Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 08-04-2005, 03:57 PM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Leaked photos show Treo 700 running WM

update 2: Ok we take everything back. roc a fella is the man and he deserves all credits for this scoop! More over here.

update 1: As we've guessed, this is just another lame hoax. Thanks to Kent for pointing it out to us!

We're almost stifling a yawn this time around, but yet more supposedly leaked photos have popped up of the Treo 700. It all seems a little dubious, since the photos depict the new Treo with a similar form factor as the Treo 650, with one striking difference: it runs on Windows Mobile. Check out the two photos over at PalmAddicts.

Don't kiss Palm OS goodbye yet, as this is not the first Treo 700-related rumor that turned out to be false (like the rumor that Palm's smartphone would be powered with Palm Cobalt, only days before PalmSource officially announced that Palm Cobalt would be a shot in the dark).
Old 08-04-2005, 04:15 PM   #2
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Nice hoax! NOT!
Advert
Old 08-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #3
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
If Palm switches to Windows....

It's going to be Windows vs. Linux in the handheld market too... Things could get a *bit* messy if/when that happens... Unless Apple makes a "successor" to the Newton. Then the handheld market will be exactly like the desktop... Microsoft vs. Linux vs. Apple...

*shudder* As if one battlefield isn't enough. Although I think Linux might stand a good chance of at least winning *some* ground in that battle - you don't have to strip Linux down as much as you would Windows to run on a PDA. Some smart people have full X11 running on a Zaurus. Even have Firefox, Thunderbird, AbiWord, etc. compiled and running. I think someone's even run KDE at least once. =)
Old 08-04-2005, 04:34 PM   #4
MrSaint
Little Computer Guy
MrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650 + iPaq
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
If Palm switches to Windows....
Then I wouldn't want to be PalmSource. First Tapwave, then Palm? Who with at least some past Palm OS experience would be left over?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:46 PM   #5
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I do think Palm is looking hard for an alternative to PalmOS as it's a bit risky now to be completely dependent on PalmSource and PalmOS for Linux. (But I still am hoping that will be a big success.)

But I just don't see them using Windows Mobile except as a last ditch desperation choice because of no other options. Or because MS gives them gigantic incentives to go with Windows Mobile.

More likely in my opinion is for them to just do Linux themselves. Everyone seems to be able to do it.... hobbyists, Nokia, Sharp, etc. Why not Palm?

One thing is for sure. We will certainly see a few surprises and changes in the next few years!
Advert
Old 08-04-2005, 04:50 PM   #6
MrSaint
Little Computer Guy
MrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it isMrSaint knows what time it is

Device: Treo 650 + iPaq
Bob is right, it doesn't seem right to me for Palm to jump on the Windows Mobile ship now. First it would cause a lot of confusion and anxiety among Palm OS fans; second it would directly confront Palm with a lot of potent competitors such as HP and Dell; third, didn't Palm management hint that WM is currently out of question?
Old 08-04-2005, 04:57 PM   #7
Foo Fighter
Pocketfactory.com
Foo Fighter has learned how to buy an e-book online

It's a hoax. I've already confirmed this...

http://www.pocketfactory.com/archive...treo_700_h.php
Old 08-04-2005, 05:06 PM   #8
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobR
More likely in my opinion is for them to just do Linux themselves. Everyone seems to be able to do it.... hobbyists, Nokia, Sharp, etc.
Quite true. With a little Linux knowledge, building a ROM for a device such as the Zaurus is a pretty easy process. Sharp was good about providing the tools required to build ROM images, until they dropped English support entirely... Now we're on our own, left with whatever we can make ourselves, or what's leftover from Sharp.

For example, while it's taking me an incredible amount of time to find the time to actually compile Opie for the Zaurus, once I have a good week or so to work on it, the actual compile should be relatively simple. I compiled a version for x86 Linux already, and it built without a problem, and ran perfectly. Of course there's bound to be a bit more work needed to build an ARM-Linux version, and actually put the filesystem together (although I have a base FS leftover from Sharp still), but even that should only take half a day to a day's work, including testing.

Just gotta find the time to do it.... Compiling 20 megabytes or so of source, twice, isn't quick. (QT/Embedded + Opie = almost 40 megs of code - compiles into less than 15 megs of binaries, if I remember correctly, though.)
Old 08-05-2005, 12:57 AM   #9
Antoine of MMM
Mobile Ministry Magazine
Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Antoine of MMM is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Nokia N75/N800 Internet Tablet
Dont mean to take credit, but I made that image many months ago after there was a user on Treo Central who had the original pic. I took the pic he had plus a pic of the 240x240 screen from the then recently announced hp h6515 and just fixed it a touch. The pics I still have here on my comp, and the original is most definitely a WM Treo. I was only able to pull a bit of the WM5 face from that pic as it was nicely hidden, but not enough for one who knows where to look. Now going back to my rock
Old 08-05-2005, 03:56 AM   #10
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
My prediction is that Palm will stick to OS5 and continue to customize it for their needs. The most significant new features added over the last two years (NVFS, harddrive, one-handed navigation) have originated from them (and not PalmSource) anyway. Effectively, Palm Inc. has taken over maintenance of OS5. As long as they're doing well financially - which they are - they will continue their incremental upgrade cycle and not make any radical changes.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:49 AM   #11
roc a fella
roc a fella has learned how to buy an e-book online

Thanks dude, I updated the first post! -Alex

You guys are all nuts if you don't think this is real....

I just posted more pics at howard forums

Go browse howard and you will see that i am a very credible source.

BTW I will have the cobalt version next week sometime.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:55 AM   #12
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Way c-o-o-l, roc a fella! It made it to our frontpage yesterday:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...?threadid=4661

Cannot wait to see the Cobalt version although I will probably not believe it before I can see it with my own two eyes.