Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-04-2014, 07:50 PM   #526
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It seems that the Nickel reader (firmware 3.5.0) doesn't like when the OPF and NCX files have different uid. This is required by the spec, if I remember correctly, so it could be argued that it's not a bug, but other readers can easily ignore this, while Kobo fails miserably (black screen when using the TOC, or crash and back to homepage when turning a page, with the book marked as finished).

The two book series I have bought (in ePub format, different publishers, not from Kobo), have this problem. Fortunately I'm a "power user" and I have been able to fix them, otherwise I'd be really pissed off. This kind of thing is worse than DRM.
Might be well worthwhile telling the community the books in question and also passing the info directly to Kobo; either via Customer Support, or by letting someone from Kobo who frequents this forum on an unofficial basis know so he can pass it on internally.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:07 AM   #527
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Might be well worthwhile telling the community the books in question
Sure. One is Anthony Powell's "A Dance to the Music of Time". The books are ridden with OCR errors. These I bought several years ago, maybe they are different now.

The other is Daniel Pennac's "La saga Malaussène".

Quote:
and also passing the info directly to Kobo; either via Customer Support, or by letting someone from Kobo who frequents this forum on an unofficial basis know so he can pass it on internally.
I expect people from Kobo who frequent this forum on an unofficial basis will see this thread from time to time Otherwise, I may report it through more official channels when I'm in the mood.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #528
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
jellby: I can't reproduce this with the latest beta firmware. And, when I hunted through my books for an example that would fit, I found a few books like this. None have caused me problems with the ToC.

But to check, you are referring to the following in the toc.ncx

Code:
<meta content="e03c471a-2c89-4241-986c-e60dcba32256" name="dtb:uid"/>
and in the OPF:
Code:
<dc:identifier id="uuid_id">urn:uuid:499a2178-2c3b-4bce-9f72-03b3be940b3f</dc:identifier>
Those are from a book I have no problems reading with 3.5.0.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:25 AM   #529
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
But to check, you are referring to the following in the toc.ncx

Code:
<meta content="e03c471a-2c89-4241-986c-e60dcba32256" name="dtb:uid"/>
and in the OPF:
Code:
<dc:identifier id="uuid_id">urn:uuid:499a2178-2c3b-4bce-9f72-03b3be940b3f</dc:identifier>
Yes, that's what I mean. I'm reasonably sure this is what caused the problems for me. In the first case, the reader would return to the home screen as soon as I tried turning the page past the cover. This happened with a few books in the series (I didn't test all), and it was fixed when I made sure both identifiers were equal (although I probably made some other small changes at the same time).

In the second case I got a black screen when I tried to go anywhere from the TOC, but turning pages worked fine. Again, changing the identifiers has fixed it.

Specifically, it had this (in OPF and NCX, respectively):

Code:
<dc:identifier xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" id="ean" opf:scheme="ISBN">EPUB9782072468377-54671</dc:identifier>
<meta name="dtb:uid" content="9782072468377-54671" />
And I just changed it to:

Code:
<dc:identifier xmlns:opf="http://www.idpf.org/2007/opf" id="ean" opf:scheme="ISBN">EPUB9782072468377-54671</dc:identifier>
<meta name="dtb:uid" content="EPUB9782072468377-54671" />
(but fixing a few mistakes in the text as well)

Maybe it was re-compressing the books or re-uploading them what did it, though.

Could you try with 3.5.0 to see if it's actually something fixed in the firmware or the bug is elsewhere?
Old 10-06-2014, 05:09 AM   #530
svaens
svaens began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura
kobo aura bookmark bug

Hi all,

sorry if this is not correct to post a bug finding here.
If so, please redirect me to a more appropriate place.

I found a reproducible bug in version 3.8.0 (048bb0b071, 8/22/14)

Description:
touching existing bookmark (dog-ear in top right corner of page) causes the ebook-reader kobo auro to crash and restart.

Expected to happen:
Intuitively, I expected, in touch/clicking an existing bookmark dog-ear, that the bookmark would be removed.

What happened instead:
Instead of the dog-ear being folded back/removed,
the device suddenly restarted.

This was reproducible on every attempt.
-------

Anyone else able to reproduce this behaviour?
svaens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 06:50 AM   #531
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

svaens: That has been reported and discussed quite a bit. It has been reported to Kobo and fixed for the next release.
Old 10-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #532
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
In the second case I got a black screen when I tried to go anywhere from the TOC, but turning pages worked fine. Again, changing the identifiers has fixed it.
Actually, I'm suffering the same problem with the same book, so at least in this case it's not the identifier. It may be the annotations, we know annotations are broken: without annotations the TOC worked fine, the black screen has always appeared with some annotations in the book (before and after the identifier fix).
Old 10-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #533
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

It's not just the presence of annotations. I was going to try, and now (with annotations, after a reboot) it worked fine, I played a bit (added and remove some annotation, turned some pages) and after a while I got the black screen when using the TOC again. I removed all annotations, and it was still failing. After a reboot it worked, but I haven't been able to get the black screen again, I'll probably get it in some other reading session.
Old 10-19-2014, 12:32 AM   #534
Corpsegoddess
Groupie
Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Corpsegoddess can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Not sure if this is a bug or just my Aura, but I've noticed since the last software upgrade that my Kobo will randomly create bookmarks--even when I'm not anywhere near touching the device--as well as switching back and forth between pages; again, I'm not even touching it when it does this.

I've cleaned my screen and the "edges" under the beveled black plastic border, but it still does this, sometimes several times a minute; today, after reading for about half an hour, I had 11 bookmarks created that I didn't make.
Corpsegoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 02:48 AM   #535
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo H2O, Kindle Touch
I have not had that happen on my Glo, under this or any other firmware. The closest I've come are gnat-triggered page turns, when nearby flying insects get interested in the story.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #536
trinity1
Enthusiast
trinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy bluetrinity1 can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kobo Glo
Sideloaded 3.11.0 on my Glo. Looks good. No relevant bugs so far.
trinity1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 09:33 PM   #537
SirLucas
SirLucas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by initist View Post
Product: Kobo Glo
Firmware: 3.30
Plugins: N/A
File types: N/A
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: N/A
On external SD: N/A
Steps to reproduce:
  1. Leave brightness on 1%.
  2. Press light button to turn off the light.
  3. Press light button again. The brightness doesn't turn on.
Current result: I can't turn on the brightness using the light button if it's left on 1%. I have to use the slider to turn up the light, and then slide back down to 1% to have it working.
Workaround: Leave lightness on something above 1% when turning off light.

I'm with this problem at a brand-new Glo with 3.8.0.
Should try a replacement?
SirLucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #538
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirLucas View Post
I'm with this problem at a brand-new Glo with 3.8.0.
Should try a replacement?
No, it is a bug in the firmware. It is fixed in 3.11.0. Either upgrade manually, or wait and it will upgrade when you sync sometime in the next week or two.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:26 AM   #539
sebastian
Wintersmith
sebastian doesn't littersebastian doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Aura One
I managed to crash my H2O by tapping the search bar on the home screen. Only once though.
sebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #540
arspr
Dead account. Bye
arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arspr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by arspr View Post
Product: Aura HD (but I think it's irrelevant. I'll explain later)
Firmware: 2.8.1. (b2c05cda0e, 9/20/2013)
Plugins: ???
File types: At least kepubized epubs but I suppose "official" kepubs too
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: epubs loaded through Calibre as kepubs (KoboTouchExtended Plugin in Calibre)
On external SD: No
Steps to reproduce:
[...]

Current result: Explained above
Workaround: I don't know any. (Ideas are welcome )
An update about this issue I posted ages ago about ACCESS adding extra gap around dashes and other punctuation marks when justifying text (when, therefore, you need to stretch the spaces between words).

So
Code:
This text—with a comment—will suffer it.
was converted into
Code:
This  text — with  a  comment — will  suffer  it.
instead of the correct
Code:
This  text—with  a  comment—will  suffer  it.

Some firmwares ago (I'm in 3.11) this behaviour changed and it was converted into
Code:
This  text— with  a  comment— will  suffer  it.
Look how the "before" extra gap has been removed. So it seems like a partial fix.

And it is, but the new problem is that Kobo has broken the justification along the way.

Look at the attached screenshot. When that situation happens the text is not correctly justified. I really seems as if the line length is calculated with the old behaviour ("before" and "after" gaps) but as the "before" gap doesn't happen any more, your line is shorter than it should.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Extra gap and justification.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	711.0 KB
ID:	130766  
arspr is offline   Reply With Quote