View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 04:57 PM   #131
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
I finally vanquished my distaste of upstart, and ported USBNetwork (the K2/3/4 one) to the K5 (Touch/PaperWhite)!

(It's available in the first post, of course ).

That means a working SSH + usbnet on boot, OpenSSH, auth via pubkeys, no sshd daemon hanging around when you're not in usbnet mode, scp & sftp, wifi, and the usual set of USBNetwork tools.

You don't need to uninstall simple_usbnet, the installer will take care of everything.

(As usual, it defaults to dropbear, but I recommend switching to OpenSSH once you have a working config, because it's way faster [no update on the libtommath regression front, so dropbear is still taking forever to auth]).

Did I mention I hate upstart with a fiery passion? Because I do. It took a few read-through of the upstart cookbook to wrap my head around it, and settle on the 'best' way to handle it, without resorting to 7 billions upstart jobs & signals... Thankfully, I got it mostly right on my first 'live' test. I'll stop ranting now, but I'd be curious to know if anyone actually *enjoys* writing upstart jobs, because, personally, it just took 1st place over qmail in the 'worst thing to configure, ever' tournament...

I updated the Wiki, too, that made the whole 'USB networking' block a good deal simpler/shorter.

Since this is based on the K2/3/4 USBNet package, I'm not mirroring the patchset (found in the kindle-x-compile-tc.tar.gz tarball) here, but it's available in said thread, and applicable to both version of the hack .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-21-2012 at 11:29 AM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote