Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
duyusa
duyusa began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Ebook Reader
Instructions for newbie.

I recently replied in the dictionary topic for PRS-500, but I did not get any help yet. I would appreciate if someone can give me some helpful advices.

This is what I posted:

Hi,
I am a newbie in this realm. I just recently got a Sony Ebook Reader PRS-500 from a friend. I definitely want to install the dictionary on the Ebook Reader, and thankfully that I found out that there exists one here. I really appreciate your help to develop and bring it to public.

Sorry for my ignorance, I tried to follow the instruction but I am stuck since I don't know where to file the internal memory of the Reader to copy the required folder to. E.g. prs/database/... I could do it with my SD card since I put it to my card reader and it show up the folder as in the instruction; however, hopeless for the Reader's internal memory.

At my first thought, it should appear as a new device in My Computer (I am using Windows XP) and I can easily access to it, but I did not find anything there. I installed the Sony Ebook Library came along with the CD from Sony to connect the reader with my laptop via USB, but still I could not know how to access to the internal memory to copy the folder.

Therefore, if anyone can give me some instruction, I would appreciate that, do I need to have some special software in order to access to the internal memory folder system of the reader (probably Flasher or something existing in the forum now). Again, I am a newbie, I hope to listen from all of you.

Sincerely
DN
duyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, DN, and lets hope someone jumps in soon to answer your question.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 03:17 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the dictionary program only works on the 505, not the 500.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:39 AM   #4
duyusa

I think I read they work both for 500 and 505, since I saw the threat also in the 500 Development Section.
Anyway, any one can give me some idea to copy file to internal memory of the reader, I am still waiting for answers. Please...

Thank you all,
Duy Nguyen
Old 02-20-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I'm sure that someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the dictionary program only works on the 505, not the 500.
From the thread it definitely works for both the 500 and 505.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duyusa
Anyway, any one can give me some idea to copy file to internal memory of the reader, I am still waiting for answers. Please...
When the Sony is attached to your computer, you should see a new hard drive added to Explorer (My Computer). I believe that the files need to be copied to that drive. Now, where on that drive, exactly, I'm not sure. I haven't actually looked at the contents of mine myself.

Last edited by JasonB; 02-20-2009 at 12:32 PM.
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
duyusa

Intuitively, I think you are right, because that was my first thought too. However, I opened My Computer on my Laptop, it just showed C drive (my main hard drive), D drive (my DVD drive), and that is all. There was absolutely no other drive or device I can check further. Anyone has the same experience like me, please share and guide me through.

Thanks
DN
Old 02-20-2009, 04:41 PM   #7
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I do know that the 500 won't mount to your computer with a drive letter, although the 505 does. I think, but I'm not sure that to run the dictionary on the 500, you need to run the dictionary from the SD card.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #8
duyusa

Yeah, one of the hack instructs to write to the internal memory. That is why I am asking. In near future, they may appear in different hacks; therefore, I want to know how to handle this issue.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
JasonB
Connoisseur
JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.JasonB is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
I do know that the 500 won't mount to your computer with a drive letter
Ah, I wasn't aware of that...
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote