Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-22-2014, 09:20 PM   #1
Indecisive
Indecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: None
Unhappy So I'm pretty much screwed, right?

Looks like my aura HD is toast. I think. I'm posting in the faint hope that some wizard here has a fix/semi fix that doesn't cost as much as replacing the whole thing. I honestly don't know how I did this. I half suspect it wasn't actually me (looks left, looks right) but that gets me no further. I can't afford another one, I am sad. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	792
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	123228
Indecisive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
danskmacabre
Guru
danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danskmacabre ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo. Galaxy Tab S 8.4
It looks like a hardware issue to me.

Is it still within warranty?
danskmacabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:56 PM   #3
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
It's not a warranty fault, it's a smashed screen substrate, sadly.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
if it's within warranty and you have not actually dropped it or sat on it then make a fuss. I got a refund on my sony T3 when that happened but only after an extreme amount of fuss, escalation, legal threat... see the whole saga on sony forum.

these devices should be built fit for normal use, so if you've treated it as you would a fine china cup & yet the screen has failed, then insist on a replacement
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:26 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
It's not a warranty fault, it's a smashed screen substrate, sadly.

Yes, that's what it looks like to me, too.

Damaged substrates (from all kinds of brands) look like this.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Looking at your posting history, it appears that you bought this around 4/2013. If that is the case, you may be out of luck in securing a replacement from the company from which you bought it.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
3 damaged Kobo's later tells me that yes that is a damaged substrate. The wife thinks I shouldn't own anything with glass for a screen. My Samsung Galaxy Tab|Pro 8.4 is currently off for a screen replacement after only owning it for a week. Couldn't find a case that I liked here in Canada yet and ended up dropping it. Contacted Samsung to see how much to replace the screen. Turns out because it happened within 3 months of buying it they are replacing the screen free, just had to pay shipping. 3 lessons learned this time. 1) Buy a case no matter if you like it or not until you find one you do. 2) Contact the makers and ask how much it will cost to have them replace the screen for you. 3) No matter how badly you have to use the bathroom, make sure and check that there is toilet paper on the role before you sit and do not place your device on the empty dispensor because you are afraid you might step on it.

Regarding #2 lesson. This has happened to me now twice. The first time was with Kobo themselves, again this was within the 3 month period. Leaned on the screen accidently getting into my truck and cracked the screen. They replaced it at no cost including sending me a prepaid shipping box to send it back to them. This and the fact I like my Kobo has kept me coming back to them when I decide to upgrade my eReader despite bugs in the firmware. I can now say the same for Samsung. So it really does not hurt to ask, offer to pay for the screen replacement hopefully you might be surprised.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
talaivan
Groupie
talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.talaivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs-505
I use my Aura HD all the time and am sometimes not as careful with it as I should be. I paid a lot ($50?) for the Kobo case that turns the Aura hd on when opened, but it has been worth it I think. The case is quite sturdy and light. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be available anywhere anymore. I'm sure I would have totaled my reader without the case.
talaivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
Indecisive
Indecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blueIndecisive can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Yeah, I figured it looked like user caused damage to me too. I don't know what happened but I'm a crap lier and couldn't swear that I didn't cause it. I bought it at Best Buy. Thanks all, I think I needed an unbiased final word! Dang, I'm so bummed!

And yes, next time I shall spring for the case! Dang!
Old 05-23-2014, 06:24 PM   #10
Indecisive

I have a suspicion the problem may lie with my beloved tech loving nieces and nephews I was staying with. I just don't have the heart to garnish their allowance :P
Old 05-24-2014, 01:03 AM   #11
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
I use my Aura HD all the time and am sometimes not as careful with it as I should be. I paid a lot ($50?) for the Kobo case that turns the Aura hd on when opened, but it has been worth it I think. The case is quite sturdy and light. Unfortunately, it does not seem to be available anywhere anymore. I'm sure I would have totaled my reader without the case.
you were ripped - those auto-sleep cases are about $5 nowadays!- check amazon marketplace / ebay or search this forum for recommendations.
dunno how much they help if you drop a device, but they do give some protection against dropping things onto the screen. I just keep mine screen-side down, on a shelf when not in use
Old 06-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #12
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
you were ripped - those auto-sleep cases are about $5 nowadays!- check amazon marketplace / ebay or search this forum for recommendations.
dunno how much they help if you drop a device, but they do give some protection against dropping things onto the screen. I just keep mine screen-side down, on a shelf when not in use
Of course, the Kobo case is actually leather, not vinyl, FWIW.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 11:22 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've always said, a naked Reader is a Reader waiting to be damaged.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:14 AM   #14
cybmole
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayhigh View Post
Of course, the Kobo case is actually leather, not vinyl, FWIW.
so is the £5 one look on amazon marketplace
Old 06-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #15
Cyphox
Connoisseur
Cyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverCyphox exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 4 NT
so you were reading game of transvestites? is it any good?
Cyphox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, screen