Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 PM   #1
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Is sending eBooks to Kindle via virtual router possible?

I wonder if this process is possible? (from a windows 7 to kindle 3 via virtual router connection)
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Could you elaborate? What do you mean by that?
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I currently use usb to send books to kindle. there is a way to connect kindle to internet on virtual router through a computer: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128247
Then I wonder if there is a way to send books through this connection (offline, just from pc to kindle)
Old 04-09-2011, 02:23 AM   #4
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
You can either email books for free to your kindle using the yourname@free.kindle.com adress amazon puts at your disposition, or you can download books with the kindle browser from the calibre server if you use the calibre freeware, which has a dedicated sub forum here : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166
For those two mode you will not need your usb cable, I use both all the time and it works really well, and it is the simplest way for me. If you use the calibre server solution, just remember to keep calibre (and evidently then the PC) running.

Last edited by aceflor; 04-09-2011 at 02:09 PM.
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #5
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceflor View Post
you can download books with the kindle browser from the calibre server if you use the calibre freeware, which has a dedicated sub forum here : https://www.mobileread.comi/forums/fo...play.php?f=166
Thanks , I'll try . (although not exactly what I search for )
link is broken, could you fix?

Last edited by thomass; 04-09-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Advert
Old 04-09-2011, 09:58 AM   #6
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
I know nothing about virtual routers, but I only use the USB cable when I need to transfer an ebook that is too large to send via email. Since I have a wifi only K3, I use @kindle.com address and send any book I wish via Calibre's excellent connect/share button. If you have a 3g Kindle, use the @free.kindle.com address.

I know that these type batteries have a finite number of charge cycles, so I always use wifi to transfer my ebooks to save on the charge cycles. Plus, it is very simple and easy to do and I only have to remember to switch wireless on to get my ebooks that are waiting to be d/l to the K3.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
I think he means that he wants to send stuff over wifi (probably NFS or samba) possibly ftp.

There is no way to do this that is supported by the default firmware. Someone could write a daemon and compile some binaries to do it if they really wanted to, but it's honestly not worth it. Just use the mail feature since it will send over wifi if you have k3. If you have a K2 or DX however, you are out of luck with the 3g radio =X

If you do have a 3g only model, you could do the following:

Run a simple webserver (such as thttpd on a router flashed to wrt based firmware) or get hosting somewhere with apache or whatever.

Upload your books to your server directory, and then open the kindle browser and download them from your webserver. You can protect the webserver directory if you like with a password.. k2 and k3 browser supports password authentication, just set up your .htaccess file on the webserver, though IDK why you would need to do this if it's just for yourself (more useful if you are sharing with your family/friends).

Last edited by curstpriest; 04-09-2011 at 12:01 PM.
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:57 PM   #8
dixieknits
Addict
dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dixieknits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook Color
I don't really understand much of the above posts, but I successfully sent a non drm mobi book to my gmail email account and was able to download it onto my Kindle3. It originated as a bargain sale book from B&N for my Nook Color which they had not drm'd, so I was able to convert to Mobi for my Kindle. Most of my epubs are drm'd so I can't usually do this, so I've done the reverse and now buy from Amazon and if I want to read on backlit Nook Color(rooted), I load it into the Kindle ap. I've found Amazon's selection better and pricing also.
dixieknits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
aceflor
Wizard
aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aceflor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Pocketbook Inkpad 4, Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Scribe
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=166
Now it should work
aceflor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:16 AM   #10
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

I can SSH into my Kindle and load files onto it wirelessly. However, both the Kindle and the computer are connected to my local router. I am unsure as to whether or not it would work with this "virtual router" software.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:02 AM   #11
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
I can SSH into my Kindle and load files onto it wirelessly. However, both the Kindle and the computer are connected to my local router. I am unsure as to whether or not it would work with this "virtual router" software.
This is closest answer to the my problem. Could you expand a little( or a link, etc..) I'm looking forward to..
(And thanks to aceflor...)
Kranu: Do you recommend this: http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=117033
(I haven't done anything about hacking my kindle yet. Do I really need this to get access to kindle? And I currently use windows 7. I really want to use wireless to send files to kindle, please help...)

Or this one seems to be simplier. But still need jb? I only want to gain access to send reading documents only, not to change system files...
Code:
 Hey, I already have a ssh connection via wifi. Just need to edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables and set the INPUT policy to ACCEPT (default is DROP).

Then reboot your kindle, ;debugOn and ~usbNetwork and it's done. SSH server over wifi!!

(tested on a k3wifi)
source:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96391 post from:badNick

Last edited by thomass; 04-10-2011 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:37 PM   #12
kranu
I <3 my Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
This is closest answer to the my problem. Could you expand a little( or a link, etc..) I'm looking forward to..
(And thanks to aceflor...)
Kranu: Do you recommend this: http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...d.php?t=117033
(I haven't done anything about hacking my kindle yet. Do I really need this to get access to kindle? And I currently use windows 7. I really want to use wireless to send files to kindle, please help...)

Or this one seems to be simplier. But still need jb? I only want to gain access to send reading documents only, not to change system files...
Code:
 Hey, I already have a ssh connection via wifi. Just need to edit /etc/sysconfig/iptables and set the INPUT policy to ACCEPT (default is DROP).

Then reboot your kindle, ;debugOn and ~usbNetwork and it's done. SSH server over wifi!!

(tested on a k3wifi)
source:https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96391 post from:badNick
Hey,

If you want the simplest method, just use Amazon's email functionality. The downside is that there is a delay, and you can only send books. (Calibre integrates with the email functionality, too)

If you really want SSH access, please keep in mind that it is rather complicated. To start you off, download both the Jailbreak and the USBNetwork from this thread. Install the jailbreak, then USBNetwork. The thread has instructions on how to install them. Once you install both of them, take a look at the instructions inside of the USBNetwork archive.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:46 AM   #13
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kranu View Post
f you really want SSH access, please keep in mind that it is rather complicated. To start you off, download both the Jailbreak and the USBNetwork from this thread. Install the jailbreak, then USBNetwork. The thread has instructions on how to install them. Once you install both of them, take a look at the instructions inside of the USBNetwork archive.
I'd just installed this, and will try to ssh... but before should: much

I managed to connect to my Kindle!.. at last..
(but through a real router for now.)

a quick guide to anyone who do not know how to do:
Here is how I got ssh over wifi working with auth keys in a Windows environment:
Install usbnet hack after jailbreak.
Mount kindle and edit file \usbnet\etc\config
K3_WIFI="true"
K3_WIFI_SSHD_ONLY="true"
Download and run puttygen: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~s.../download.html
With (x) SSH-2 RSA selected, click Generate.
Copy the text under 'Public key for pasting into OpenSSH authorized_keys file'.
Paste into a new file named authorized_keys
If you plan to use the filezilla client for sftp, do not enter a key passphrase as that is not supported. Click Save Private Key to the local PC.
Copy file authorized_keys to \usbnet\etc\
Unmount kindle.
Turn on WIFI. The kindle should obtain an IP address from your wireless access point. A quick way to find the kindle's IP is to go to Settings and then type 711. On a private WIFI network, set up a DHCP IP reservation so your kindle IP is always the same. Or just change your kindle wifi settings for a static ip address (the usbnet config file can not be used to set the WIFI ip address).
On Kindle, type:
;debugOn
~usbNetwork
;debugOff

To connect with WinSCP client to transfer files:
Create a new session filling in fields for 'Host name', User name (root), and Private Key File (WinSCP does not support private key passphrases).
To add a custom command for refreshing the Kindle:
Preferences > Commands > Add...
Description: Refresh Kindle
Custom Command: dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.powerd.resuming int32:1
(x) Remote command
Select a Keyboard Shortcut if you like.
To invoke the command, either Files > Custom Commands > Refresh Kindle
or Options > Toolbars > Custom Command Buttons or use the keyboard shortcut if defined.

Note that if you reboot your Kindle, the hack is disabled and you have to run the following commands again:
;debugOn
~usbNetwork
;debugOff

Alternatively, to have usbnet be enabled after a reboot, simply rename \usbnet\DISABLED_auto to auto and reboot.

Since you're using SSH over wifi instead of over usb, a setting of 'auto' is not so dangerous since you can still mount the kindle over usb to fix something. People using networking over usb can run into an issue where they change something on the kindle that prevents them from connecting over SSH, but since they have auto enabled, they can't mount the kindle to fix it.

source:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...85#post1181285 post from:badbob001

REMARK: "dbus-send --system /default com.lab126.powerd.resuming int32:1" from shell of Winscp does refresh the home page to show new documents

Last edited by thomass; 04-11-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #14
thomass
Wizard

bottom line
I managed to ssh into kindle through virtual router,too
(with the same procedure)

Last edited by thomass; 04-11-2011 at 01:46 PM.