot be read.
Wi-Fi Only. Duokan cannot use 3G of any kind, and never will support it.
You can't use Goodreads service integration and Amazon Dictionaries or any other Amazon related stuff (cloud, search etc.). *(Which you can in standard OS)

On other hand you can install and use KUAL and KOreader without a need to change OS(reboot) every time and KOreader has a lot of great features, if you'll need more interface integration you can find more stuff and hacks on this forum.
Dexmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:08 PM   #1415
Dexmaster
Connoisseur
Dexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a TexanDexmaster might easily be mistaken for a Texan

And now answering all your questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir007 View Post
Does that mean its not possible to use Duokan on a PW2 5.4.5?
It probably is possible but you did something wrong, or you did everything right it's just that they've missed something in that installation guide.

Quote:
And is this KOreader the same in functionality as Duokan?
They are essentially different as Duokan is and OS, KOreader is a reader, but I prefer KOreader. You can read a lot more file formats with both of them but Duokan is a separate OS, so if you only wish to read epub/fb2/pdf format without big system alterations I suggest using JB with some reader KOreader, CoolReader3 or Coolreader+Games. (Each of them has enough good options to be interesting)
And even for alterations I suggest using a hack, not changing OS completely.

Quote:
Also, if that is how it is, how do I remove the traces of Duokan I just installed?
I'm not sure there is a way without having it properly installed (there is an uninstall option in the settings of Duokan itself), maybe hard reset would help but I'm not sure.

Last edited by Dexmaster; 05-24-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:26 PM   #1416
Fenrir007

I see... I have to say it's kind of weird to have the forum be hostile to Duokan but, at the same time, have instructions to install it in the wiki.

Well, i'll try reinstalling it again so I might be able to uninstall it.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #1417
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
We're humans, we don't have to like everything and everyone, but that shouldn't prevent anyone from being able to talk about things .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #1418
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
I see... I have to say it's kind of weird to have the forum be hostile to Duokan but, at the same time, have instructions to install it in the wiki.
. . . .
Not so strange once you consider the dates.
I.E: Things, including opinions, change with time.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:27 PM   #1419
Fenrir007

Is it possible to do something like a full reset to wipe everything from my Kindle so to make sure the fragments of Duokan have been wiped from it since I cant uninstall it? Its
extreme, but I'm willing to do it, if only to placate my OCD (and reclaim my 300mb).

Also, if I did it, would I stay on the current firmware (5.4.5)? And I assume I would lose the jailbreak, right?
Old 05-25-2015, 01:38 AM   #1420
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Fenrir007: Installing an official update (>= 5.3) will wipe the main system clean. Doing a factory reset will clear the rest.

With the latest JB, each of these on their own won't kill the JB, but the combination of both will.

TL;DR: Do this with a jailbreak-friendly FW version. (You won't be able to do it [easily] at all on newer FW versions that restrict downgrading anyway).

Be warned that a factory reset implies re-setting up your account, which implies wireless being on, which incurs the risk of getting screwed by a silent OTA FW update.

----

All in all, it's probably not such a great idea right now.
Especially since I'm not familiar with how Duokan hooks into the boot process these days, so any of these procedures might actually screw things up completely, depending on what Duokan does to the system.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 05-25-2015 at 01:41 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:02 AM   #1421
Dexmaster
Connoisseur

Quote:
Is it possible to do something like a full reset to wipe everything from my Kindle so to make sure the fragments of Duokan have been wiped from it since I cant uninstall it? Its
extreme, but I'm willing to do it, if only to placate my OCD (and reclaim my 300mb).

Also, if I did it, would I stay on the current firmware (5.4.5)? And I assume I would lose the jailbreak, right?
In the guide you have read they use JB, KUAL and DuokanLauncher to launch it safely.

Have you tried this method? If you have on which step you have a problem?
Old 05-25-2015, 12:07 PM   #1422
Fenrir007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexmaster View Post
In the guide you have read they use JB, KUAL and DuokanLauncher to launch it safely.

Have you tried this method? If you have on which step you have a problem?
I did, its the method I followed.

I had no problems on any step - the installation itself worked, apparently (no error messages whatsoever). However, upon rebooting, my Kindle simply goes back to the Kindle OS instead of booting into Duokan. I also tried, after following it, installing the KUAL Duokan launcher, but upon pressing it, the system blinks and nothing happens. Its as if Duokan is nowhere to be found.

Also, since Im asking, I'd like to know why people in 9017 have to go to firmware 5.4.5. This is something that wasn't in the wiki explaining what to do to JB your kindle, it just mentioned that, after jailbreaking a lower firmware (which you would probably have to downgrade to, as I did), you were supposed to install 5.4.5 and the JB would remain. But what if I wanted to stay in an older firmware (one that works 100% with collections manager, for instance)? Is there any disadvantages? If not, staying on a lower FW might help with Duokan working (and then being able to uninstall it).

To clarify, the system update with the Duokan bin file did happen, and apparently worked (no errors).

Last edited by Fenrir007; 05-25-2015 at 12:08 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 05-26-2015, 06:33 AM   #1423
drummachine
drummachine can extract oil from cheesedrummachine can extract oil from cheesedrummachine can extract oil from cheesedrummachine can extract oil from cheesedrummachine can extract oil from cheesedrummachine can extract oil from cheesedrummachine can extract oil from cheesedrummachine can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle PW2
I could only install Duokan by Hand.
Try it with ssh via USBnetworking or install the KUAL Extension kterm.
Copy DK_System Folder to the root Folder of your Kindle.
Open kterm (or ssh):

cd /mnt/us/DK_system/install
chmod +x top.sh
./top.sh

I had to do this procedure twice (there was an error on my first try)

EDIT:
oops, the Folder Name is "DK_System" not DK_system", so the right command is:

cd /mnt/us/DK_System/install
chmod +x top.sh
./top.sh

Last edited by drummachine; 05-26-2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: faulty folder name
drummachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 10:19 AM   #1424
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
DuoKan Installer v2

This extension installs DuoKan via KUAL

How to use it:
Quote:
put the DK_System folder in root, install this in KUAL and run it
Spoiler:
based on #1423

v1 is here

original post:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by drummachine View Post
Try it with ssh via USBnetworking or install the KUAL Extension kterm.
created a KUAL extension with this commands, may help so:
Attached Files
File Type: zip DuoKan Installer.zip (1.4 KB, 2857 views)

Last edited by thomass; 05-27-2015 at 02:20 AM. Reason: updated the post for a better descr.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:17 PM   #1425
Fenrir007

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
created a KUAL extension with this commands, may help so:
I will try this later when I get home, thanks! So, basically, I just put the DK folder in root, install this in KUAL and run it, correct? No need to install kterm this way?

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf