Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #16
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
FWIW, we've known something was coming since the release of FW 5.7.3.1.

Signs point to a new Basic model (codename Woody), and... something weirder in terms of hardware gimmicks (pageturn? buttons, accelerometers (plural?), no haptic feedback, and something weird which I can't remember right now. codename Whisky), which looks like an hybrid between a PW and a Voyage... But at the same time appears to be supported by the PW3 FW, so, we'll see...
Both would run on a new storage solution at the HW level. And a new mainboard (codename Duet), so, possibly an updated CPU?

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-05-2016 at 01:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2016, 04:41 PM   #17
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post

Signs point to a new Basic model (codename Woody), and... something weirder in terms of hardware gimmicks (pageturn? buttons, accelerometers (plural?), no haptic feedback, and something weird which I can't remember right now. codename Whisky), which looks like an hybrid between a PW and a Voyage... But at the same time appears to be supported by the PW3 FW, so, we'll see...
Both would run on a new storage solution at the HW level. And a new mainboard (codename Duet), so, possibly an updated CPU?
I personally would love a new 'basic' model with page turn buttons. I still use my K4nt every night. I'd love one with a built in light.
S
Advert
Old 04-05-2016, 04:51 PM   #18
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
AFAICT, the buttons are only for the higher-end model .
Old 04-05-2016, 08:31 PM   #19
gmercator
Enthusiast
gmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timegmercator possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: PW2, PW3, Fire 7, Fire HD8
Quote:

Hmmmm.... the plot thickens....

There have been some publicity leaks about the new Kindle model... notably from the Wall Street Journal... I am going to copy and paste that article here because the link has gone to a paywall several times for me...

By GREG BENSINGER
April 5, 2016 4:41 p.m. ET
1 COMMENTS
Amazon.com Inc. is betting on batteries to drum up more sales of its popular line of Kindle e-readers.

In a first for the Seattle online retailer, Amazon will soon sell a higher-end Kindle with a rechargeable protective case for extended battery life, according to a person familiar with the matter. This removable cover will allow the Kindle to be thinner than earlier devices.

Also under development is a separate Kindle case with a battery that can be charged using solar power. It is unlikely this case will be released in the immediate future, another person familiar with the matter said.

Amazon’s chief executive, Jeff Bezos, said Monday on Twitter that an “all-new, top of the line Kindle” is almost ready, and promised the company would reveal details next week.

Pricing for the latest devices couldn’t be learned. A spokeswoman declined to elaborate on Mr. Bezos’s tweet.

The new Kindle and case are code-named “Whiskey” and “Soda,” respectively, and the solar-powered case is known internally as “Sunkiss” among engineers at Lab126, Amazon’s Silicon Valley hardware development unit, one of the people said. The division is responsible for other Amazon devices including its Echo virtual assistant, Fire tablets and Fire TV set-top box.

The latest devices would help to solidify Amazon’s dominance in e-readers. Rivals like Rakuten Inc.’s Kobo and Barnes & Noble Inc.’s Nook have failed to gain significant traction, in part because of Mr. Bezos’s stated commitment to selling devices at or near cost to keep prices low.

Amazon has also tied e-books and e-readers into its popular Prime program, offering occasional discounts exclusively to members of the $99-per-year service. Today, for instance, Prime members can buy various Kindles with price cuts of as much as 38%, presumably to clear inventory for the new devices.

The Kindle was Amazon’s first consumer electronics device, released in 2007 for $400. As Amazon cut prices it has proven to be the company’s signature gadget, with about a dozen different iterations including a large-screen version and the highest priced model, the $199 Voyage.

Because the devices are durable, one challenge has been compelling readers to buy upgraded versions, according to people familiar with the matter, though Amazon says it is content to make money off e-book sales even for older model Kindles. The company has never released details about Kindle sales.

The new Kindle device follows Amazon’s rollout of voice-activated speakers last month known as Dot and Tap and an expanded lineup of thumb-sized devices allowing customers to summon specific products with the push of a button.

The solar-powered case fits with a broader ambition at Amazon to reduce its environmental impact, though its overseas manufacturers may have different aims. Amazon’s cloud computing AWS unit uses wind and solar power at several of its data centers.

It has a stated goal of getting 40% of its power from renewable energy sources by year-end, from 25% last April.

The new Kindle is codenamed 'Whiskey'.... and talk of "solar-powered recharging"

I wonder if the new Kindle model(s) will fit normal cases as well as the new "tech-oriented" case(s) they are planning to roll out

Last edited by gmercator; 04-05-2016 at 08:33 PM. Reason: quotes
Old 04-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #20
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
From this it sounds like a trade off of a thinner lighter device with less battery life vs using the case to get back battery life and live with the weight and larger size. Solar charging cover wouldn't interest me since I charge my reader so infrequently anyway.
Advert
Old 04-06-2016, 06:05 AM   #21
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Have fun voting for what features you think the new high-end Kindle will have!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=272755
Old 04-06-2016, 06:10 AM   #22
pickyaxe
Addict
pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pickyaxe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I really hope it's Liquavista. Black and white for all I care.

As the other guy above me said, I'll be throwing my money at my screen. Despite preferring Kobos over Kindles.
Old 04-07-2016, 12:44 AM   #23
rpv
Enthusiast
rpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enoughrpv will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX
Slightly larger screen and higher resolution. It is going to be great. I will be the first to order one now. I have not ordered one for past several years though I have the Sony reader and ordered Good Ereader (both 13.3" which amazon cannot compete anyway)
Old 04-07-2016, 12:50 PM   #24
JimmyG
Zealot
JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.JimmyG solves Fermat’s last theorem while doing the crossword.

Device: Kindle Touch, Voyage
From the Kim Komando website:

Quote:
No matter what the product, there's always the perfect time to buy. With that in mind, we're going to recommend you NOT buy a new Kindle from Amazon. At least not until Amazon releases its new, eighth generation Kindle.

The new Kindles, being code-named "Soda" and "Whiskey" will be thinner, have a solar-powered rechargeable battery case and will work with other Amazon services like Dot and Tap, that let you order products from Amazon with the tap of a button.
But that could just be a garbling of the WSJ article.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:41 PM   #25
Waitingforatrain
Groupie
Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waitingforatrain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyG View Post
From the Kim Komando website:

But that could just be a garbling of the WSJ article.
If that is the case then I will likely just continue using my Voyage which is perfect for me.
Old 04-09-2016, 02:22 AM   #26
jsonora
jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'jsonora understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle PW1/PW2/Voyage, Kobo Glo/Aura
Some strange names are found in amazon.co.jp
"Kindle Oasis"??
http://www.amazon.co.jp/b/ref=sv_kin...ode=2408696051
(under Kindle Voyage)

And "Whiskey Accessories"
http://www.amazon.co.jp/b/ref=amb_li...d_i=2408696051

How about your countries?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oasis.png
Views:	545
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	147706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Whiskey.png
Views:	511
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	147707  
Old 04-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #27
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsonora View Post
Some strange names are found in amazon.co.jp
"Kindle Oasis"??
http://www.amazon.co.jp/b/ref=sv_kin...ode=2408696051
(under Kindle Voyage)

And "Whiskey Accessories"
http://www.amazon.co.jp/b/ref=amb_li...d_i=2408696051

How about your countries?
I have not heard about Oasis in the US, but I have heard Whisky & Soda mentioned with the new device. I'm thinking that if it's not called Voyage 2, then I think " Destination " has a nice ring to it .
Old 04-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:

So, it'll be a Kindle 1 - all over again!
Old 04-10-2016, 08:32 AM   #29
bluen
Enthusiast
bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.

Device: kindle
https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/362554

Job posting April 7 for kindle ebooks software developer suggests they want to expand kindle into other Amazon businesses: eperiodicals audio books and indie publishing are highlighted
Old 04-10-2016, 08:34 AM   #30
bluen
Enthusiast
bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.bluen is less competitive than you.

Device: kindle
"be helping to hire the team, build new and maintain existing systems and features and but most importantly evolve the platform to make it scale, configurable and expand into other areas"
Closed Thread