Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-18-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
afpeter
afpeter began at the beginning.

Device: none
META-INF/container error

Hi all. I'm trying to create an ePub from scratch (well, sort of from scratch) for a work project. I keep getting the same error message when I try to validate it.

Here's the error message: No rootfile with media type 'application/oebps-package+xml'

Here are the guts of my META-INF/container.xml file:
<rootfiles>
<rootfile full-path="OEBPS/package.opf"
media-type="application/oebps-package+xhtml+xml"/>
</rootfiles>
</container>

My OPF file is named "package.opf".

I've compared my META-INF/container.xml file to other ePubs that I know validate and function correctly, and it seems to match.

BUT clearly something is amiss! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
afpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:01 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
shouldn't it be:
<rootfile full-path="OEBPS/package.opf" media-type="application/oebps-package+xml"/>

Is the case of the filenames and folder names ok?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:49 PM   #3
Aerys
Connoisseur
Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.Aerys is faster than slow light.

Device: iPad 2 & Nexus 7
You might want to check if your "package.opf" is inside the "OEBPS" folder only. If it's inside another folder you need to add that "sub-folder" to the declaration.
Aerys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:58 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
As Dale said, you have:

application/oebps-package+xhtml+xml

and the error message says it should be:

application/oebps-package+xml

I would start there.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
afpeter
afpeter began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks to all who replied!

When I delete "+xhtml" from the "application/oebps-package+xml" path and then try to validate the ePub, I get about 30 error messages. I originally included "xhtml" because most of the files in the OEBPS folder are XHTML, not XML.

Also, the "package.opf" file is in the OEBPS folder so I don't think that's the problem.
afpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #6
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by afpeter View Post
When I delete "+xhtml" from the "application/oebps-package+xml" path and then try to validate the ePub, I get about 30 error messages.
So now you have to fix them. What probably happened before is that the validator stopped as soon as it arrived to the first problem, while now you see all that was hidden behind.

Quote:
I originally included "xhtml" because most of the files in the OEBPS folder are XHTML, not XML.
That has nothing to do whatsoever. The media-type is the description of the OPF file itself, which must be "application/oebps-package+xml".
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:58 PM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
And XHTML is XML of course. Looking weird perhaps, but still XML.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:53 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
And XHTML is XML of course. Looking weird perhaps, but still XML.
It is an XML with a predefined DDT.

Dale
Old 07-23-2013, 12:22 AM   #9
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It is an XML with a predefined DDT.

Dale
You'd think that having DDT there would be far fewer bugs in books using XHTML.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:04 AM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
You'd think that having DDT there would be far fewer bugs in books using XHTML.
Oops, Freudian slip. I meant DTD ... or did I?

Dale