Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-23-2015, 10:23 AM   #1
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Voyage - uneven lighting?

Just got my Voyage and the only thing I'm disappointed with is it still has uneven lighting. Much better than PW1 and better than PW2, but still noticeably darker at the top of the screen than the bottom, which puts me off using Auto Brightness, as I like to keep the light low enough so I can't notice the uneven-ness, because it really catches my eye and irritates me.

Worth replacing with Amazon or all they all like this? It's not so bad I couldn't live with it, just mildly annoying since most of the reviews I read didn't mention it or even praised the even-ness of the lighting
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:44 AM   #2
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, PW SE & Kindle 2022, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
Just got my Voyage and the only thing I'm disappointed with is it still has uneven lighting. Much better than PW1 and better than PW2, but still noticeably darker at the top of the screen than the bottom, which puts me off using Auto Brightness, as I like to keep the light low enough so I can't notice the uneven-ness, because it really catches my eye and irritates me.

Worth replacing with Amazon or all they all like this? It's not so bad I couldn't live with it, just mildly annoying since most of the reviews I read didn't mention it or even praised the even-ness of the lighting
They are all like this, some better than others. I use auto brightness and it's not a problem. You can 'train' auto brightness to keep to the levels you like.

If you bought your Voyage from Amazon and its within 30 days you can return it and get a Paperwhite.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-23-2015, 10:59 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
If you bought your Voyage from Amazon and its within 30 days you can return it and get a Paperwhite.
The OP states that it's "better than the PW2", so probably no point in doing that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:07 AM   #4
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
How do you "train" the auto brightness?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 11:10 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just manually adjust the brightness up or down while keeping the "auto-brightness" box checked. The system will learn your preferred brightness level.
Advert
Old 02-23-2015, 12:11 PM   #6
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I have no problem with uneven lighting on either my Voyage or my Paperwhite 1.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
I have no problem with uneven lighting on either my Voyage or my Paperwhite 1.
They all have a top to bottom brightness variation, but some people notice it and some don't. Take a photograph of your screen and measure the pixel brightness levels. You'll find that it's darker at the top than the bottom (simply because the bottom is where the lights are, of course!).
Old 02-23-2015, 01:03 PM   #8
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I didn't say I couldn't see it. I said I had no problem with uneven lighting. Of course, light at the source, the LED bulb, is brighter than at the other end of the device but as a practical matter is so minimal I don't notice it.

Why take a photo and measure pixel brightness? This reminds me of the photographer who shot only medium-format film and said he could tell from looking whether a print was made from film or digital. So, I challenged him to tell me which pictures on my wall, 11x14 and 8x12 prints, were film and which were digital. He said, "I didn't bring my 10X loupe. I laughed and said, "If it takes a 10X loupe then as a practical matter there is no difference.

That's me with the Kindle. Some people love to complain. Me? I love to read.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:26 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:

That's me with the Kindle. Some people love to complain. Me? I love to read.

pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Why take a photo and measure pixel brightness?
Simply because it gives one an objective, rather than a subjective, measurement.

If the OP has a problem with it, then for him it IS a real problem, regardless of what anyone else's opinion might be.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:35 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre 1, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle, Kobo Libre Colour
Turn the auto brightness off, if you like the results better.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 10:41 PM   #12
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
My autobrightness quit after a couple of days, it just stayed at 9. A factory reset will probably fix it, but I'm feeling lazy.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 07:20 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You have to keep fiddling with it....which sort of defeats the purpose, but maybe after it's been fiddled with enough, it will do what it's supposed to.

I haven't seen any results of the night light function, where it's supposed to brighten slowly.

I am one of the odd people that likes the lighting really high....for a whiter screen. I had to fiddle with it quite a bit, but it seems to stay high, now. There's probably no benefit to having auto brightness turned on, for me. But it's ticked on for now.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:27 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
I haven't seen any results of the night light function, where it's supposed to brighten slowly.
No, it's the other way around - it dims slowly, to take account of your eyes becoming adapted to the dark.
Old 02-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, it's the other way around - it dims slowly, to take account of your eyes becoming adapted to the dark.
Oh, I didn't realize. So to test it, walk into a dark room and see if it dims? I'll give it a try.