Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-18-2014, 06:00 PM   #1
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Device: JuliusvonJD
Problem with reconverting k2PDFOpt to EBUB

I was thinking of reconverting all my k2PDFOPT books to Epub because PDF are much much larger and take up a lot of space.I tried with Calibre but the converted EPUB files come out in my Android readers as a tiny page ( about 1/4 of the tablet's screen ) with very small characters. Neither the size of the page nor the font size nor the background color can be adjusted,Normally all this can be done easily with native EPUB files.
Maybe I should mention that that these k2PDFOpt files were converted from the original PDF format because they were probably scanned books and they could not be opened with my tablet's E-Reader. Now they can and the k2PDFOpt software has been an invaluable tool for me, but the average PDF size is too big (about 50 MB avg per book), whereas it would be 8 MB or less with EPUB. And I have a lot of them!
Is there any solution?

Thanks

Ittiandro
ittiandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2014, 08:47 PM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Please post responsibly. You posted to the General Discussion forum, which is only for

"General discussions about e-book reading not specific to a device, software or format."

Now moved to Calibre Conversion.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:11 PM   #4
ittiandro
Connoisseur
ittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notesittiandro can name that song in three notes

Calibre PDF to Epub conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Thanks for the link. I downloaded the Moby Pocket software. Unfortunately, it is of no use to solve my problem. It does not even let me import the PDF files to try the conversion, IF THERE IS A CONVERSION FEATURE.
Somebody said PDF is the crappiest of all. May be, in terms of size, because they are really huge. For the rest,all my K2PDFOPT converted books read fine. I just wanted to convert to EPUB to reduce the size, but it didn'work with Calibre. May be there is another software I can try. So my original question remains.
THanks

Ittiandro
Old 08-18-2014, 11:03 PM   #5
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ittiandro View Post
Thanks for the link. I downloaded the Moby Pocket software. Unfortunately, it is of no use to solve my problem. It does not even let me import the PDF files to try the conversion, IF THERE IS A CONVERSION FEATURE.
@ittiandro - I use Mobipocket Creator most days of the week to convert PDF to HTML/PRC which I calibre convert to EPUB and or RTF.

Simplest way to use it is: Start program and drag/drop a PDF onto front page, or follow the Import From Existing File->Adobe PDF link on the 'front page'. Don't use the File->Open - that's about creating something from scratch. See attachment.

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	152.2 KB
ID:	127045  
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-18-2014, 11:08 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Somebody said PDF is the crappiest of all. May be, in terms of size, because they are really huge. For the rest,all my K2PDFOPT converted books read fine. I just wanted to convert to EPUB to reduce the size, but it didn'work with Calibre. May be there is another software I can try. So my original question remains.
THanks

Ittiandro
It's not so much the size, as the fact that internally, PDF text is represented by a bunch of individual paragraphs (instead of lines) floating on a page, with additional code to place it somewhere. In the worst cases, the lines are totally mixed up, and dropcaps are always misplaced. Headers/footers are the norm, which leaves random text sprawled all over the book, and PDF "cropping" tools usually only hide it instead of removing it. NO formatting beyond basic bold/italics stuff can be preserved -- because the PDF never had it to begin with. And other problems.

There are suggestions and workarounds in the linked thread. Mostly, you should just be aware that there is no software, nothing, that will turn a PDF into a decent ebook without at least some manual tweaking. (Barring a miracle and a really lucky PDF that is very simple.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #7
ittiandro
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@ittiandro - I use Mobipocket Creator most days of the week to convert PDF to HTML/PRC which I calibre convert to EPUB and or RTF.

Simplest way to use it is: Start program and drag/drop a PDF onto front page, or follow the Import From Existing File->Adobe PDF link on the 'front page'. Don't use the File->Open - that's about creating something from scratch. See attachment.

BR
I have dragged the PDF file into the main screen, as you directed.The import conversion to xml kicks in until about 15% of the process then it stops abruptly with an " import failed" message.
This PDF file was a k2PDFOpt converted file which worked fine on my tablet. I also tried the original PDF file before the conversion with k2PDFOpt, but the result with Mobi Pocket was the same.
As mentioned in a previous post, I think this original PDF file was a scanned file. I could not read it in my tablet until I converted it with k2PDFOPT. Anyway they don't work with Mobi Pocket.

Thanks

Ittiandro
Old 08-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Anyway they don't work with Mobi Pocket.
If the PDF is constructed from images then use an OCR program to scan them, Some PDF readers have lightweight OCR capabilities, the best OCR software is probably Abby Fineprint - maybe worth the investment if you have many to do.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote