Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-06-2021, 12:38 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Kindle for PC Won't Launch

Although I don't use it much, I find the Kindle for PC useful on occasion. But a couple of months ago it was updated.

My OS is Windows 7, the K 4 PC is version 1.30.0.59056
When I click on the icon a box pops up asking if I'll allow this to make changes to my computer, I click Yes, but nothing happens. I've tried putting it into compatibility mode, but this doesn't solve the problem.

I would be grateful for any ideas before I do battle with Amazon's Customer Service.
Thanks.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:53 PM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
They don't support Windows 7 anymore so I doubt Amazon will be much help. Neither does Microsoft. If you want to continue to use an old unsecured OS try an older version.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-06-2021, 03:07 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
1.17.x still works. Try that version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 07:00 AM   #4
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
1.17.x still works. Try that version.
I just tried 1.17.1 and it came up. This was on Windows 10.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 04:24 PM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I just tried 1.17.1 and it came up. This was on Windows 10.
How do I turn it back to 1.17.1? I can't find anything on the Manage Devices etc on Amazon. Older versions of the software don't seem to be available there.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-10-2021, 05:00 PM   #6
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
How do I turn it back to 1.17.1? I can't find anything on the Manage Devices etc on Amazon. Older versions of the software don't seem to be available there.
I don't realky know the best way. I woudd uninstall the current version of Kindle for PC, google for version 1.17.1and download and install it. The first time you run it, as quickly as possible make sure install new updates automatically (or something like that) is disabled.

And probably wait for someone with a more confident answer.

Good luck.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 05:59 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
See the end of the first post in the thread Dealing with Kindle for PC/Mac 1.19 and KFX in calibre for information about how to find older versions of Kindle for PC, verify that they are uncorrupted, and prevent them from updating.

Be warned that the latest Kindle for PC release contains a statement that could be interpreted as implying Amazon will discontinue downloading new books using older versions of that software at some point.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2021, 03:13 PM   #8
Bookchin
Connoisseur
Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookchin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Had the same problem around the same time: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=337189

There was a problem with the February update. I believe they have it fixed now as I re-downloaded the PC reader app and it worked. There is a notice with the latest build warning people that Kindle will no longer have support in Windows 7.

I suggest to try re-download.
Bookchin is offline   Reply With Quote