Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Managing categories on a Kindle 3

Can I use Calibre to automatically load a book into a specified category on a Kindle 3? If so, could someone explain how to do it, please?

Thanks!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I do not believe that is supported (although I would like to be told I am wrong ). Kovid said something about the Kindle not exposing the necessary control files via the USB interface.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you!
Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 AM   #4
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
There's someone in the Kindle forum with a stand-alone Windows applet doing collection management, maybe we can lobby that person to adapt their code as a calibre feature. I've added a post there suggesting it; perhaps if others do as well we can see this feature added to calibre.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 10:08 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The only way to get the Kindle to automatically build collections based on USB interaction is to create a collections.json file and then reboot the Kindle (with the wireless turned off). Since this is simply too clunky a workaround, I lack the motivation to implement it in calibre.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-30-2010, 10:12 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The only way to get the Kindle to automatically build collections based on USB interaction is to create a collections.json file and then reboot the Kindle (with the wireless turned off). Since this is simply too clunky a workaround, I lack the motivation to implement it in calibre.
I understand entirely. Thank you for explaining.
Old 08-30-2010, 02:29 PM   #7
jacktanner
Enthusiast
jacktanner has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's clunky, but if that's what it takes, I'll take it...
jacktanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 02:47 PM   #8
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktanner View Post
It's clunky, but if that's what it takes, I'll take it...
As Kovid says - patches to implement features are always welcome.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 05:59 PM   #9
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
As Kovid says - patches to implement features are always welcome.
Not everyone knows how to do that.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
And some of us who do know how to do that do not have a kindle.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
jacktanner
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
And some of us who do know how to do that do not have a kindle.
If someone puts together a patched build that generates a collections.json file, I'll be happy to test with my Kindle and report back.

JSON is a pretty easy format to generate (and to validate), but I don't know what the fields are for collections.json .
Old 08-31-2010, 03:56 AM   #12
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktanner View Post
If someone puts together a patched build that generates a collections.json file, I'll be happy to test with my Kindle and report back.

JSON is a pretty easy format to generate (and to validate), but I don't know what the fields are for collections.json .
I did calibre's JSON metadata cache stored on readers and the collection work for Sonys. JSON is not the problem. The problem is determining for the Kindle what works and does not work, and what means what in the pseudo-DB. It took weeks to work out what the Sony's DB fields mean, and I am still discovering gotchas. This thread shows one recent example.

I can't imagine attempting similar work for a Kindle without a Kindle in hand. The initial development and subsequent maintenance would be very painful, with no personal benefit.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 08:46 AM   #13
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
I'm a firm believer that everyone has the capability to lean how to do that, so I'll fix your post:
Not everyone wants to spend the time/effort to learn how to do that.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 02:00 PM   #14
jacktanner
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaley View Post
I can't imagine attempting similar work for a Kindle without a Kindle in hand. The initial development and subsequent maintenance would be very painful, with no personal benefit.
Fair enough. Since other folks are probably trying to reverse-engineer collections.json , it may be worth revisiting this once the format is better documented.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:51 PM   #15
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
In was up until after 3 am on Friday moving 354 books in 15-odd collections. Definately a pain. But I guess that is what you get when you try to keep it as simple as possible. Any customization is impossible.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote