Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-03-2008, 09:13 PM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Amazon Kindle 2 info, photos leaked

When words are not enough to provide the facts. Check for yourself:

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2008/...ts-way-to-bgr/

Ah, the rumor mill -- what a boring life we'd all lead without it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_Kindle2_11.jpg
Views:	1854
Size:	564.8 KB
ID:	16768   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_Kindle2_1112.jpg
Views:	1786
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	16769   Click image for larger version

Name:	normal_Kindle2_111.jpg
Views:	2054
Size:	473.0 KB
ID:	16770  
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:26 PM   #2
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Coooool!

I happen to LIKE my right-side next-page button, though (as well as having one on the left side too). I don't see myself immediately running out to buy version 2. Oh, and I *like* having scads and scads of MR formatted ebooks on my memory card. Someday, I'll be in the right mood to try that classic that I've never read yet!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 09:27 PM   #3
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I don't think I'll ever upgrade. That one is pure-'n-teed UGLY! The original wasn't pretty, but it was OK.

The only problem the new design solves is the oversized page turning buttons on the original Kindle. Who would want speakers? The keyboard looks even less easy to use. I don't know who they hired as a design engineer, but he (or she) isn't worth the salary of fast food counter help.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I am underwhelmed by this as a version 2.0. Recall from New Kindle Rumor: Kindle 2.0 in October 2008? quoting CrunchGear:

Quote:
The first is an updated version with the same sized screen, a smaller form factor, and an improved interface. The source told us that Amazon has “skipped three or four generations,” comparing the old Kindle to the 1st gen iPod and the new version to something like the sexy iPod Mini.
This is larger, and about 1/2 a generation different.

The only good part of this is that any significant software upgrades are probably portable to the existing Kindle. Unless they can pull the "not enough memory" Sony excuse.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #5
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
hmmmm... I wonder how true this is. I have to admit to being bewildered why they would make the Kindle2 bigger (without increasing the screen size). I would much prefer ditching the keyboard entirely and using a virtual touch keyboard like the PRS700. Admittedly that would add cost, but would improve the design greatly.

Looks like this is a no starter for an upgrade.

If it is true and not some happy modder prank.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 10:05 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
That looks like a soft slip cover behind the Kindle 2. I much prefer a hard cover, although the Kindle cover has its flaws.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:18 PM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
That looks like a soft slip cover behind the Kindle 2. I much prefer a hard cover, although the Kindle cover has its flaws.
The article says it comes with a pouch. My opinion is that it wouldn't protect the screen from damage. And, when I read on my Kindle, I fold the cover back and hold *that* rather than the side of the Kindle. I don't like reading on it without the cover. Yeah, it fell out a couple of times until I fixed the plastic tab thingy that keeps the Kindle in the cover.

A newly designed Kindle should have cover attachment designed into it -- the Sony 505 has an ideal solution. If this truly is the next generation of the Kindle, then Amazon hasn't learned a thing from its current user base nor from the many reviewers who have been so critical of its lack of sleekness. The one shown in this article is even clunkier than the original.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 PM   #8
crionox
Enthusiast
crionox began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, iPhone, iPad
Odd

This seems like an odd "upgrade" for the Kindle. They ditched the replacable battery (although once we get real specs and a more thorough hands-on, that might be disproved) and memory card slot for speakers that seem impractical (stereo coming out the back?), an awkward joystick navigator and a less rigid case. If the buttons really bothered you that much on the first one, then ok... but unless there's something else we don't know yet, looks like a big regression to me.

I'd be interested to know how they price this one, and if it will affect the current model's price at all.

dp

Last edited by crionox; 10-03-2008 at 10:48 PM.
crionox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 10:45 PM   #9
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I won't think that's the next Kindle until it shows up in an Amazon press release. It's almost as ugly as the first one. I think it's either a fake or a an early engineering mock-up of the next Kindle.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:00 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I'm not digging it. I'm not digging the new Sony either.

That said, I will still probably buy Kindle 2.0 because I want to play with it and I'll still be able to port my current library over.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:01 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'm going to amend my previous statement: I think the new device is _more_ ugly than the original. The original had a bunch of little quirks in the design that made the Kindle so ugly it was adorable. The new device is simply ugly. It has no appealing design.

P.S. I may call the Kindle ugly, but I do still find the design adorable.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:53 PM   #12
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I'm going to amend my previous statement: I think the new device is _more_ ugly than the original. The original had a bunch of little quirks in the design that made the Kindle so ugly it was adorable. The new device is simply ugly. It has no appealing design.

P.S. I may call the Kindle ugly, but I do still find the design adorable.
I actually like the new design. It looks slick. I think the 1st one is butt ugly. I love my Sony PRS-505 but I've been wanting a 2nd reader that uses Mobipocket. For the very 1st time, I'm thinking about a Kindle (I love their bookstore but not enough to get that ugly Kindle 1 )
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:56 PM   #13
eBookNerd
Connoisseur
eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBookNerd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ebookwise 1150, Kindle, Sony PRS 505
Well at least it's flat!
eBookNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:58 PM   #14
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Why drop the card reader? The only thing I can think of is that they may have been able to bring the price down substantially, but with e ink prices the way they are, I doubt they will be able to reduce the price enough to matter to most consumers.

The "alternative prototype" theory is certainly tempting.....
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 11:59 PM   #15
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Nope nope nope nope. I cannot believe this is a 'real' photo. The earth has tilted on its axis, and the bottom has fallen out of my world.

Here is my question.

How do we know this is an authentic photo? Any geek can make a mock-up. With all the rumors flying about a Kindle 2, taking it to the next level showing pics wouldn't be beyond belief. Is the "leaker" so trustworthy as to be believed without questions?

If it is real, including a pouch is just stupid. It needs more protection than that. A miniature joystick?? No replaceable battery? Judas H. Priest!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote