Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-08-2008, 03:46 AM   #1
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair
Mike's Place doesn't litterMike's Place doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Managing sub-categories on Reader and Computer

I read research papers on many different topics, and given any topic there may be numerous subtopics comprised of a dozen or so papers each. If I try to put too much on a card I end up have to page through many pages of category topics and then a confusing 18 page mess of non-sub-categorized papers. Impossible!

Sony, I hope you are listening - nested categories!

With too much on a card it takes a long time to re-index after loading new files and I've actually had cards get their categories corrupted when I've had too many pages of categories.

Not to mention, my eBook Library on my laptop has a thousand or so books in it so finding anything on my computer is a withering exercise in delayed gratification.

Since my disks show up in my eBook Libary application I have stopped using the 'library' folder and put all my Sony Reader content under Disk D in separate folders labeled by topic and sub-folders labeled by category. Since SD and MS cards are so cheap I have purchased a handful of 1G cards and I use one card per topic and set up the categories on each card. If two topics are related I'll put one on an SD card and the other on an Memory Stick (MS), so I can have them both in the Reader at once.

This has been working great. My reader is more responsive with less data on a card. I've also noticed that if I don't store any cards in my Sony Reader the battery lasts much longer during travel.

But I'm open, if anyone has a better method,

Mike

BTW - Hey when are we going to see that firmware upgrade?
Mike's Place is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
wmrawls
Connoisseur
wmrawls began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Dell Axim X50V
I'm basically using the same system. However mine is more a function of massive books by author that I have to deal with so I have broken my files down by authors and put them on the SD cards. The Memory sticks are not as cheap in my experience so I have not purchased but a couple of those. It took more time to set things up in specific folders by authors but for me it was worth it. Especially since I tend to re read certain authors works over time. Biggest gain is not having the massive amount of time on indexing every time I popped in a 2 gig card after adding a new book(S).....I tend not to use the Sony Library function at all....but thats just me....
wmrawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 11:33 AM   #3
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmrawls View Post
I tend not to use the Sony Library function at all....but thats just me....
I hear ya. Does anyone know if Kovidgoyal has developed a category hack for his application? I sure would like something less cumbersome, but I have to use categories.

Mike
Old 05-08-2008, 11:59 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can set arbitrary tags on books in calibre and these tags are mapped to collections when you upload to the reader.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 06:18 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You can set arbitrary tags on books in calibre and these tags are mapped to collections when you upload to the reader.
Yes, but you can't nest them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Support for nested tags would require hacking the firmware.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #7
Mike's Place
Pull up a chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Great! I'll download Calibre this weekend and check it out.

Thanks.