Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
Claghorn
Claghorn began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
What character encoding am I seeing?

I'm trying to convert a kindle book, and I'm looking at the unpacked mobi html and have no idea what character encoding I'm seeing. The html claims to be utf8, but that is clearly a lie. For instance, I see a Ctrl-Y (0x19) in places that clearly should be rendered as an apostrophe. Other low numbered control chars ^S, ^[, ^], etc are also apparently used for some kind of characters (I think the brackets are left and right double quote).

Anyone recognize this from kindle books they have converted? Any tools to turn it into legit utf8 or html special characters?

I suppose I can fix in manually by finding all the funny chars and seeing how the text is actually rendered on my kindle, but I was hoping someone might have encountered this before.
Claghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #2
Claghorn
Claghorn began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Finally figured this out, it was a side effect of incorrectly using the -raw option wrong in the "tidy" tool to indent my html. It apparently changed a unicode U+2019 into just 19, etc. (I thought -raw meant "leave the dadgum characters alone, but apparently not :-).
Claghorn is offline   Reply With Quote